What is the HC's responsibility to help players? (Marrone Presser)

In Marrone's PC yesterday, he said he would rather do the right thing "in his mind" to help a player if it meant losing games, than not help players and win games so he can live with himself. It is at 10:02 of the link. I believe the public does not know the whole story with Dareus and there are issues at hand that need addressed that go beyond the decisions we are aware of, in order to move forward. Marrone said his job is to win and winning is important, but he feels responsibility to do the right thing. I was actually surprised to hear him say he would rather lose games if it meant doing the right thing. Admirable, maybe, but not what I would expect from an NFL coach. It is a business.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I am not even sure how involved he really is or do they hand him off to the Director of Player Engagement, or a counselor within their new partner Independent Health, and say see you at minicamp and if you are not 100% squeaky clean by then you are gone? I suspect there is more than we know going on. However, if I am Marrone, I advocate keeping Dareus and helping him as much to have him on the field and WIN as to help him overcome his problems.

Meanwhile, not a peep yet from Whaley which I find odd. Should I?

http://www.buffalobi...f5-440ae1c219b3

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like generally speaking investing in your players is investing in your win/loss record a coach. So the two things, often, go hand in hand over the long term.

And we know there's a lot going on with dareus. Last year he said he didn't leave his house for months outside of team activities and now this year he's all about having fun even if that's putting him on the bench, or in jail and in the news. We only know so much but it seems clear that he doesn't have his head on straight. That's even ignoring that he came into 2012 out of shape (I kind of figured he would with his first full offseason on his own)

I found it shocking that he said the whole, even if it meant losing, thing also. A head coach's job is to win, not to councel players like Stevie Johnson or Marcel. It's a grown man's sport, man up Marcel! If Marcel needs counceling, then the team should have councelors to help out, Marrone should be focusing on football. That's just my opinion on the subject.

If people actually listened to Marrone during Dareus last infraction, he said he had long discussions with Marcell and that Marcell is going through things personally. From those discussions it seemed that Marcell needed a " father figure" or another voice to help him overcome his problems. I, for one, am glad that Marrone is taking this approach. I managed a crew of guys at my job for years. Many of these guys were older than me, but acted like children. These guys had good work habits, but did some "dumb" things at times. My job as a manager was to encourage the good habits and help deter the "dumb" stuff. Eventually those who kept doing the "dumb" stuff after my intervention ended up losing their job, others are still employed. Many of those guys just weren't "mature" enough. Maybe Marcell needs more maturity.

If people actually listened to Marrone during Dareus last infraction, he said he had long discussions with Marcell and that Marcell is going through things personally. From those discussions it seemed that Marcell needed a " father figure" or another voice to help him overcome his problems. I, for one, am glad that Marrone is taking this approach. I managed a crew of guys at my job for years. Many of these guys were older than me, but acted like children. These guys had good work habits, but did some "dumb" things at times. My job as a manager was to encourage the good habits and help deter the "dumb" stuff. Eventually those who kept doing the "dumb" stuff after my intervention ended up losing their job, others are still employed. Many of those guys just weren't "mature" enough. Maybe Marcell needs more maturity.

Yeah, this. I guess the other part of the equation is it's the preseason now, with voluntary OTAs. Now is the time for Dareus to get his head on straight if he needs to. If Marrone said "go home and think about it", that would be silly. If he said "take 2 weeks, check yourself in to this counseling program, and come back with your head on straight", that's an investment in a talented player which might or might not pay dividends. If it helps, we got something. If it doesn't, there's plenty of time to cut Dareus when the roster shrinks.

Sully, of course, is predictably opining that Dareus should have been cut already.

Edited by Hopeful

I found it shocking that he said the whole, even if it meant losing, thing also. A head coach's job is to win, not to councel players like Stevie Johnson or Marcel. It's a grown man's sport, man up Marcel! If Marcel needs counceling, then the team should have councelors to help out, Marrone should be focusing on football. That's just my opinion on the subject.

He's trying to create a supportive we all have each other's back culture instead of a throw away one. That doesn't mean he will always or even regularly put players feelings over wins. He'd rather his players feel good coming to him with problems than be out there on their own though. Like I said earlier, it's often a smart long term investment as this team isn't better off ignoring the problem then letting him walk at the end of the deal

In Marrone's PC yesterday, he said he would rather do the right thing "in his mind" to help a player if it meant losing games, than not help players and win games so he can live with himself. It is at 10:02 of the link. I believe the public does not know the whole story with Dareus and there are issues at hand that need addressed that go beyond the decisions we are aware of, in order to move forward. Marrone said his job is to win and winning is important, but he feels responsibility to do the right thing. I was actually surprised to hear him say he would rather lose games if it meant doing the right thing. Admirable, maybe, but not what I would expect from an NFL coach. It is a business.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I am not even sure how involved he really is or do they hand him off to the Director of Player Engagement, or a counselor within their new partner Independent Health, and say see you at minicamp and if you are not 100% squeaky clean by then you are gone? I suspect there is more than we know going on. However, if I am Marrone, I advocate keeping Dareus and helping him as much to have him on the field and WIN as to help him overcome his problems.

Meanwhile, not a peep yet from Whaley which I find odd. Should I?

http://www.buffalobi...f5-440ae1c219b3

HOGWASH !!!

if marrone truly believes that helping a player through personal off the field issues is more important than the goals of the team......then he is the wrong guy for the job.

having said that, there is a lot a team and fellow players can and should do to support these young men with off the field issues. but life isn't fair, the NFL is less fair and the goals of the team should take priority. even the death of a loved one.

HOGWASH !!!

if marrone truly believes that helping a player through personal off the field issues is more important than the goals of the team......then he is the wrong guy for the job.

having said that, there is a lot a team and fellow players can and should do to support these young men with off the field issues. but life isn't fair, the NFL is less fair and the goals of the team should take priority. even the death of a loved one.

And having your pro bowl #3 pick happy healthy and well (and productive) goes a long way in achieving those goals.

I get the impression when Marrone has his PC's and radio appearances that he is very concerned about his image and I think at times he talks too much (might take a lesson from Pop and Belichik in this regard)and tends to say things to get media/fans to like him. I think in this case he rambled on too much and in the end put his foot in his mouth. If he spends more time with Dareus it is because Dareus is an integral part of the defense and the Bills made a huge investment in him, I don't see him doing the same thing with a 3rd line player, that in and of itself shows his motivations are not completely altruistic.

He's trying to create a supportive we all have each other's back culture instead of a throw away one. That doesn't mean he will always or even regularly put players feelings over wins. He'd rather his players feel good coming to him with problems than be out there on their own though. Like I said earlier, it's often a smart long term investment as this team isn't better off ignoring the problem then letting him walk at the end of the deal

If Dareus was a fringe player he would be gone. That is not the case with him because he is an instrumental player for the team. The problem I have with his immaturity and recklessness is not so much what it does for him but how it could impact others. He could have killedsome innocent bystanders during his racing endeavors.

It's obvious that Dareus has some serious issues to deal with. Is it simply maturity and entitlement issues or does he have some serious mental health issues that need to be addressed? I don't know. There is a good chance that the league is going to take some severe punitive action against him under the code of conduct clause. When you are involved in a drug arrest and then shortly after are involved with a serious driving infraction then the commisioner's office is not going to be too sympathetic when considering an appropriate punishment.

I don't believe that Dareus is a criminal type of person. That doesn't mean that he isn't fool enough to jeopardize his career and life with immature behavior.

HOGWASH !!!

Agree with this. The job of a head coach is to WIN #1, no matter what. That's not to say Marcel shouldn't be getting help, there are likely councelors with the team that can help out. Saying something quick to the effect of, "how are you doing Marcel" to make Marcel feel like he cares is fine, but no need to get into feelings and meat of the problem. Thats energy put in the wrong place for a coach. Focus on winning because you're a coach, let councelors councel because thats what their job.

I get the impression when Marrone has his PC's and radio appearances that he is very concerned about his image and I think at times he talks too much (might take a lesson from Pop and Belichik in this regard)and tends to say things to get media/fans to like him. I think in this case he rambled on too much and in the end put his foot in his mouth. If he spends more time with Dareus it is because Dareus is an integral part of the defense and the Bills made a huge investment in him, I don't see him doing the same thing with a 3rd line player, that in and of itself shows his motivations are not completely altruistic.

I also agree with this, he said it because it's Dareus, but if its a player that doesn't mean much now, he could care less. He's just trying to play the PR game, and doing a very bad job at it.

And having your pro bowl #3 pick happy healthy and well (and productive) goes a long way in achieving those goals.

Just like sitting down and playing the "feelings" game with Stevie Johnson last year? Those achieved the goals he was intending right? 6-10 apparently was the goal

Edited by HamSandwhich

Yeah right, its his "personal issues" cause him to drag race and lose control of his vehicle. Being generally irresponsible has nothing to do with it. Thankfully no one was hurt

I've gotta admit, with that picture that you have, I figured you would go in a totally different direction with your response. IE more left, sympathetic, and all feelings driven. I agree with this, his "personal issues" does not put him behind a wheel to knowingly race. How is that a personal issue?

I know people hate speculation and I understand that, but this is a message board. I do have some experience in this area, and it would not surprise me if he had a chemical issue, such as Bipolar, based on what we know. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, in fact I have done just the opposite throughout. Just saying that I've seen this type of story play out before both personally and professionally and yes, if the team can help him get an issue like this under control (IF it is there) it will pay dividends for both the young man's own life and the team. See: Brandon Marshall. I am not educated on what he was diagnosed with, but he was painted as a problem child and shipped out of two places before he is now dominating and healthy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I know people hate speculation and I understand that, but this is a message board. I do have some experience in this area, and it would not surprise me if he had a chemical issue, such as Bipolar, based on what we know. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, in fact I have done just the opposite throughout. Just saying that I've seen this type of story play out before both personally and professionally and yes, if the team can help him get an issue like this under control (IF it is there) it will pay dividends for both the young man's own life and the team. See: Brandon Marshall. I am not educated on what he was diagnosed with, but he was painted as a problem child and shipped out of two places before he is now dominating and healthy.

In my profession, and my degree, I know all about this stuff, but it should not be Marrone donig the counceling. That's the point.

In my profession, and my degree, I know all about this stuff, but it should not be Marrone donig the counceling. That's the point.

Right - I am not sure he is, though. He didn't say he was, anyway, that I know of. I just thought he said he was supporting him - meaning he could just be getting him the counseling.

Right - I am not sure he is, though. He didn't say he was, anyway, that I know of. I just thought he said he was supporting him - meaning he could just be getting him the counseling.

Thats all well an good if that's all he's doing, then his W and L should not suffer from his helping Dareus. I take exception with his "even if it meant losing" statement. That is the antithesis of what a head coach is supposed to do. He should NEVER say that. I'll give him a pass, as TX stated earlier, its probably a product of Marrone talking for PR purposes. If it becomes a constant, where he says he would rather lose for something, that is an issue that needs correcting.

Marrone's job is to coach the players, not be a social worker. He can steer him to some professional for help if needed, but he is not the person to get involved in personal issues. Being supportive and standing by him is fine but should be limited to that. As far as sacrificing wins, he is dead wrong and I bet he regrets saying that, his job is to win games period.

Thats all well an good if that's all he's doing, then his W and L should not suffer from his helping Dareus. I take exception with his "even if it meant losing" statement. That is the antithesis of what a head coach is supposed to do. He should NEVER say that. I'll give him a pass, as TX stated earlier, its probably a product of Marrone talking for PR purposes. If it becomes a constant, where he says he would rather lose for something, that is an issue that needs correcting.

I agree, this is why I brought it up. It struck me as either disingenuous (because, is he trying to cover for the fact that they are actually helping him not b/c they think it is the right thing to do, but rather because they want him on the field and they can appeal to Goodell if any suspension came down that he has "issues" which he may indeed have) or just strange that he would say he'd take a loss over not helping a person. Like, if that is indeed true, why would he say that? Maybe I'm looking too much into it and as you said he just babbled and didn't realize what he was saying. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah right, its his "personal issues" cause him to drag race and lose control of his vehicle. Being generally irresponsible has nothing to do with it. Thankfully no one was hurt

wouldnt him being irresponsible qualify as a personal issue, potentially? the kind you can hopefully work on fixing? and if we can hes got potential to be a GREAT player.