top Sci Fi Movies All Time

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are all of the sci-fi movies in my "Top 100 movies" list(of which I have about 150 movies in it). They are not all great movies.....merely ones that I particularly like(so a few superhero ones get in...even though they aren't brilliant).

Star Wars: A new hope

Close encounters of the third kind

Superman the movie

Alien

Star Wars: The empire strikes back

Superman II

Time Bandits

Blade Runner

Terminator

Dune

Back to the Future 1, 2 & 3

Aliens

Terminator 2

The Fifth Element

The Matrix

X-Men

Spider-man

X-Men 2

Hulk

Terminator 3

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

Serenity

Iron Man

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

X-Men First Class

Captain America

Avengers

Iron Man 3

Captain America Winter Soldier

X-Men Days of Future Past

Edited by Dibs

Most of my nominations have already been mentioned. But a coupleI haven't seen yet:

The Fifth Element

The Great Escape

Favorite actor - Jimmy Stewart - so anything of his. Mr Smith Goes To Washington, Its a Wonderful Life and Shop Around the Corner.All terrific.

Jimmy Stewart is great, but I'd have to go with Steve McQueen. There was never was a cooler cat B-)

Edited by /dev/null

Most of my nominations have already been mentioned. But a coupleI haven't seen yet:

The Fifth Element

The Great Escape

Jimmy Stewart is great, but I'd have to go with Steve McQueen. There was never was a cooler cat B-)

"The Fifth Element" has been mentioned a couple times. I'm a bit surprised, I didn't know that movie was so well liked.

"The Fifth Element" has been mentioned a couple times. I'm a bit surprised, I didn't know that movie was so well liked.

Milla Jovovich wearing nothing but an Ace bandage and Bruce Willis saving the world --- what's not to like?

Milla Jovovich wearing nothing but an Ace bandage and Bruce Willis saving the world --- what's not to like?

I'll give you Bruce Willis, and let's not forget Gary Oldman. Milla Jovovich doesn't do anything for me. Although I saw her at WonderCon a few years ago and she was super cool.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most thought provoking films of all time. Should be at the top of the list.

2001 and Empire Strikes Back are a real cut above for me.

Also, sort of the Russian equivalent to 2001, the original Solaris is INCREDIBLY GOOD. Perhaps more psychologically riveting than 2001 and a totally subversive film considering its place of origin.

Primer is pretty amazing for a low-budget feature, too.

2001 and Empire Strikes Back are a real cut above for me.

Also, sort of the Russian equivalent to 2001, the original Solaris is INCREDIBLY GOOD. Perhaps more psychologically riveting than 2001 and a totally subversive film considering its place of origin.

Primer is pretty amazing for a low-budget feature, too.

Another vote for Primer.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most thought provoking films of all time. Should be at the top of the list.

I actually liked the sequel "2010" more.

I'd give it an honorable mention.

Also "Predator" deserves honorable mention

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No question that you have to honor 2001. Even if it is one of the slowest movies in the history of cinema.

I agree with those who say 2001 was tops.

The ones I don't get are the ones that while fun, are not thought provoking in any way. Yes, I enjoyed Terminator and Predator but those movies hardly make you think. The original Alien, yes. The rest, not so much. If these can be considered great science fiction then why not "Mars Attacks". That was a fun movie.

I agree with those who say 2001 was tops.

The ones I don't get are the ones that while fun, are not thought provoking in any way. Yes, I enjoyed Terminator and Predator but those movies hardly make you think. The original Alien, yes. The rest, not so much. If these can be considered great science fiction then why not "Mars Attacks". That was a fun movie.

I think the issue is the broad nature of the term sci-fi. I tend to use the terms "true sci-fi" or "pure sci-fi" to discribe those sort of movies. "Moon" mentioned by Mark Vader above is a great example of the sort of sci-fi you are talking about.....a great thinking sci-fi.

It's the same with books. Some are the brilliantly cerebral Asimovian type......while others are the pulpy action based fluff such as Buck Rogers. It's technically all sci-fi though.