What is the HC's responsibility to help players? (Marrone Presser)

I agree, this is why I brought it up. It struck me as either disingenuous (because, is he trying to cover for the fact that they are actually helping him not b/c they think it is the right thing to do, but rather because they want him on the field and they can appeal to Goodell if any suspension came down that he has "issues" which he may indeed have) or just strange that he would say he'd take a loss over not helping a person. Like, if that is indeed true, why would he say that? Maybe I'm looking too much into it and as you said he just babbled and didn't realize what he was saying.

marrone will be back tracking shortly....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If people actually listened to Marrone during Dareus last infraction, he said he had long discussions with Marcell and that Marcell is going through things personally. From those discussions it seemed that Marcell needed a " father figure" or another voice to help him overcome his problems. I, for one, am glad that Marrone is taking this approach. I managed a crew of guys at my job for years. Many of these guys were older than me, but acted like children. These guys had good work habits, but did some "dumb" things at times. My job as a manager was to encourage the good habits and help deter the "dumb" stuff. Eventually those who kept doing the "dumb" stuff after my intervention ended up losing their job, others are still employed. Many of those guys just weren't "mature" enough. Maybe Marcell needs more maturity.

Marrone had his fatherly sit down with Dareus last year. Then the kid decides it's OK to go speeding through Alabama with felonious possession of illegal substances. Then, soon after he is arrested, he feels it's alright to go drag racing in the afternoon, barely avoiding significant injury to himself and patrons in a restaurant.

It is clear that Dareus does not respect Marrone or whatever Marrone is trying to accomplish personally with Dareus.

Also, if Marrone, by saying "losing games", is going to suspend Dareus, he should just do it already. I suggested this yesterday as the only way to counsel this moron. Besides, no games will be lost this season solely because Dareus isn't in the lineup.

I get the impression when Marrone has his PC's and radio appearances that he is very concerned about his image and I think at times he talks too much (might take a lesson from Pop and Belichik in this regard)and tends to say things to get media/fans to like him. I think in this case he rambled on too much and in the end put his foot in his mouth. If he spends more time with Dareus it is because Dareus is an integral part of the defense and the Bills made a huge investment in him, I don't see him doing the same thing with a 3rd line player, that in and of itself shows his motivations are not completely altruistic.

Couldn't agree more. I am not saying I don't like Marrone as head-coach (I am still neutural on this), but I find his press conferences/interviews pretty painful to listen too sometimes. He just doesn't make sense a lot of the time. And, I don't think he is a dumb guy, but he is so concernced about every word he utters, that he ends up not making a whole lot of sense sometimes...obviously.

Couldn't agree more. I am not saying I don't like Marrone as head-coach (I am still neutural on this), but I find his press conferences/interviews pretty painful to listen too sometimes. He just doesn't make sense a lot of the time. And, I don't think he is a dumb guy, but he is so concernced about every word he utters, that he ends up not making a whole lot of sense sometimes...obviously.

It's obvious, obviously

I'm in the same place with him as HC, neutral, giving him another year to see if it turns favorable (or unfavorable). He's been given advice or made a conscious decision to try and be likable to/with the media. If you recall one of his first pressers at SJF last summer, when he was getting bombarded with Mario foot injury questions by the media, he snapped back and essentially told one of the media guys to "back off" or something to that affect, anyway, the next day, he profusely apologized and since that time has gone out of his way to be nice. I don't buy that as his real personality, only because it comes across very forced in interviews and press conferences. Again, I'm no media expert, but to me he comes across like he's trying too hard and it plays unnatural.

Also, if Marrone, by saying "losing games", is going to suspend Dareus, he should just do it already. I suggested this yesterday as the only way to counsel this moron. Besides, no games will be lost this season solely because Dareus isn't in the lineup.

i assume that is what he meant as well... im not sure what else it could be. and i know a few of the people that dont like the quote would probably be fine with that.

im not sure what else he couldve possibly meant besides sit him down for a wakeup call even if it hurts the team in the short run.

that all said, im not sure what his philosophy on all this really is. we havent had a ton of opportunities to see him act with regards to discipline, and often have incomplete info when he has. im not sure that i trust his judgement or not on these yet. hopefully he proves to walk the line well - because it is a delicate balance at times.

i assume that is what he meant as well... im not sure what else it could be. and i know a few of the people that dont like the quote would probably be fine with that.

im not sure what else he couldve possibly meant besides sit him down for a wakeup call even if it hurts the team in the short run.

that all said, im not sure what his philosophy on all this really is. we havent had a ton of opportunities to see him act with regards to discipline, and often have incomplete info when he has. im not sure that i trust his judgement or not on these yet. hopefully he proves to walk the line well - because it is a delicate balance at times.

In the shoutbox, I said they shoudl suspend him without pay--first, in order to perhaps diffuse a multigame suspension that may be pending from the league (at some point) and second as the only way to change this guy's behavior.

The response from many was that the team can't suspend him, but the CBA allows a team to suspend for up to 4 games. The Dolphins suspended Incognito just last year. Not sure how anyone could forget that.

Anyway, as I said above, Dareus does not respect Marrone, I think. Especially when further arrests are followed by more offers of "help" by Marrone. Marrone is an enabler of bad choices by Dareus. His only "help" at this point should be to take this kid's money and fame from him for a few weeks. If that doesn't change his way of thinking, he is not worth the embarrasment.

Dareus is guilty of two things: being caught with artificial weed in Alabama, and drag racing in Hamburg that unfortunately caused some property damage. In the category of major crimes, these two really don't even warrant a blip on a radar scope. I honestly do not know one young guy who hasn't done both at one time or another. Dareus is a young man who is a little immature for his age. He probably has a little too much money and fame for his own good.

I think Marrone recognizes this and is willing to try and guide Dareus in a hope to mature him. Marrone also wants to win games and realizes that Dareus is a talent. He is just an immature talent. Marrone will hep to the extent that he can but he can do little more than talk and try to reason with the kid. Maybe he will even team Dareus up with a more mature team mate. But Marrone can not control Dareus or his actions. Let's face it, fans want Marrone running the team, not wet nursing a player no matter who he is.

The decision for Marrone is performance on the field vs. performance off the field. If the balance tilts to the point that Dareus' antics become a bigger problem than his contribution to the team Dareus will be history.

In the shoutbox, I said they shoudl suspend him without pay--first, in order to perhaps diffuse a multigame suspension that may be pending from the league (at some point) and second as the only way to change this guy's behavior.

The response from many was that the team can't suspend him, but the CBA allows a team to suspend for up to 4 games. The Dolphins suspended Incognito just last year. Not sure how anyone could forget that.

Anyway, as I said above, Dareus does not respect Marrone, I think. Especially when further arrests are followed by more offers of "help" by Marrone. Marrone is an enabler of bad choices by Dareus. His only "help" at this point should be to take this kid's money and fame from him for a few weeks. If that doesn't change his way of thinking, he is not worth the embarrasment.

That's an interesting take, and could be the case. What may help is getting someone who is respected on the team in his ear, to help him out. Kyle Williams maybe? What about Jerry Hughes??? :w00t:

That's an interesting take, and could be the case. What may help is getting someone who is respected on the team in his ear, to help him out. Kyle Williams maybe? What about Jerry Hughes??? :w00t:

the worry is that there are rumblings that whaley and marrone are frustrated (even before these two incidents) that they dont seem to be able to get through to him. that would be supported by the late season benchings, and his quote about just having fun and "things happen." theres also the possibility that KWs comments last year about people needing to step it up were directed at Marcell.

i have a suspicion that Marcell is doing the "so what if its a little weed, or im driving a little fast, or im late to a few meetings - im a probowler and im not hurting anyone" game in his own head.

the worry is that there are rumblings that whaley and marrone are frustrated (even before these two incidents) that they dont seem to be able to get through to him. that would be supported by the late season benchings, and his quote about just having fun and "things happen." theres also the possibility that KWs comments last year about people needing to step it up were directed at Marcell.

i have a suspicion that Marcell is doing the "so what if its a little weed, or im driving a little fast, or im late to a few meetings - im a probowler and im not hurting anyone" game in his own head.

Good take on the situation, and this could very well be the case, which is supported by the examples you have pointed out. Imagine if he had his head out of his bum, if what you say is the actual situation. He could be a world beater at DT. Straighten it out Dareus, straighten it out!

Depends entirely on the player. It's not an equal opportunity. Some players, like Dareus, are more equal than others.

I got the distinct impression that Marrone will acquiesce to Whaley's and Brandon's decision regarding Dareus, regardless. It's nice he has a player's back, but it doesn't mean anything if higher-ups decide he's expendable. Needless to say, MD has been walking a thin line for a couple years now. As good as he is at times, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is shown the door after this season. And if his suspension is of any length (and they are expecting one to be levied), I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to cut bait before then.

GO BILLS!!!

Every situation and every player is different and must be taken individually and in context. Marrone also said that guys like Da'Rick, MWilliams, Seantrel, etc, have one chance or they're gone. Marcel is a special case, IMO. His tragic life is well documented. He's not a coddled superstar.

Marrone's job is to win; that is for sure. But winning in the NFL is often getting your 53 member team to go through a wall for you. What he is doing and saying for and about Marcel, even with the quote about "rather lose," may indeed be all about winning.

People are also, IMO, making too much about the rather lose reference. There is never two choices of A) lose this game or B) help this guy. Marrone is never going to do what he did for a player that is not going to help the team. His actions are concurrent, they are not dependent on each other. If a guy is not good enough to help the Bills, but he needs help, Marrone is not going to keep him (he's not the guy who makes that decision anyway, he just plays a part in it).

There is nothing in what he said or did that in any way contributes more to losing games because he wants to help a player.

Every situation and every player is different and must be taken individually and in context. Marrone also said that guys like Da'Rick, MWilliams, Seantrel, etc, have one chance or they're gone. Marcel is a special case, IMO. His tragic life is well documented. He's not a coddled superstar.

Marrone's job is to win; that is for sure. But winning in the NFL is often getting your 53 member team to go through a wall for you. What he is doing and saying for and about Marcel, even with the quote about "rather lose," may indeed be all about winning.

People are also, IMO, making too much about the rather lose reference. There is never two choices of A) lose this game or B) help this guy. Marrone is never going to do what he did for a player that is not going to help the team. His actions are concurrent, they are not dependent on each other. If a guy is not good enough to help the Bills, but he needs help, Marrone is not going to keep him (he's not the guy who makes that decision anyway, he just plays a part in it).

There is nothing in what he said or did that in any way contributes more to losing games because he wants to help a player.

Dareus - #3 overall pick

Da'Rick - UDFA

MWilliams - cost a 6th rounder

Seantrel - 7th rounder

One of those guys is going to get special treatment over the other 3. Coddled, no. But definitely more chances available than the others. I agree Marcell has had a tragic life but I wouldn't be shocked if any of those other guys got into a fight at a club and was cut, let alone 2 separate incidents within a month (one being a felony).

I agree with your "helping a player" assessment. Losing a game could be due to the fact that he is helping Dareus by not having him play/benching him/dress/go to therapy because of the issues instead of playing.

Edited by The Wiz

This isnt college ball anymore where his players are still students. This is the pro's

Players shouldn't need to be looked after

CBF

they shouldnt need to be.... but i think its safe to say that they do need to be, atleast to a degree.

80% of 25 year-old and under guys that I know, and see, and read about, and talk to other people about, are !@#$s and or do stupid things quite often. I was one of them when I was that age.

Yes, you can say he needs to be smarter, and I said it, too. But the fact is, most 25 year old guys are pricks, think they are cool and above the law and can do and say anything they want.

I think when you tried to change a guy's behavior last year by sitting him out a game and then he gets arrested this year for felony drug charges and then again on class A misdemeanor drag racing charges soon after--and then you publically anounce that you "believe in" him and want to "help" him......yeah, you're coddling him.

He's coddled.

80% of 25 year-old and under guys that I know, and see, and read about, and talk to other people about, are ! or do stupid things quite often. I was one of them when I was that age.

Yes, you can say he needs to be smarter, and I said it, too. But the fact is, most 25 year old guys are pricks, think they are cool and above the law and can do and say anything they want.

I am 32 and still quite sure I am capable of doing stupid things and I am sure I am a !@#$.

But not like I was when I was 16-22. Or even 24-26. I did whatever I wanted and often successfully and never learned repercussions because I didn't care or it wouldn't matter.

Speculating about Dareus and his life is gray area for me on the border of right and wrong. No matter how well we know him the player we do not know him personally. We need to keep that in perspective. We may not like Donte Whitner, Wes Welker, Jairus Byrd, or Vince Wolfork the players but we do not know them personally and we cannot truly say anything against them off of the field.

The only exception is Tom Brady. Because !@#$ Tom Brady and his punk ass !€~= mother _£√√£\[© 'n and his _£_®=¢=¢=] horse he |_¢={{£ inside of, too

Edited by jboyst62