top Sci Fi Movies All Time

I agree with those who say 2001 was tops.

The ones I don't get are the ones that while fun, are not thought provoking in any way. Yes, I enjoyed Terminator and Predator but those movies hardly make you think. The original Alien, yes. The rest, not so much. If these can be considered great science fiction then why not "Mars Attacks". That was a fun movie.

So you've never put much thought into how if you never sent a guy back in time to bang your mom, you wouldn't be alive today? It crosses my mind at least twice a week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue is the broad nature of the term sci-fi. I tend to use the terms "true sci-fi" or "pure sci-fi" to discribe those sort of movies. "Moon" mentioned by Mark Vader above is a great example of the sort of sci-fi you are talking about.....a great thinking sci-fi.

It's the same with books. Some are the brilliantly cerebral Asimovian type......while others are the pulpy action based fluff such as Buck Rogers. It's technically all sci-fi though.

I loved "Moon."

I think the issue is the broad nature of the term sci-fi. I tend to use the terms "true sci-fi" or "pure sci-fi" to discribe those sort of movies. "Moon" mentioned by Mark Vader above is a great example of the sort of sci-fi you are talking about.....a great thinking sci-fi.

It's the same with books. Some are the brilliantly cerebral Asimovian type......while others are the pulpy action based fluff such as Buck Rogers. It's technically all sci-fi though.

Today many people classify movies like "Star Wars" as "Fantasy" instead of "Sci-Fi". I personally don't think that's necessary, but people love to differentiate.

So you've never put much thought into how if you never sent a guy back in time to bang your mom, you wouldn't be alive today? It crosses my mind at least twice a week.

When the most intricate part of the plot line is easily grasped by the average Canadian or makes a pot head say "Whoaaaaa Duuuude" but stop short of "That like totally blows my mind", then I consider it a bit lacking.

Today many people classify movies like "Star Wars" as "Fantasy" instead of "Sci-Fi". I personally don't think that's necessary, but people love to differentiate.

Today many people classify "Twilight" as a vampire movie.

Many people are !@#$ing idiots.

I like most already mentioned.

What do you guys think of starship troopers?

For me it is a guilty pleasure movie. It should be hard to watch....but for some reason I find it highly entertaining.

The movie was a travesty. An excellent book turned to cow manure. I'd like to see a remake based closely on the book using current CGI

That movie is a lot better than it deserves to be. Not one of my favorites, but I was entertained. Michael Ironside is so cool in that movie.

The movie was a travesty. An excellent book turned to cow manure. I'd like to see a remake based closely on the book using current CGI

I had no idea it was a book.

Good topic. Until recently, I never occurred to me that I was a huge "sci-fi" fan but it would take time to list all the sci-fi movies, books and TV shows that are favorites. Perhaps the "sci-fi" stigma?

Anyway, in addition to Primer and Moon (both outstanding), I'd add Source Code and Time Crimes. I'd welcome any recommendations based on these movies.

BTW, I couldn't stand Starship Troopers (the movie) and the Forever War (book). I'm now wary of military sci-fi as fantasy stuff for the Cheeto-eaters who live in their parents' basement.

A few of my book recommendations:

The Wool series

Dune (will try the others)

Altered Carbon

The Martian

Wayward Pines series

Hyperion (will try the others)

I had no idea it was a book.

Award winning book by Robert Heinlein.....and IMO quite a good read.

The book/movie relationship is interesting in that the many fascist elements in the book(which provoke serious contemplation while reading) are portrayed in the movie as dystopian elements to society.

(Also interesting is that both Dib and Dibs have decent interest in the book....go figure).