Holy Chites...I should be in jail for my parenting skills

plenzmd1

Sorry to poo poo.. :-). But, gee could they have not left out the most important thing:

"...The age of the boy is unclear. Demond’s attorney and a prosecutor didn’t immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press..."

Sorry... Can't have my reaction till i know the kids age... And possibly his height too... ;-)

Sorry to poo poo.. :-). But, gee could they have not left out the most important thing:

"...The age of the boy is unclear. Demonds attorney and a prosecutor didnt immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press..."

Sorry... Can't have my reaction till i know the kids age... And possibly his height too... ;-)

Comments on the original article the AP took it's story from, claim the kid is 8

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/father-punished-for-old-school-discipline/article_74fc9c34-e705-11e3-b1ea-001a4bcf887a.html

When I was in junior high, the rule was if you missed the bus because you had detention, you walked home (about 4 miles). Naturally I never walked even half that distance because I'd just hitchhike and never failed to get picked up (usually by some stay at home mom). I wonder how many 'offenses' that scenario would be worth today.

Like the Plez said... Damn... That's borderline... Oh well, thanx, I was wondering wher Plez came up w/the 8 age thing.

When I was in junior high, the rule was if you missed the bus because you had detention, you walked home (about 4 miles). Naturally I never walked even half that distance because I'd just hitchhike and never failed to get picked up (usually by some stay at home mom). I wonder how many 'offenses' that scenario would be worth today.

Dear Penthouse...

LoL... Probably my neighbor... She'd pick up hitchers all through the 1960's and 70's... Her take was: "I really hate to see those poor kids have to walk." LoL...

LoL... Probably my neighbor... She'd pick up hitchers all through the 1960's and 70's... Her take was: "I really hate to see those poor kids have to walk." LoL...

It's funny; people hitched and picked up hitchers all the time even through the 80s; no one though anything about it (at least until that ABC After School Special). I had a friend in college who'd hitch 100 miles from Rhode Island to Meriden, CT if he didn't have a ride.

Dear Penthouse...

Sadly, they hadn't invented MILFs or cougars yet. :D

None. Today, they wouldn't let you leave the school building until your ride arrived.

None. Today, they wouldn't let you leave the school building until your ride arrived.

My older sister and her friends would cut class... Somebody in the shop area would leave a door open so they could get back in... One time they were hitching by the Seneca Mall (went to West Seneca West)... The assistant principal was out cruising for cutters... He pulls up and says: "Hey girls, can I give you a ride?" Man, she said they scattered... Bam! Like deer across Caz Creek! WTF, he knew who they were... Just take the ride back to school...

It wasn't like my parents were going to cover for her...

Never hitchhiked in high school or below, but did several times in college between school and Bills games. Went to school near Pittsburgh, only had one issue ....totally loaded dude in a small Winnebago picked me up...he stopped to squirt after about 40 minutes and I skedaddled ....dude had to die later he could not make it more than 100 yards without going over one of the lines.

Like the Plez said... Damn... That's borderline... Oh well, thanx, I was wondering wher Plez came up w/the 8 age thing.

I think walking a mile at age 8 is perfectly acceptable, most kids at 7 , 6 maybe a bit young.

But I am one who does not believe my kids are dolts and I believe 100% much safer than we ever were. As I tell people, if a car came up to me when I was 8 ,walking home from school, and some dude said"jump in, your Mom is sick and I am here to pick you up" I would have jumped right in. My kids would run, scream "stranger danger" and take a plate number, and call 911 when they were 8.

Edited by plenzmd1

I think walking a mile at age 8 is perfectly acceptable, most kids at 7 , 6 maybe a bit young.

But I am one who does not believe my kids are dolts and I believe 100% much safer than we ever were. As I tell people, if a car came up to me when I was 8 ,walking home from school, and some dude said"jump in, your Mom is sick and I am here to pick you up" I would have jumped right in. My kids would run, scream "stranger danger" and take a plate number, and call 911 when they were 8.

True. It also depends on the road... Major road or highway, bit older... A mile through town younger. Heck, my father in the 1930's was already working in the fields starting @ 6 and sneaking into Hamburg Fair @ 8...

Frig... He hopped a freight @ 9 in the 1940's during the war and went from Cheektowaga to Rochester... My grandfather was livid... He didn't drive and had to get a ride to Rochester, let alone the day off from work.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That happened to me when I was 5. Coming out of kindergarten, this car pulls up and the guy inside says "I'll drive you home." So I jumped in. My kindergarten teacher flipped out - she'd never met my dad before.

That took a bit of straightening out. Would've been quicker to walk home.

Let's see:

(1) The kid was 8.

(2) The dad drove away left his bawling kid standing on the side of the road.

(3) The kid WAS picked up by a stranger driving on the same road.

This sounds like a story with a good outcome?

Kick your teen out of the car? OK.

Kick your 8 year old out of the car and drive away while he's bawling, then return to find him gone? What kind of parent is this? I am sure the dad prefers his 1 year probation to the many worse things that could have happened. He should STFU and be happy.

Edited by John Adams

Let's see:

(1) The kid was 8.

(2) The dad drove away.

(3) The kid WAS picked up by a stranger driving on the road.

This sounds like a story with a good outcome?

Kick your teen out of the car? OK.

Kick your 8 year old out of the car and drive away while he's bawling, then return to find him gone? What kind of parent is this? I am sure the dad prefers his 1 year probation to the many worse things that could have happened. He should STFU and be happy.

Yep... Up there with other parenting fails... Leave your kid bawling while a stranger picks them up... Simply great!

Ranks up there with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9YawColFU

That happened to me when I was 5. Coming out of kindergarten, this car pulls up and the guy inside says "I'll drive you home." So I jumped in. My kindergarten teacher flipped out - she'd never met my dad before.

That took a bit of straightening out. Would've been quicker to walk home.

Even worse now because of the sign of the times... Broken homes, etc... Can you really blame them with the crazy stuff that has happened through the years? Liability falls back to them in many cases. My daughter's Middle School is only a few blocks away... Even if I am swinging by, they are instructed not to get into any car... Yes, it is a pain in the azz, but I can't say I blame them... I just let her finish walking most of the way home and if I am swinging by, make sure it is out of view of the school. Likle you said, just easier and safer to just let them finish their walk.

Man, the "times are different" rabble are so out of touch with reality. The fact is that almost all violent crime rates are at lower levels than they were during the "glorious" 1950's. It's really sad that a person in a position of authority would use that excuse when issuing a verdict. Letting an 8 year old walk around in 2014 is no less safe than in 1950.

Edited by Fingon

If this is the case then the judge in the case should be convicted of something. She has no place sticking her nose in parenting. I suppose there is more to the story but as it reads on the surface kudo's to the father.

Man, the "times are different" rabble are so out of touch with reality. The fact is that almost all violent crime rates are at lower levels than they were during the "glorious" 1950's. It's really sad that a person in a position of authority would use that excuse when issuing a verdict. Letting an 8 year old walk around in 2014 is no less safe than in 1950.

Times are different... Even if it is more or less just as safe to walk around now as it was in 1950. I was commenting on what Tom said about getting into a vehicle. Divorce rates and broken homes are at a higher rate now than they were in 1950. A lot of incidents are tied to people who know the victim. That's all I was pointing out. A teacher doesn't know the home situation and if they never seen who is authorized to pick-up a child... I think it should very well raise red flags.

If this is the case then the judge in the case should be convicted of something. She has no place sticking her nose in parenting. I suppose there is more to the story but as it reads on the surface kudo's to the father.

I am going by how JA laid things out. I think the judge has every right to stick her nose into parenting of this situation.

I am going by how JA laid things out. I think the judge has every right to stick her nose into parenting of this situation.

I still call B.S. At 8 the kid should know well enough not to get into someone else's car. The father has the right to instruct the kid about life and sometimes life does kick you in the ass.