2014 Midterms

As I've said many times, the party in power always screws up. It's simply the Democrats turn and they are doing a fine job of screwing up. It'll be interesting if we end up with a Republican House, Senate and White House after 2016. This country desperately needs common sense, pragmatic, principled and tough leadership. It's been a while since we had that.

Yeah, it's fine for the Republicans to talk about Reagan.

But, it's much harder to actually be Reagan, and make the tough choices. But perhaps more importantly, it's hard to go out and explain the tough choices. However, as you say, if you are truly principled and tough, it's doable.

Unfortunately, we have an unprincipled and weak turd occupying the office right now.

If you look at every place where Republicans have success against formidable odds/predictions, like in Indiana, Wisconsin, New Jersey, NYC and Reagan's presidency, they all have some commonality. And, it's not "what was his score on the conservative test", or any "pledge" thing or whatever. In each case, the individual person's quality, and good decisions, and the fundamental soundness of their policies are the largest reasons for success.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I've said many times, the party in power always screws up. It's simply the Democrats turn and they are doing a fine job of screwing up. It'll be interesting if we end up with a Republican House, Senate and White House after 2016. This country desperately needs common sense, pragmatic, principled and tough leadership. It's been a while since we had that.

What we'll get from them is more unchecked, intrusive, and bumbling Big Government, only with a marginally different special interest groups involved.

What we'll get from them is more unchecked, intrusive, and bumbling Big Government, only with a marginally different special interest groups involved.

I dunno. The TEA party has certainly shifted things.

What I am afraid of under those circumstances(R government)? A repeat of Obama's mistake: interpreting their win as 100% acceptance of their values. I'd be worried that instead of fixing the economy, which starts with overhauling and firing many at the IRS and EPA, implementing a Fair Tax, getting a reasonable energy policy in place, de-funding anything that isn't essential, reforming entitlements, repealing Obamacare and deploying a true system, not a political contrivance....

....which is plenty of work to do in 4 years, and if successfully done, would guarantee another 4, if not 12....

....we're going to waste time hearing about gay marriage, and all the other miniscule, bordering on irrelevant social issues.

WTF is gay marriage compared to entitlement reform in terms of "importance to country"? It's ridiculous to even put them on the same list of "issues".

Edited by OCinBuffalo

....we're going to waste time hearing about gay marriage, and all the other miniscule, bordering on irrelevant social issues.

WTF is gay marriage compared to entitlement reform in terms of "importance to country"? It's ridiculous to even put them on the same list of "issues".

The problem is OC, as you know, the GOP will be almost exclusively asked "social questions" by the unbiased moderators in a rather obvious attempt to trip them up.

I really wish that the Republicans would insist on non-media moderators.....OH the howls of outrage we would hear...................

I dunno. The TEA party has certainly shifted things.

What I am afraid of under those circumstances(R government)? A repeat of Obama's mistake: interpreting their win as 100% acceptance of their values. I'd be worried that instead of fixing the economy, which starts with overhauling and firing many at the IRS and EPA, implementing a Fair Tax, getting a reasonable energy policy in place, de-funding anything that isn't essential, reforming entitlements, repealing Obamacare and deploying a true system, not a political contrivance....

....which is plenty of work to do in 4 years, and if successfully done, would guarantee another 4, if not 12....

Bush followed by Obama should make it very easy for someone to be the next very good President. All kinds of low hanging fruit out there. By no means am I inferring that either Bush or Obama were/are good.

Michelle Nunn’s Campaign Plan

A leaked document gives the public a look.

A look at the dem's #1 "pickup" objective.

Joel Kotkin: To Fight Inequality, Blue States Need To Shift Focus To Blue-Collar Jobs.

Except, they look down on "blue collar people"

ROLL CALL: DCCC Reserves $43.5 Million in TV Airtime for Midterms.

Prospects Brighten for Republicans to Reclaim a Senate Majority

Strong GOP Candidates, Obama's Sagging Approval Expand Party's Map

http://online.wsj.com/articles/prospects-brighten-for-republicans-to-reclaim-a-senate-majority-1406503653?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

• 2 weeks later...

While this is not a mid-term election bit, I'm putting it here because it clearly shows one thing: the old B.O., he ain't what he used to be....

Obama-approved Hawaii Mayor wiped out in primary by 35 points.

Abercrombie is the first Hawaii governor to lose to a primary challenger and only the second not to win re-election. His defeat comes after Obama last month cut a radio ad for Abercrombie, invoking the Hawaiian word for family to tell voters in his native state that Abercrombie is "like ohana to me."

The governor was seen as confrontational and he angered many voters with a proposal last year to raise a host of taxes. The politically influential teachers union also campaigned for Ige after Abercrombie alienated teachers in 2011 by imposing a final contract that cut pay by 5 percent after negotiations failed.

Holder loses big in North Carolina Voter I.D. case

Eric Holder's Justice Department will do whatever it takes to prevent the states from protecting their elections.

Last month, the Justice Department asked for an injunction to prevent the state of North Carolina from implementing changes the legislators made to state election law. The lawsuit, first filed in 2013, is backed by the NAACP and the League of Women Voters, and claims that the new law–namely, its strict voter ID requirement–was passed in violation of the 14th, 15th, and 16th Amendments, as well as section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.

However, a federal district judge has ruled against the DoJ, which means that North Carolina's new election laws will be in force for the midterm elections come November.

The court held that, although the DoJ's lawsuit has merit (meaning that the court can't justify simply dismissing it,) attorneys for the plaintiffs failed to provide a "clear showing" of entitlement (meaning that they failed to show the court that they would succeed on the merits of their legal claims.) The court also said that, with regards to several of the claims, the plaintiffs had failed to show that they would suffer irreparable harm before trial in the absence of an injunction.

North Carolina's new election laws contain a complete overhaul of the state's policies. Although the main point of contention rests with the new voter ID laws, the bill also reforms existing law. From the opinion:

Apart from the voter ID provisions, which were new, the bill largely purported to repeal, amend, or update existing law. Other amendments included:

(1) making it illegal to compensate persons collecting voter registrations based on the number of forms submitted (Part 14);

(2) reducing the number of signatures required to become a candidate in a party primary (Part 22);

(3) deleting obsolete provisions about the 2000 census (Part 27)

(4) changing the order of candidates appearing on the ballot (Part 31);

(5) eliminating straight-ticket voting (Part 32);

(6) moving the date of the North Carolina presidential primary earlier in the year (Part 35);

(7) eliminating taxpayer funding for appellate judicial elections (Part 38);

(8) allowing funeral homes to participate in canceling voter registrations of deceased persons (Part 39); and

(9) requiring provisional ballots to be marked as such for later identification (Part 52).

The bill also proposed mandating that several matters be referred for further study, including requiring the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee to examine whether to maintain the State's current runoff system in party primaries. (Part 28.)

True to form, the plaintiffs in the case are arguing that the new law is discriminatory, and will prevent African American and other minorities from exercising their right to vote.

Election lawyer J. Christian Adams had this to say about the Justice Department's case against voter accountability:

The Justice Department actually used your tax dollars to pay for an expert to introduce the turnout-doesn't-matter-because-life-is-harder argument. Enterprising folks will submit a Freedom of Information request to find out how many tens of thousands of dollars that nonsense costs you.

According to the NCSL, 34 states have passed some sort of voter ID requirement, and 31 of those states have actually been able to put those requirements into effect. Earlier this year, a federal judge struck down similar legislation passed in Wisconsin, and a lack of consensus in the courts suggests that states' latest efforts to protect the integrity of elections could soon be heading for further scrutiny by the Supreme Court.

If North Carolina loses this fight, it's possible that the Justice Department will be able to force North Carolina to abandon the new laws entirely, and allow "federal observers" to monitor future elections in North Carolina.

You can read the full decision here.

Edited by B-Man

Terrific read on the full-goose-bozo desperation of the left to collect money.

Later came "I'm pleading (again)" and "Bad news to share" and "Please, Byron." More than a little desperation had crept into Pelosi's tone. Each message noted that I hadn't sent any money, and the minority leader's disappointment seemed to deepen by the day.

Vice President Joe Biden got in the game with a few emails, although he didn't grovel like Pelosi. Finally, Obama himself began emailing. With everything the president of the United States has on his plate right now, you'd think he'd have more pressing things to do. Apparently not.

The president's role is to apply a little discipline to uncooperative prospective donors like me. "Nancy Pelosi has emailed you," Obama wrote. "Joe Biden has emailed you. And now I've emailed you. We wouldn't all be asking if it wasn't so important." The message was clear: Get off your butt and give us some money.

Twenty years ago, just before the Republicans' stunning victory in the 1994 Clinton midterms, I also received a string of increasingly desperate-sounding mail — the paper kind — from theDemocratic Party. Curious to see how the party was treating small donors, I contributed $10. After that, I got a series of progressively worried entreaties; by October 1994, Democratic fundraisers sounded as if they knew disaster was on the way. Turned out it was.

Funny, you'd think that with congressional approval ratings being in the toilet because of "the most obstructionist House in history," people would want to get rid of Repubs. Not also give them the Senate.

The Tea Party is practically dead. They got slaughtered by Republican voters in the primaries. The Republican voters took their trash to the curb

And now they're coming after yours.

The single best hope a knob-gobbling statist like you ever had was for the Tea Party to screw it up for the GOP like it did last time. But you're too busy gobbling the knob to understand that what happened to the Tea Party this time around will be devastating to the left come November.

But yeah. Tea Party is practically dead. You go with that.

And now they're coming after yours.

The single best hope a knob-gobbling statist like you ever had was for the Tea Party to screw it up for the GOP like it did last time. But you're too busy gobbling the knob to understand that what happened to the Tea Party this time around will be devastating to the left come November.

But yeah. Tea Party is practically dead. You go with that.

I'll add "politics" to the list...