Anyone want to host the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Just Jack

Good, I hope the whole thing crumbles under its own weight and forces them to reinvent it as a dramatically smaller event (like it used to be). The Olympics is almost unwatchable now due to the greed-fueled excessive growth over the past 30 years;

-The ridiculous amount of new events every time means you rarely see anything good (oh goodie, TEAM, pairs ice dancing tonight!)

-As a result, the number of athletes has grown to absurd levels, requiring the huge infrastructure which is now bankrupting entire countries.

-Tens of millions spent on stupid 'opening ceremonies'

-Always televised by the worst network ever (NBC)

For anyone whose been to Lake Placid; try to imagine that little village hosting the modern Olympic boondoggle.

For anyone whose been to Lake Placid; try to imagine that little village hosting the modern Olympic boondoggle.

I've seen mention of them hosting it again if no one else wants too. Gonna have to empty out the prison and make it the athlete village again if they do that.

Good, I hope the whole thing crumbles under its own weight and forces them to reinvent it as a dramatically smaller event (like it used to be). The Olympics is almost unwatchable now due to the greed-fueled excessive growth over the past 30 years;

-The ridiculous amount of new events every time means you rarely see anything good (oh goodie, TEAM, pairs ice dancing tonight!)

-As a result, the number of athletes has grown to absurd levels, requiring the huge infrastructure which is now bankrupting entire countries.

-Tens of millions spent on stupid 'opening ceremonies'

-Always televised by the worst network ever (NBC)

True... Even for 1980 the Olympics were starting to get a little too big for its britches. Lake Placid was the emergency fall back sight because Vancouver fell through.

I can't see why it can't be now for 2022... Yes, down scale the Olympics drastically... What better place than have Lake Placid kick off the new trend!

Yet, like the poster above said... Rotate the Winter Olympics among a group. Stuff like bobsled runs, ski jumps, terrain parks is so high maintenance.

When I was in Park City this past Feb the locals there were saying that SLC will be playing for another hosting sometime in the near future. Sarajevo is a tough example as that country went through a extreme internal uprising, to say the least, just after hosting.

Edited by BuffaloBud

They should just have 3-4 cities hosting the winter games on rotation. That way these facilities would actually be used in between Winter Olympics.

I agree completely. SLC did fairly well when the Olympics were here, and I've always felt like we should host it again because we already built a lot of the infrastructure for it. Plus, many of the facilities are still used extensively. For instance, the speed skating rink is always in use and hosts competitions (including world championships) all the time. The ski jumps are also used year round for training purposes, and many other Olympic athletes come here to train for the facilities.

I went to the ski jumps this past winter to check out the museum there (which was cool), and while on a tour they guide did say that SLC is preparing a bid for another Olympic games. I think he said 2026, though.

EDIT: yeah, looks like 2026. No American city is bidding on 2022. 2026 remains a possibility, though some of it will depend on who gets the 2024 Summer games.

There's also a web site dedicated to the 2026 SLC bid.

Edited by Rubes

• 5 months later...

I know it's crazy talk but we did just build a few new hockey rinks downtown and some new hotels.

;-)

The city can't get out of its own way long enough to replace the Peace Bridge. They couldn't successfully attract a Bass Pro shop. I would LOVE to see them bid on the Olympics. That would be hilarious. :lol:

The city can't get out of its own way long enough to replace the Peace Bridge. They couldn't successfully attract a Bass Pro shop. I would LOVE to see them bid on the Olympics. That would be hilarious. :lol:

It could be the first bi-national olympics. WNY and southern Ontario.

when was the last time you spent 4 minutes in the city?