Anyone else concerned about special teams?

cale

Special teams was our Achilles Heel last season and I haven't seen any significant steps to correct our problems. Just the addition of Dixon and Graham and our ST coach "breaking it down" for players, ain't gonna fix it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-5---Red-zone-a-focus/04f62564-dc97-4d22-8b35-4cdba15d4be0

Also why the heck is CJ Spiller back there returning kicks? Seems that puts him at unnecessary risk.

C

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am less concerned than last seasons end.

Bills definitely upgraded ST talent and probably have those "core " players now.

Proof is in the pudding.

Worried . Nope.

not yet anyways

Edited by 3rdand12

Pays to be friends with Marrone apparently. Crossman took one of the better special teams units in the league to one of the worst and gets to keep his job. Basically the same thing he did in Detroit before he got run out of town. For many years special teams was one of the only things we were good at. Now it's our weakness and costs us games (Cinci). Hopefully they have this guy on a short leash. They got him players so let's see what he can do with them

Edited by kdiggz

Special teams was our Achilles Heel last season and I haven't seen any significant steps to correct our problems. Just the addition of Dixon and Graham and our ST coach "breaking it down" for players, ain't gonna fix it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-5---Red-zone-a-focus/04f62564-dc97-4d22-8b35-4cdba15d4be0

Also why the heck is CJ Spiller back there returning kicks? Seems that puts him at unnecessary risk.

C

Yes and no. I think that the coverage units will improve and hopefully they found a punter in Dombrowski. Crossman does not have a very good track record though so that scares me.

I may be in the minority here but I like Spiller as a return option. I always thought that he should be used as a Swiss Army Knife type of player. I want him used like Reggie was in New Orleans. Get him the ball some on the ground, more in the air and also on returns. He is a home run threat so anytime he gets touches in space he can make a big play. I do not think that it is ideal to hand him the ball 20+ times a game. He takes too much of a pounding that way and his effectiveness is limited. If he had something like 8-10 carries, 4-5 catches and all returns that would be the best case scenario IMO.

http://www.buffalobi...35-4cdba15d4be0

C

as long as what's-his-name is still coaching them, YES, good reason to be concerned

Spiller should totally be returning kicks. That's not an unnecessary risk. That's like half of his talent.

Yes and no. I think that the coverage units will improve and hopefully they found a punter in Dombrowski. Crossman does not have a very good track record though so that scares me.

I may be in the minority here but I like Spiller as a return option. I always thought that he should be used as a Swiss Army Knife type of player. I want him used like Reggie was in New Orleans. Get him the ball some on the ground, more in the air and also on returns. He is a home run threat so anytime he gets touches in space he can make a big play. I do not think that it is ideal to hand him the ball 20+ times a game. He takes too much of a pounding that way and his effectiveness is limited. If he had something like 8-10 carries, 4-5 catches and all returns that would be the best case scenario IMO.

I'm not questioning his talent. It's just that if his upfront blocking sucks, he's gonna get killed...

Edited by cale

as long as what's-his-name is still coaching them, YES, good reason to be concerned

You might be suprised what a second year and some continuity with both players and coaches will do for a team . i fully expect much better play from ST.

But then again , I might be surprised if they dont look average or above average or better than that !

Edited by 3rdand12

I think much of the issue last year was personnel related. The punting was horrendous and the coverage units were made up of guys that shouldn't have been out there in some cases (i.e. Robert Woods).

Am I concerned? Sure. Do I think it's the team's biggest on-field worry? Not a chance...in fact, I'm hoping that, by the end of the year, we can look at this team and say that ST is the area where they need the most improvement.

You might be suprised what a second year and some continuity with both players and coaches will do for a team . i fully expect much better play from ST.

But then again , I might be surprised if they dont look average or above average or better than that !

Problem is crossmans units have traditionally gotten worse, not better.

We added special teams talent to the roster - and seemingly without hurting the players primary positions - so that's good - but I put zero confidence in Crossman as a coach.

Problem is crossmans units have traditionally gotten worse, not better.

We added special teams talent to the roster - and seemingly without hurting the players primary positions - so that's good - but I put zero confidence in Crossman as a coach.

I fully understand your position .

i think Whaley is already developing dialogue if Danny does not step up .

I suspect it was a favor of sorts and how the buddy game is played in world of football.

Hey we got Schwartz , right ! and the QB coach who was totally frustrated with that Stafford right ?

Run defense was and has been the Achilles Heel of his team.

Special Teams was a clear issue as well last year but they added players to help so IMO it's all on Crossman this year.

In your opinion, what significant steps will correct the Bills' special teams' problems? Be specific.

I wanted Crossman fired last year. I think though that the NFL's stupid rules changes from a couple of years ago was the biggest thing to kill Buffalo's special teams prowess. Wedge blocking is now illegal and nearly all kickoffs are now touchbacks because of moving the ball up further. The Bills have some of the best return men in the league, yet they rarely get the chance to even bring it out. Now special teams is anything but special. A kicker should have to work to get the ball deep into the endzone, now everyone can do it. Stupid. Wedge blocking is a game plan that Buffalo mastered, but now it's not allowed. Stupid.

Stupid, stupid stupid.......

On a more positive note though, we now have some guys that can get down field and make a play in coverage. Can't see us getting worse there, even with Crossman as the ST coach.

Edited by Rockinon

In your opinion, what significant steps will correct the Bills' special teams' problems? Be specific.

I think that the two most would agree on is an upgrade at punter and coach. Hopefully Dixon and graham help solidify coverage and we have a solid kicker and good return men.