• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Meaning of the Midterms What 2014 portends for 2016

by Michael Barone

The defeat of Democratic senator Mary Landrieu by Republican representative Bill Cassidy in last weekend’s Louisiana runoff ends an election year that has been very successful for Republicans — and has implications for 2016. Some observations:

(1) Democrats relied heavily on legacy candidates — and lost nevertheless.

{snip}

The obvious implication for 2016 is that the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton, is something of a legacy candidate, too. Her own record as senator and secretary of state is perhaps less of an asset than the record of her husband, who first ran for office in 1974 and won his last election in 1996. That’s starting to seem like a long time ago.

more at the link:

The GOP 'leadership' sure doesn't appear to understand.

pic_cartoon_121214_new_A.jpg?itok=mzWg9Qav

By the time the 2016 election rolls around, Hilly will have been out of government for 4 years. When is the last time a president has been elected who had been out of office for any amount of time before becoming president, much less 4 years? That's going to be a hard thing to overcome.

By the time the 2016 election rolls around, Hilly will have been out of government for 4 years. When is the last time a president has been elected who had been out of office for any amount of time before becoming president, much less 4 years? That's going to be a hard thing to overcome.

Nixon with 8 years followed by Reagan with 5.

Sometimes I'd prefer someone who has never held and elected office.

Nixon with 8 years followed by Reagan with 5.

And Eisenhower was never in any office before the Presidency (unless you count SHAEF and Supreme Commander of NATO, in which case...six months.)

Sometimes I'd prefer someone who has never held and elected office.

You should qualify that further. That's a broad enough statement to include gatorman.

When is the last time a president has been elected who had been out of office for any amount of time before becoming president, much less 4 years?

I heard Krauthammer make a funny comment about Elizabeth Warren yesterday; something to the effect of "It would be great if Warren would run for president because a far-left first-term senator with absolutely no executive experience is exactly what the US is clamoring for right now."

I heard Krauthammer make a funny comment about Elizabeth Warren yesterday; something to the effect of "It would be great if Warren would run for president because a far-left first-term senator with absolutely no executive experience is exactly what the US is clamoring for right now."

That sad part is, a huge portion of our country wouldn't make the connection.

The GOP really needs to clone Lee Atwater before 2016.

It will allow her to run as an outsider.

Recalling Hill'ry's victory in the NYS Senate race as a "carpetbagger" painfully serves as precedent for running as an outsider. I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of her "listening tour" as was perpetrated on the good people of NYS a number of years ago. Probably a great listener, but she sadly heard very little and implemented even less.

Yes, outside of the realm of qualified or accomplished. Well within the realm of incompetent and entitled. She also has very slow reaction time to incoming shoes unless she's worked on that while out of office.

Edited by keepthefaith

It'll be hard to respond in kind because there are so few left-leaning legislatures left:

Liberal group plots to catch GOP state pols being racist and sexist.

The leader of a group hoping to improve liberals’ fortunes at the state level revealed on Friday plans to start tracking conservative state legislators based on the assumption that “someone’s going to say something about black people” or women.

The comments came at the first ever conference of the State Innovation Exchange (SiX), the Left’s attempt to counter conservative policy successes that have followed Republican victories at the state level.

“We’re working with David Brock and Media Matters and American Bridge who have trackers that we can send out to monitor the debate on some bills that you all might be running,” Nick Rathod, executive director of SiX, said. “I think in many legislatures my understanding is that a lot of legislatures stream their floor debates but don’t necessarily transcribe it or capture it in any kind of way. And so we want to start capturing them on that. I think we know, someone’s going to say something about black people. Someone’s going to say something about women. Someone is going to say something.”

Hey, I’ve got an absurdly sexist — and probably racist — legislator from a red state for you right here:

I don’t keep up with football, except college football. Unless it’s Eli Manning or Peyton Manning. Eli and Peyton don’t do sexual assaults against people, other than their wives.

Run with it! What? Oh, right. . . .

Edited by B-Man

It'll be hard to respond in kind because there are so few left-leaning legislatures left:

Hey, I’ve got an absurdly sexist — and probably racist — legislator from a red state for you right here:

I don’t keep up with football, except college football. Unless it’s Eli Manning or Peyton Manning. Eli and Peyton don’t do sexual assaults against people, other than their wives.

Run with it! What? Oh, right. . . .

Ladies and gents, we've found Hillary's next running mate. Right out of the Joe Biden "School of Extemporaneous Public Speaking." The teleprompter industry should be tossing oodles of campaign cash at the liberals.

• 4 weeks later...

New Congress............................

Krauthammer’s Take: ‘The Days of Hiding Under Harry Reid’s Desk Are Over’

Responding to New York senator Chuck Schumer’s proposal to use the amendment process to hold up the Keystone XL pipeline — which, given the Republican Congress shortly to be sworn in, will finally have the support of both chambers of the federal legislature — Charles Krauthammer pointed to the silver lining: that Schumer’s threat signals a new way of doing things in the Senate. Or, rather, a return to the old ways.

“What’s really important here is that Republicans are going to have a chance to show how — retroactively — for the last six years, everything has stopped in the Senate. Democrats stopped it, [former majority leader] Harry Reid stopped it. And they effectively acted as a shield to make Obama look as if he wasn’t the one stopping stuff.”

“Schumer and the others could prevent a few of the bills from landing on the president’s desk, with these ridiculous amendments — on Keystone, for example,” Krauthammer conceded. “But I think it will expose them. The days of hiding under Harry Reid’s desk are over.”

Edited by B-Man

Well, I guess the "cops are racists" story is over.

Notice how that nicely ran interference for the Dems having to explain why they got their asses kicked, historically, in this election?

Once again the MSM bails out the Democrat bad with the irrelevant.

Barbara Boxer (D - Ca) is announcing that she is retiring in 2016 ...........

"Call me Senator !!"

Sorry, Senator Boxer is retiring.............................It's just not as fun in the minority.

Will Michelle run ?

Barbara Boxer (D - Ca) is announcing that she is retiring in 2016 ...........

"Call me Senator !!"

Sorry, Senator Boxer is retiring.............................It's just not as fun in the minority.

Will Michelle run ?

Yeah, but this is a "devil you know" thing for me. Boxer wasn't entirely without reason. She's no Pelosi.

If Michelle, or some other far-left wingnut gets in? It's bad for the country. I highly doubt an R can win in California. Not after this electoral whipping. They have to hold what they have left. However, it does present the Rs with an opportunity. Losing the incumbency of Boxer creates the potential for chaos, as the wing nuts eat each other, in trying to get to the left of each other, to win the primary. This can generate all sorts of useful soundbites for the Rs. CA is big time, so it's not like it will be ignored.

Meanwhile, if the Rs can get a good candidate to run in CA and get within 5-8 pts in the polls, that candidate can cause funds to be diverted from where they are badly needed elsewhere, to where they shouldn't be needed in CA.

A lot of this is wishful. And a lot has to go just right. But, Scott Walker was never supposed to win 3 elections in 4 years....