Lisbon?

plenzmd1

yes, my sister in law grew up there. been a couple times. we've stayed in colares and sintra. sintra is the place for history. there's a huge moorish castle that's spectacular on the horizon and very narrow streets in the old town. i was certain one time we'd need a crane to get out when we were side by side with another car. you'll use the fold up mirrors on your car.. theres a hotel in sintra that was a royal palace with an amazing brunch buffet. i think it's about pretty expensive but worth it if even for 1 night. there's aroad down from the hotel to colares that used to be a rally race road - til somebody died. it's a great drive the beaches around colares are fantastic if a bit dangerous. wicked undertows. big waves. Praia grande is beautiful but a bit crowded. they have surfing lessons there for a very reasonable price. there are less crowded beaches nearby but more difficult to reach. every time we tried they had red flags - no swimming due to big surf. it's also worth a trip to the most western point in europe - i forget what it's called but it gorgeous with cliffs and bluffs. always wanted to go to fatima but never made it. in the city, there's a castle that overlooks the entire city from the top of the hill. try some sangria in the square outside parliament. if you're interested i can look up the names of the hotels. there's one right on praia grande that looked nice but touristy as well. i'd stay away from the cod soaked in milk which is everywhere. the seafood stew is awesome though.

Edited by birdog1960

yes, my sister in law grew up there. been a couple times. we've stayed in colares and sintra. sintra is the place for history. there's a huge moorish castle that's spectacular on the horizon and very narrow streets in the old town. i was certain one time we'd need a crane to get out when we were side by side with another car. you'll use the fold up mirrors on your car.. theres a hotel in sintra that was a royal palace with an amazing brunch buffet. i think it's about pretty expensive but worth it if even for 1 night. there's aroad down from the hotel to colares that used to be a rally race road - til somebody died. it's a great drive the beaches around colares are fantastic if a bit dangerous. wicked undertows. big waves. Praia grande is beautiful but a bit crowded. they have surfing lessons there for a very reasonable price. there are less crowded beaches nearby but more difficult to reach. every time we tried they had red flags - no swimming due to big surf. it's also worth a trip to the most western point in europe - i forget what it's called but it gorgeous with cliffs and bluffs. always wanted to go to fatima but never made it. in the city, there's a castle that overlooks the entire city from the top of the hill. try some sangria in the square outside parliament. if you're interested i can look up the names of the hotels. there's one right on praia grande that looked nice but touristy as well. i'd stay away from the cod soaked in milk which is everywhere. the seafood stew is awesome though.

Thanks dude, this is great

Wife and I big on history during the day, food and lots of drinks at night. Any experience with Lisbon on the board? Trying to decide on a side trip after a business trip we are going on.

"Business trip" riiiiight. The girls I was with a couple times weren't Lisbon, but they weren't shy with each other either. I hope you and your wife have a good time. Take it slow, enjoy all of the sights, sample all the flavors and Take lots (and lots) of pictures!

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

• 1 month later...

So we are now officially booked for Lisbon, actually staying in the Four Seasons there for less than $250 a night, which has me a bit worried.

We start the trip in Barcelona for 4 days, hotel booked by wifes company...

Unlike Chef, i am am open to any and all advice as I have been to neither city.

And Birdog, funny on the cod. Just watched Bourdains Lisbon episode...weird how Cod is the national dish yet it is not caught locally!

Edited by plenzmd1

"Business trip" riiiiight. The girls I was with a couple times weren't Lisbon, but they weren't shy with each other either. I hope you and your wife have a good time. Take it slow, enjoy all of the sights, sample all the flavors and Take lots (and lots) of pictures!

Bwahahahahaha

So we are now officially booked for Lisbon, actually staying in the Four Seasons there for less than $250 a night, which has me a bit worried.

We start the trip in Barcelona for 4 days, hotel booked by wifes company...

Unlike Chef, i am am open to any and all advice as I have been to neither city.

And Birdog, funny on the cod. Just watched Bourdains Lisbon episode...weird how Cod is the national dish yet it is not caught locally!

I stayed in Barcelona for a week- it was great!! I took a bus tour of the city- didn't believe all the architecture... It was beautiful... Strippers, prostitues, gyros....

Damn it, you not only beat me to the joke, you executed it better.

That doesn't happen often, does it DC???

No, not really.

Though my execution tends to be more blunt and obvious by design, as my target audience is the lowest common denominator on this board. And let's face it, that's pretty damn low.

No, not really.

Though my execution tends to be more blunt and obvious by design, as my target audience is the lowest common denominator on this board. And let's face it, that's pretty damn low.

...and they generally react as such- proving your target is spot on...

Intellectuals like us get it, hahaha

Was in Barcelona earlier this year. Great city. Plan on walking ... A lot. It's the best way to see the city.

And while walking after dark- keep $50 extra Euro in your pocket... Lol

• 4 weeks later...

So, on the plane to Barcelona, sittingi in CLT waiting to take off. Trying to figure out how to get Iberico ham home.

Any advice for cool bars and great restaurants in either Barcelona or Lisbon still welcome, as I am the AntiChef.

pestana palace hotel for a meal since it sounds like you'll be in downtown lisbon. once again, a repurposed former royal palace. the grounds are pretyy spectacular and the one meal we had there was impressive. doubt you can legally bring home the ham but i'm not sure. some good port is worth bringing back and is a real bargain. also ceramic kitchenware if your wife is into that. i carried a hand painted cake dish all the way home once,...on second thought, forget about the ceramics. oh, and have fun!

pestana palace hotel for a meal since it sounds like you'll be in downtown lisbon. once again, a repurposed former royal palace. the grounds are pretyy spectacular and the one meal we had there was impressive.

Nothing better than dining at a well-groomed downtown Lisbon...