2014 Midterms

We're still months out from it but as the political fliers and mailers flood our doorsteps I figured I'd start this thread to talk about the more interesting races. Conventional wisdom holds that the GOP stands to win back the Senate and keep the House but the Democrats think they have a Hail Mary's chance of keeping the Senate.

I'll be paying attention to a couple races, in particular: Arkansas (Pryor v Cotton), Kentucky (McConnell v Grimes) and South Carolina (Graham v the world). I haven't started looking at any of the house races because I'm not ready to go down that particular rabbit hole of crazy yet.

Any races you're paying attention to? Thoughts about the midterms in general?

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my predictions have almost always been wrong unless I wait until about a month out. the outcome of senate races seems to me to be more in line with how well a party is polling in general. house races seem to be moving that way too over the last few election cycles, being more of a reflection of how the party polls as a whole, and less about local issues. I do think that TEA party candidates are going to make further inroads, and will likely be the biggest reason for any major republican victories.

Name to watch: Angus King. Independent from Maine who caucuses with the Democrats. He has said that maybe he will caucus with the Republicans if they win the Senate

He may literally be the "Kingmaker" in the Senate

Edited by /dev/null

While I occupy a lonely outpost, it's my dream that all incumbents will be defeated, that those elected will not be professional politicians, and that the electorate will continue to toss out those who do not honor their campaign promises.

It's my homage to Diogenes...I'm looking for an honest politician.

While I occupy a lonely outpost, it's my dream that all incumbents will be defeated, that those elected will not be professional politicians, and that the electorate will continue to toss out those who do not honor their campaign promises.

It's my homage to Diogenes...I'm looking for an honest politician.

this made me laugh- in a sad, tragic kind of way

Barbour and his allies did all they could for their friend, but there was that nagging contradiction at the heart of their argument: Cochran said he was as stoutly conservative and penny-pinching as McDaniel, but also the agent for many good things that come this state’s way courtesy of the despised national capital. Mississippi taxpayers get $3.07 back for every $1 they send to Washington, according to Wallet Hub, a personal finance Web site . The Tax Foundation ranks Mississippi No. 1 among the states in federal aid as a percentage of state revenue.

Strange numbers, you’d think, for a Beltway-hating state, but Marty Wiseman, the former director of the Stennis Institute at Mississippi State University, explained the apparent inconsistency. “Our anti-Washington politics has been to make sure that we got as much of it here as we could,” he said. “You’ve got the tea party excited that they’ve corralled a big spender, but he was bringing it back to Mississippi. That’s the paradox of all paradoxes.”

Indeed. “If Mississippi did what the tea party claims they want . . . we would become a Third World country, quickly,” said Rickey Cole, the state Democratic chairman. “We depend on the federal government to help us build our highways. We depend on the federal government to fund our hospitals, our health-care system. We depend on the federal government to help us educate our students on every level.”

And they probably wouldn't be the only state!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ej-dionne-jr-will-mississippi-elect-a-candidate-who-vows-to-cut-federal-spending/2014/06/04/704d3c3a-ec1d-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html

Have you been paying attention? The way this administration has handled the roll out of his signature legislation and our foreign policy is an insult to the Banana Republic.

Can I ask a favor? Please don't respond to my messages :) Thanks in advance

As long as you repay the favour by not responding to any of ours :lol:

I'll sign up for you. You are a completely worthless poster. A drive by idiot with nothing to add. Well, I mean, worthless aside from stroking a certain other posters delicate ego. 0:)

I'll sign up for you. You are a completely worthless poster. A drive by idiot with nothing to add. Well, I mean, worthless aside from stroking a certain other posters delicate ego. 0:)

You already violated the deal. Worthless piece of ****.

I'm w/ meazza. G'man, for the love of God, please don't even read anything I might happen to post. (Thanks in advance!)

Sure thing! You are also a completely worthless poster. Just a complete zero...though not as bad as the other two

You have to admit that Mississippi's standard of living is greatly improved by federal largess

Money in vs. money out is not the black and white argument it is portrayed to be by the left.

The individual states are required to adhere to various federal standards which their citizens often do not support at the state and local level. These standards incur costs.

States left to their own devices would not be required to spend to these standards, and more than enough money would be left to provide ample services.

Further, it has been demonstrated that more money allocated =/ better services, rather just more spending.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Money in vs. money out is not the black and white argument it is portrayed to be by the left.

The individual states are required to adhere to various federal standards which their citizens often do not support at the state and local level. These standards incur costs.

States left to their own devices would not be required to spend to these standards, and more than enough money would be left to provide ample services.

Further, it has been demonstrated that more money allocated =/ better services, rather just more spending.

So Mississippi would be better off with less federal money/jobs? Like Rebuilding after Katrina?

Sure thing! You are also a completely worthless poster. Just a complete zero...though not as bad as the other two

Me too please. I think if we get him to honor this with every poster he disagress with whe will be forced out.

Me too please. I think if we get him to honor this with every poster he disagress with whe will be forced out.

Nah, he'd still have (likely quite entertaining, I might add) discussions w/ Birddog & EII.

But his quantity of posts would be severely decreased.

Nah, he'd still have (likely quite entertaining, I might add) discussions w/ Birddog & EII.

But his quantity of posts would be severely decreased.

Hey, leave him be! If Chef doesn't want to ask me super generalized and entirely pointless questions, so be it!