2014 Midterms

The government issues a marker. It doesn't ascribe value.

Again, what does the dollar represent?

Yes, the government issues it, thank you

Believe me, there are plenty of characters of mine that have been influenced by DC Tom (and others on here and OTW). Your unmerciful humor is a ray of sunshine in this place most times. But I'm a sadist sooooo...

The two things I got going on right now, one of which you know a lot about (the one you helped out with is finally moving), will have a hefty influence of Tom humor if they ever get made. I'll definitely keep you posted. And if I can get a reliable Russian translator I'll show you some of the Moscow stuff in a form that would make sense.

Let me get this straight. You are a writer and DC Tom serves as one of your sources? Seriously? Edited by gatorman

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In fact, I think I'm here way too much. :lol:

Yes

Huh, I thought everyone was well aware of that.

Nope, I don't read every post, or near every post. If I post in a thread I'll read for awhile but that's all. There are only a few posters that are interesting to read anyway

Yes

Nope, I don't read every post, or near every post. If I post in a thread I'll read for awhile but that's all. There are only a few posters that are interesting to read anyway

Well then, now you know. It will give you a new appreciation for the conversations between them. It's actually quite entertaining once you realize what's actually going on between them.

Yes, the government issues it, thank you

Let me get this straight. You are a writer and DC Tom serves as one of your sources? Seriously?

To be fair, I'm not a very good writer so there's no reason for you to know that. There are a lot of folks on here who are very knowledgeable about a wide variety of fields and areas I am not. It's really the main reason I come down to PPP, it exposes me to a opinions and thinking outside my own bubble -- especially a west coast bubble. It's one of the ways I try to remain intellectually honest. I don't always succeed (as my posting history shows) but I try my best to put in the work.

Being on the board for over a decade and getting to know some folks here beyond their posts/image really is what makes this place special from other dark corners of the interwebs. I think this is also why some folks get annoyed by your posting style on here, not to lecture you in any way or trying to tell you how to live your life, but if you took the time to realize there are some really bright folks around here who can add insight you cannot readily find elsewhere, you could expand your own horizons a bit. Doesn't mean I agree with all their politics, they certainly don't agree with all of mine, but there's middle ground to be found if every post isn't combative or dismissive.

You'd be surprised how diverse the crowd around here is ('here' in the general TSW sense, not necessarily PPP) and how much you can learn about other people and their viewpoints. And since I write largely fiction which requires getting inside my character's heads and really understanding what makes them tick (if I'm doing my job right), getting to know some of the people on here by more than just their posts helps me tremendously to understand why people think certain ways and what really motivates them. That's the only way I can crack a character and voice that reads true.

Then again, maybe the fact I find inspiration in a place like this is why I'm a ****ty writer :D

:beer:

Don't sell yourself short greg. Your work helps me fall asleep every night :P

:lol: :lol:

That gives my life meaning. My HS guidance counselor always said I had the personality of a bottle of NyQuil.

In your defense, you don't drink nearly enough.

This is true. I only drink when the Bills are losing, so Mondays in the fall have been pretty rough for me. I've had to scale back:)

To be fair, I'm not a very good writer so there's no reason for you to know that. There are a lot of folks on here who are very knowledgeable about a wide variety of fields and areas I am not. It's really the main reason I come down to PPP, it exposes me to a opinions and thinking outside my own bubble -- especially a west coast bubble. It's one of the ways I try to remain intellectually honest. I don't always succeed (as my posting history shows) but I try my best to put in the work.

Being on the board for over a decade and getting to know some folks here beyond their posts/image really is what makes this place special from other dark corners of the interwebs. I think this is also why some folks get annoyed by your posting style on here, not to lecture you in any way or trying to tell you how to live your life, but if you took the time to realize there are some really bright folks around here who can add insight you cannot readily find elsewhere, you could expand your own horizons a bit. Doesn't mean I agree with all their politics, they certainly don't agree with all of mine, but there's middle ground to be found if every post isn't combative or dismissive.

You'd be surprised how diverse the crowd around here is ('here' in the general TSW sense, not necessarily PPP) and how much you can learn about other people and their viewpoints. And since I write largely fiction which requires getting inside my character's heads and really understanding what makes them tick (if I'm doing my job right), getting to know some of the people on here by more than just their posts helps me tremendously to understand why people think certain ways and what really motivates them. That's the only way I can crack a character and voice that reads true.

Then again, maybe the fact I find inspiration in a place like this is why I'm a ****ty writer :D

:beer:

Well said. Now of course, with that said you and I battle a good deal, but I don't think we disagree about that much. MMGW is one of our disagreements and to be honest, i have no problems with the government making contingency plans just in case Al Gore sat down in the haysack, got pricked and found the needle.

Where we seem to have the most difficulty with each other is in race issues. I think our styles (in this issue) are too dislike and that confuses the substance. I've thought for a long time that people in general have handled race with kid gloves, ie: PC! In the O'Reilly thread i linked his discussion instead of Bill Cosby's or Ben Carson's. I wanted a fired up, noisy back and forth. It took me awhile and overcoming a potential hijacking but that thread is now doing what I intended.

Well said. Now of course, with that said you and I battle a good deal, but I don't think we disagree about that much. MMGW is one of our disagreements and to be honest, i have no problems with the government making contingency plans just in case Al Gore sat down in the haysack, got pricked and found the needle.

Where we seem to have the most difficulty with each other is in race issues. I think our styles (in this issue) are too dislike and that confuses the substance. I've thought for a long time that people in general have handled race with kid gloves, ie: PC! In the O'Reilly thread i linked his discussion instead of Bill Cosby's or Ben Carson's. I wanted a fired up, noisy back and forth. It took me awhile and overcoming a potential hijacking but that thread is now doing what I intended.

Absolutely -- though I think we're closer on climate change than that. I don't have a position on if it's man-made or natural and don't really think it's important at this juncture in terms of governance. In the other thread, I really wasn't trying to hijack it but am glad it's back on track. :beer: