Holy Chites...I should be in jail for my parenting skills

plenzmd1

Man, the "times are different" rabble are so out of touch with reality. The fact is that almost all violent crime rates are at lower levels than they were during the "glorious" 1950's. It's really sad that a person in a position of authority would use that excuse when issuing a verdict. Letting an 8 year old walk around in 2014 is no less safe than in 1950.

Times ARE different, because even thought the thread is less, the PERCEPTION of the thread is far, far greater.

I still call B.S. At 8 the kid should know well enough not to get into someone else's car. The father has the right to instruct the kid about life and sometimes life does kick you in the ass.

An 8 year is not a robot. They are looking for trust through guidance and abandoning them (what they feel is abandonment) is no way to build trust. The dude just abandoned me, and I am suppose to follow his rules? They have to be thinking: "I will take my chances with the person who is nicer to me."

Then factor in the emotionally distraught state the child is in. 8 is a pretty young age to try pack up all that baggage and get the emotions squared away. Heck, most adults can't do it.

If it played out like JA said... He's right, pretty big parenting fail and the dude is lucky to get off easy. What a bad & unsafe way to teach a lesson.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

An 8 year is not a robot. They are looking for trust through guidance and abandoning them (what they feel is abandonment) is no way to build trust. The dude just abandoned me, and I am suppose to follow his rules? They have to be thinking: "I will take my chances with the person who is nicer to me."

Then factor in the emotionally distraught state the child is in. 8 is a pretty young age to try pack up all that baggage and get the emotions squared away. Heck, most adults can't do it.

If it played out like JA said... He's right, pretty big parenting fail and the dude is lucky to get off easy. What a bad & unsafe way to teach a lesson.

I still disagree. I see too many kids today who have no sense of boundaries or what socially constructive behavior is. Just the other day I watched some mother with her 10-11 year old daughter in Walgreens. The kid takes a play ball out of a sale display and starts wildly bouncing it in the store. She wipes out stuff on a shelf, the mother says nothing. Then the kid gets loud on top of bouncing the thing. The mother does nothing until the kid happens to hit her in the jaw with the ball. Then because it hurt all the sudden the behavior was wrong, though, the mother just whined about it.

WTF, if I did that at the same age my mother would have busted my nuts fir grabbing ten ball out of the display from the moment it happened. Not to mention I would have been restocking shelves had I knocked stuff over. I fear to think what she might have done had I hit her with the ball. While all of this under today's rules makes my mother a hard ass she did it because to love a child also means knowing when to make the child understand decent behavior and limits.

Sorry but the judge had no place in this situation.

who here did or didn't walk 3 to 4 blocks to school when they were between 6 and 8 years old? (often with older siblings)

Hell, I know I did when I was in at least 4th or 5th grade (mid to late 60's)

I know my nieces and nephew aren't allowed to. The school won't let them - liability reasons.

There are still some areas if the kids live less than 1/2 mile from the school then you walk (or get a ride from the parent).

2 that I can speak of (1) When I was a kid going to St Andrews and

(2) my youngest in 2002 in Texas. but at that time she was 9.

I know my nieces and nephew aren't allowed to. The school won't let them - liability reasons.

Really, none @ all? That's crazy. Is the school on a main street or highway? Or is it a pretty safe environment? Maybe they don't want crossing guards, etc... Here they just block off a certain streets and have a set pattern for drop-off or pick-up. Right now, my daughter leaves out of school in about a 1/2 hour or so... It is only about a 1/4-1/2 mile walk through town... Sometimes she will ride her bike. It really helps not having to drag the car out. I am on midnights and just try and be up around this time. One thing nice about shift work, somebody is always home. Also, the neighborhood is always busy with activity.

There are still some areas if the kids live less than 1/2 mile from the school then you walk (or get a ride from the parent).

2 that I can speak of (1) When I was a kid going to St Andrews and

(2) my youngest in 2002 in Texas. but at that time she was 9.

I think here it might be mile. Then private/Catholic/whatever, I think bus service was @ above 2 miles. I think you could claim mileage allotment or something... We never did claim it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

and FWIW even when my kids walked (we watched discretely from afar) we still worried about the kids being picked up by pedophiles.

Yep... Like right now, is the window where I expect her home... I am peaking down the street. ;-)

All is well! Like just a few seconds ago, I use the "cover" of: "Oh hi, how was school?... I am just out checking to see if the a/c unit is working okay." Or winter: "Fancy seeing you here, just out shoveling snow." LoL Think she gets I am being a busy body? LoL