What is the HC's responsibility to help players? (Marrone Presser)

Marrone had his fatherly sit down with Dareus last year. Then the kid decides it's OK to go speeding through Alabama with felonious possession of illegal substances. Then, soon after he is arrested, he feels it's alright to go drag racing in the afternoon, barely avoiding significant injury to himself and patrons in a restaurant.

It is clear that Dareus does not respect Marrone or whatever Marrone is trying to accomplish personally with Dareus.

Also, if Marrone, by saying "losing games", is going to suspend Dareus, he should just do it already. I suggested this yesterday as the only way to counsel this moron. Besides, no games will be lost this season solely because Dareus isn't in the lineup.

The possession charge is bs, you can buy the "illegal substance ur talking about at any gas station. The law in Alabama is crazy harsh for the spice. He's not going to face feloby charges as they will most likely reduce them.

He's not a "moron" he's a young kid who has millions of dollars has lost key members of his family I t he last year and is going through some tuff times. Everyone makes mistakes lots of them especially in there early to mid 20s. Dareus is looking for something to blow off some steam and probably that makes him feel more alive. Sorta like you know football. Give the kid a break

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when you tried to change a guy's behavior last year by sitting him out a game and then he gets arrested this year for felony drug charges and then again on class A misdemeanor drag racing charges soon after--and then you publically anounce that you "believe in" him and want to "help" him......yeah, you're coddling him.

He's coddled.

What I meant by that is his life has not been one of a coddled superstar. His life has been one of a coddled superstar combined with unimaginable hardship and problems you would be hard pressed to wish on the Taliban. Would you trade positions with Dareus? Losing your mom, dad, grandmother who raised you, best friend and brother before you're AND be a millionaire pro football player? Not me.

He's a special case, under special circumstances, and everything needs to be taken into context. Should he be disciplined? Of course. Should he get away with stuff scott free just because he's had a tough life? Of course not. But he should be treated differently, perhaps with more empathy, than almost anyone else. Every circumstance needs to be treated differently, and that does not mean double standards.

The possession charge is bs, you can buy the "illegal substance ur talking about at any gas station. The law in Alabama is crazy harsh for the spice. He's not going to face feloby charges as they will most likely reduce them.

He's not a "moron" he's a young kid who has millions of dollars has lost key members of his family I t he last year and is going through some tuff times. Everyone makes mistakes lots of them especially in there early to mid 20s. Dareus is looking for something to blow off some steam and probably that makes him feel more alive. Sorta like you know football. Give the kid a break

Alabama has decided that it's not BS. It's a felony. Maybe they will offer a reduced charge. Your pretending to dismiss the point that Dareus knew possessing it in his home state is a felony, yet he still decided to go over the speed limit inviting a search of his car containing the illegal substance. That defines either a moron, or someone who believes the rules don't apply to him.

Yeah, he lost soem family members over al year ago. But we heard that excuse last season. At what point does that no longer explain his actions off the field? Another year? Another 5 years?

What I meant by that is his life has not been one of a coddled superstar. His life has been one of a coddled superstar combined with unimaginable hardship and problems you would be hard pressed to wish on the Taliban. Would you trade positions with Dareus? Losing your mom, dad, grandmother who raised you, best friend and brother before you're AND be a millionaire pro football player? Not me.

He's a special case, under special circumstances, and everything needs to be taken into context. Should he be disciplined? Of course. Should he get away with stuff scott free just because he's had a tough life? Of course not. But he should be treated differently, perhaps with more empathy, than almost anyone else. Every circumstance needs to be treated differently, and that does not mean double standards.

I'm sure the Taliban has wiped out the entire families of many individuals, yet I would be hard pressed to imagine any of them mourning by getting high frequently, racing cars and generally having a great time.

Maybe what I'm trying to say that if MArrone wants to be this kid's hand holder/daddy, at leat publically he should say that the Bills have certain behavioral standards that he expects EVERY player (not just those with "special circumstances") to adhere to. He could publicly say that he and the FO will decide how to discipline Dareus--but that he will be disciplined.

That's all he had to say.

Edited by Mr. WEO

That's all he had to say.

Fair enough. I think hard fast rules like that are stupid. Everything and everyone needs to be taken in context, not miss two meetings and youre fired. Get caught driving too fast and you're cut or traded. There is not a great coach in any league that doesn't know that you treat different players differently. Some good to great players react well to being coached hard, other just as good to great players get nothing out of that and need to be treated the opposite.

Strict rules about off the field behavior to professional athletes is essential. Strict, across the board rules about off the field behavior to young professional athletes that are not taken in context with all points considered is just stupid.

The world is different than it was when John Wooden could get away with that. And he completely coddled his superstars when no one was looking.

Another question, why does Marrone feel the burden falls on himself to help Dareus ? Where is Whaley/Brandon in all of this and what part do they or should they play ? To me, this should be an issue that the GM and CEO concern themselves with and FIX ! Not the HC.

HOGWASH !!!

if marrone truly believes that helping a player through personal off the field issues is more important than the goals of the team......then he is the wrong guy for the job.

having said that, there is a lot a team and fellow players can and should do to support these young men with off the field issues. but life isn't fair, the NFL is less fair and the goals of the team should take priority. even the death of a loved one.

All he said was that he is going to do right thing as he best sees fit, even if it means losing games. To me, this is no different than if a coach said "even if it meant losing games, I wouldn't put an injured player out on the field." I don't think it is likely that Marrone's choice would ever be that black and white. But if somehow he did face such a choice, I would want him to do the right thing. Winning is not the only thing. The league has shifted its view of player health and no longer considers it valid to win even if it means sacrificing a players health. They haven't figured out yet how to turn that moral choice into practical policies that will work in the locker room and on the field but those are just questions of logistics.

I have no clue what is going on with Marcel Dareus but if it turns out that for him to recover from whatever is causing this self destructive behavior he needs to not play football for awhile, then that is what is going to have to happen even though losing a player with his abilities will surely be costly to the team.

All he said was that he is going to do right thing as he best sees fit, even if it means losing games. To me, this is no different than if a coach said "even if it meant losing games, I wouldn't put an injured player out on the field." I don't think it is likely that Marrone's choice would ever be that black and white. But if somehow he did face such a choice, I would want him to do the right thing. Winning is not the only thing. The league has shifted its view of player health and no longer considers it valid to win even if it means sacrificing a players health. They haven't figured out yet how to turn that moral choice into practical policies that will work in the locker room and on the field but those are just questions of logistics.

I have no clue what is going on with Marcel Dareus but if it turns out that for him to recover from whatever is causing this self destructive behavior he needs to not play football for awhile, then that is what is going to have to happen even though losing a player with his abilities will surely be costly to the team.

This is a very reasonable angle. I could definitely see it being the case that Marrone has to be very careful about what he says for a few different reasons, and he alluded to that. Also, if he is referring to possibly suspending him for a game or more, as another poster said, that would point to him putting the long-term health or development of the player over the outcome of the game if his absence were to affect it.

Fair enough. I think hard fast rules like that are stupid. Everything and everyone needs to be taken in context, not miss two meetings and youre fired. Get caught driving too fast and you're cut or traded. There is not a great coach in any league that doesn't know that you treat different players differently. Some good to great players react well to being coached hard, other just as good to great players get nothing out of that and need to be treated the opposite.

Strict rules about off the field behavior to professional athletes is essential. Strict, across the board rules about off the field behavior to young professional athletes that are not taken in context with all points considered is just stupid.

The world is different than it was when John Wooden could get away with that. And he completely coddled his superstars when no one was looking.

Telling the public what I suggested--that there are expectations for every player regarding conduct--is not stupid. It's not a "hard and fast rule", it's a general statement that fans expect to hear.

Where did I mention cut, traded or fired? In fact, I didn't mention anywhere that Maroone should tell the public anything specific about discpline, other than that it will be coming.

Also, I would challenge your assumption that Dareus responds to this "soft touch" caoching he's getting from Marrone. All evidence reveals he is not, "obviously".

Telling the public what I suggested--that there are expectations for every player regarding conduct--is not stupid. It's not a "hard and fast rule", it's a general statement that fans expect to hear.

Where did I mention cut, traded or fired? In fact, I didn't mention anywhere that Maroone should tell the public anything specific about discpline, other than that it will be coming.

Also, I would challenge your assumption that Dareus responds to this "soft touch" caoching he's getting from Marrone. All evidence reveals he is not, "obviously".

Just saying that you have standards that every player must adhere to is stupid because it means absolutely zero without specifics, and setting specifics is stupid because each player and situation is different. It would be laughable and ineffective to make a list of rules and/or tell the press that we have these standards all players have to live up to because the press would justifiably say, "Well, what are they then?" And he's never going to say. It's nebulous.

No one is going to be happy with what Marrone said about how he is going to handle it UNLESS you are of the mind that it's none of our business, and few are willing to do that. For me, I don't think it matters what he says he's going to do about it because it's going to be something completely different behind closed doors. He probably said too much.

I didnt say that Dareus responds to any kind of specific coaching. I said you treat every player differently because they are all different and all circumstances are different.

In Marrone's PC yesterday, he said he would rather do the right thing "in his mind" to help a player if it meant losing games, than not help players and win games so he can live with himself. It is at 10:02 of the link. I believe the public does not know the whole story with Dareus and there are issues at hand that need addressed that go beyond the decisions we are aware of, in order to move forward. Marrone said his job is to win and winning is important, but he feels responsibility to do the right thing. I was actually surprised to hear him say he would rather lose games if it meant doing the right thing. Admirable, maybe, but not what I would expect from an NFL coach. It is a business.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I am not even sure how involved he really is or do they hand him off to the Director of Player Engagement, or a counselor within their new partner Independent Health, and say see you at minicamp and if you are not 100% squeaky clean by then you are gone? I suspect there is more than we know going on. However, if I am Marrone, I advocate keeping Dareus and helping him as much to have him on the field and WIN as to help him overcome his problems.

Meanwhile, not a peep yet from Whaley which I find odd. Should I?

http://www.buffalobi...f5-440ae1c219b3

This is what I've been saying all along, that others have shouted me down for...that Marcell's issues are not simply youth run-amuck, they are not just indiscretions that can be relegated to some immaturity or police officers blowing things out of proportion...these are representations of deeper, systemic issues for Marcell and I wish him well...I would like to see the BILLS get him some help, IF he truly wants the help and is willing and motivated to make the effort to address these underlying causes for concern...substance abuse, and yes, that includes marijuana in cases like this, are revelations of deeper problems as many have said, he's dealt with a great deal of tragedy in a relatively short period of time over the last few years, and this is most likely what is causing the larger problem....but, I have to like Marrone for this approach. I'm not sure it's the wisest choice of words to say he would rather lose if it means not helping a guy, but I truly admire his heart and desire to help one of his players through a difficult and challenging stage of his life...

Interesting in the Marrone interview on Sirius today that is linked in the main Sammy thread. Marrone seemed very upfront that he doesn't get a pass for having a tough life but it is part of his job description to help him. He feels that Dareus is a great person and needs to learn to make better decisions. He said there is no doubt in his mind that Marcell knows what the expectations are going forward. He said a lot goes into his statement about looking in the mirror to determine if he did the right thing to help his players to become better people and balancing that with the need to win. He didn't seem to backtrack on it, but actually emphasized it.

Interesting in the Marrone interview on Sirius today that is linked in the main Sammy thread. Marrone seemed very upfront that he doesn't get a pass for having a tough life but it is part of his job description to help him. He feels that Dareus is a great person and needs to learn to make better decisions. He said there is no doubt in his mind that Marcell knows what the expectations are going forward. He said a lot goes into his statement about looking in the mirror to determine if he did the right thing to help his players to become better people and balancing that with the need to win. He didn't seem to backtrack on it, but actually emphasized it.

I was actually surprised to hear him say he would rather lose games if it meant doing the right thing. Admirable, maybe, but not what I would expect from an NFL coach. It is a business.

Are you OK with not doing the right thing in your business ventures, either as an employer, employee, or as a customer?

Edited by BlueFire

Are you OK with not doing the right thing in your business ventures, either as an employer, employee, or as a customer?

No, but, I am not in the same business where everything I do is on display or even that competitive. So, I always do what i think is the right thing ethically and according to policy BUT I also don't have a W-L record.

I don't know what type of work youre in, but I'm guessing there's a time when developing an employee comes before the bottom line for that month/project/whatever. Both because you care about people and because it's an investment in future successes

I don't know what type of work youre in, but I'm guessing there's a time when developing an employee comes before the bottom line for that month/project/whatever. Both because you care about people and because it's an investment in future successes

For sure. I hope it didn't come off as if I am criticizing Marrone for what he is saying. More surprised that he said it, twice, to the media. What would be a private decision for me that would not be publically judged... for him it is much more on display as something for fans/media - even Whaley, possibly - to judge him for the decision. I believe he feels very confident about it... and for all the criticism that I have seen him take for not holding himself accountable, I don't see that, frankly. Edited by YoloinOhio