America's Mideast Policy: "Circle Jerk"

We topple a Sunni leader in Iraq to pave the way for a Shiite government. Then we sponsor a Sunni insurgence in Syria to try and topple a Shiite government. And that creates a Sunni stronghold in the areas bordering Syria and Iraq, and a launchpad for Sunni-led attacks on the government we supported in Iraq.

Baghdad car bombs kill 60; militants storm Ramadi university. In total, there were a dozen blasts in mainly Shi'ite districts of the capital - See more at: http://www.hindustan...h.WmwLetQr.dpuf

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, your going to confuse everyone that likens Islam to a "religion of peace"...

Heck, someone might read this and actually look up Shi'ite and Sunni and learn they have been at war with each other for centuries. Each with multiple branch sects, that in turn, hate each other.

To make matters worse, we decided to try to play referee, picking winners and losers, pissing off ALL of them for a common cause, to hate America...

Can we just let them go back to hating each other?

Joe, your going to confuse everyone that likens Islam to a "religion of peace"...

Heck, someone might read this and actually look up Shi'ite and Sunni and learn they have been at war with each other for centuries. Each with multiple branch sects, that in turn, hate each other.

To make matters worse, we decided to try to play referee, picking winners and losers, pissing off ALL of them for a common cause, to hate America...

Can we just let them go back to hating each other?

I pretty much agree with all that, except I dont know how to assess how deep the rift is between Shiite and Sunni ....is it a very small % that can't reconcile and are driving the conflict? Or is it more pervasive? I'd like to think the former, but I don't know. I do think the element w/i Sunni (however big or small) is the far more radical and bigger problem. For example, Bin Laden was Sunni. Shiites (mostly Iranians) being Persian tend to think of themselves as an ancient, sophisticated society above all that. Most of the attacks are Sunni's on Shiites. And of course US bias is toward Sunni (I assume because of Saudi oil), hopefully that's changing with better relations between US and Iran.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think of the US dealing with Iran and it makes me feel like watching "Mars Attacks!!!"

How do you feel about us having had better relations with Sunnis like .... Saudis (birth place of Al Qaeda, sponsor terrorism in Syria), Pakistanis (housed Bin Laden, relations with Taliban, ongoing attacks on Hindus/India), Hamas, Saddam (we sponsored his attack on Iran)?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

How do you feel about us having had better relations with Sunnis like .... Saudis (birth place of Al Qaeda, sponsor terrorism in Syria), Pakistanis (housed Bin Laden, relations with Taliban, ongoing attacks on Hindus/India), Hamas, Saddam (we sponsored his attack on Iran)?

I think people intent on doing us harm could give a rat's asshair about what our relations are with them, beyond posing to get something. All I hear is "Aack! Aack!"

I think people intent on doing us harm could give a rat's asshair about what our relations are with them, beyond posing to get something. All I hear is "Aack! Aack!"

That's Farsi and it is hard to understand. I learned this from Joe years ago when it sounded like Mahmoud said he would wipe Israel from the map but what he really meant was that he was going to buy all Israelis a dozen jelly donuts. It's the Farsi.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Kind of like what Mubarak said about foreign aid: it's taking money from poor people in rich countries, and giving it to rich people in poor countries.

nice work Bush, Obama & Co .... large portions of Iraq are falling to hands of terrorists, those same terrorists we supported in Syria. Sadly won't be long now before we have to go back in.

Al-Qaeda Seizes Northern Iraqi Oil Capital of Mosul

Indeed, while the borders aren’t readily defined at this point because of constant fighting, AQI territory is arguably already a state of its own, straddling Iraq and Syria and comprising significant chunks of each.

http://news.antiwar....pital-of-mosul/

Northern Iraq Under Siege: 123 Killed, 261 Wounded

http://original.anti...ed-261-wounded/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Obama didn't lose Iraq, he gave it away: White House worried as militants take Iraqi cities.

The White House on Wednesday expressed concerns that Islamic militants had regained a foothold in Iraq after an al Qaeda-affiliated group seized control of a second major city.

Islamist militants seized the northern city of Tikrit on Wednesday, an action that sparked alarm in Washington and Baghdad, just days after rebel forces also captured Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city.

Obama gave up on the status of forces negotiations because he was in a hurry to skedaddle. Now there’s a good chance that Iraq — which was stable and doing comparatively well in 2008 — will be taken over by Islamists. Then, of course, there are the debacles in Syria, Libya, and Afghanistan. . . .

“The situation in Iraq is grave,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest conceded to reporters traveling with the president Wednesday to Massachusetts.

Obama didn't lose Iraq, he gave it away: White House worried as militants take Iraqi cities.

The White House on Wednesday expressed concerns that Islamic militants had regained a foothold in Iraq after an al Qaeda-affiliated group seized control of a second major city.

Islamist militants seized the northern city of Tikrit on Wednesday, an action that sparked alarm in Washington and Baghdad, just days after rebel forces also captured Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city.

Obama gave up on the status of forces negotiations because he was in a hurry to skedaddle. Now there’s a good chance that Iraq — which was stable and doing comparatively well in 2008 — will be taken over by Islamists. Then, of course, there are the debacles in Syria, Libya, and Afghanistan. . . .

“The situation in Iraq is grave,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest conceded to reporters traveling with the president Wednesday to Massachusetts.

the problem wasn't withdrawing, the problem was turning around and supporting the same group in Syria that we had just fought against in Iraq. Assad was right: we really have the same enemy. But we get whipsawed around by our alleged allies like France, Israel and Saudis into fighting their wars, which may or may not (usually not) be in our interest. That more than anything is what accounts for our inconsistent, dangerous, and costly foreign policy

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack