top Sci Fi Movies All Time

Here's mine:

1.Alien

- brilliant from start to finish. Detailed sets, conveyed the isolation of deep space, creepy emotionless creature (modeled after the tarantula wasp).

2. The Terminator

Arnold finally finds the perfect role.

3. Prometheus

- not nearly as perfect as its sister movie alien, as it descended to modern Hollywood patterns. But it still was provocative and the opening scene was nothing less than stunning.

4. Cloverfield

Low budget but still provided the ugliest, nastiest creature in history. And since it was an indie had the freedom to have an unhappy ending where the main characters are all offed.

5. Godzilla (original)

Charming and philosophical, a must see from a less visually sophisticated but more thoughtful era.

6. Blade runner

Stark and scary interpretation of the classic man vs machine theme as vehicle to pose questions about identity, creation and creators, and mortality.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list. 1,2,4,6 I totally agree with. I think I would replace 5 and 3 with Aliens and the Kurt Russell remake of The Thing. I also have a special affinity for Escape From New York. Has a certain 80s charm that I can't put my finger on but really enjoy.

One of my favorite scenes from Prometheus was when that lady scientist had the alien inside of her ready to hatch and she had to scramble to the infirmary with the robotic operating machine to get the thing out of her before it killed her.

Edited by Dante

Good list. 1,2,4,6 I totally agree with. I think I would replace 5 and 3 with Aliens and the Kurt Russell remake of The Thing. I also have a special affinity for Escape From New York. Has a certain 80s charm that I can't put my finger on but really enjoy.

One of my favorite scenes from Prometheus was when that lady scientist had the alien inside of her ready to hatch and she had to scramble to the infirmary with the robotic operating machine to get the thing out of her before it killed her.

Hey no spoilers !!! :P

@Dante, I debated The Thing remake in my mind, but concluded it was a bit more entertainment than something provocative with longer term lasting impression ... for me anyway. Also considered The Fly remake. Good to see you're a Cloverfield fan, figured most wouldn't appreciate that one

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I enjoyed Cloverfield even though it got kinda panned by a lot of people. Sorry meazza.I thought the It had been long enough. I don't think I gave up anything as far as the plot goes though. Good movie. We have the blue ray at home that I want to watch now

I enjoyed Cloverfield even though it got kinda panned by a lot of people. Sorry meazza.I thought the It had been long enough. I don't think I gave up anything as far as the plot goes though. Good movie. We have the blue ray at home that I want to watch now

Smoking hot chick in that one. On my list, Sean young in blade runner was no slouch either

4. Cloverfield

Low budget but still provided the ugliest, nastiest creature in history. And since it was an indie had the freedom to have an unhappy ending where the main characters are all offed.

Just a quibble over a technicality (because I'm that guy), it wasn't an indie. It was a 30 million dollar Paramount monster movie. It was considered "small" because the price tag was under 100, which for Paramount might be indie status but there was nothing indie about the production or talent behind or in front of the camera.

In no particular order:

Star Wars (The Original)

The Empire Strikes Back

Forbidden Planet

The Day the Earth Stood Still (The Original)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Alien

Dark City

The War of the Worlds (Both George Pal's & Steven Spielberg's versions)

@Dante, I debated The Thing remake in my mind, but concluded it was a bit more entertainment than something provocative with longer term lasting impression ... for me anyway. Also considered The Fly remake. Good to see you're a Cloverfield fan, figured most wouldn't appreciate that one

"Cloverfield" is a fun movie, I know some people had an issue with the hand held camera, but it was a good tense movie.

I also like that you picked the original "Godzilla" in your list. The dark, grainy black and white footage of the movie makes Godzilla look frightening.

I also like that you picked the original "Godzilla" in your list. The dark, grainy black and white footage of the movie makes Godzilla look frightening.

Love the entrance where they used the mountain in foreground to convey his enormity...and that sound, classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLqSmJ9jsH8

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack