Did Led Zeppelin Steal ‘Stairway to Heaven’?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know, I think there is some merit to the claim...but Stairway is such an epic song, with so many different sections, it would be hard to quantify how much of it they ripped off. Or, maybe more accurately, how much of what they ripped off makes up the song "Stairway to Heaven".

It's the intro and repeated throughout the initial verses. To me the intro in and of itself is key, its what gets your attention, sets the mood, and the song would not be distinctive without it.... overall the familiar segment is the song's theme, and theme is of course critical

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is there a difference between what American courts decide and British/Australian courts decide? Or do they basically follow the same rules?

In British courts you have to wear a powdered wig.

Led Zeppelin not only has a huge history of being accused of plagiarism, but they also have a long history of settling or losing those cases. Many Zeppelin songs now have credits for the original writers.

Example: Willie Dixon is credited as a writer on "Whole 'Lotta love" because the song is pretty much directly ripped from "You Need Love".

I really, really don't doubt that Led Zeppelin stole at least part of "Stairway to Heaven" that's kind of what they do. That doesn't mean they're not a great band however.

Led Zeppelin not only has a huge history of being accused of plagiarism, but they also have a long history of settling or losing those cases. Many Zeppelin songs now have credits for the original writers.

Example: Willie Dixon is credited as a writer on "Whole 'Lotta love" because the song is pretty much directly ripped from "You Need Love".

I really, really don't doubt that Led Zeppelin stole at least part of "Stairway to Heaven" that's kind of what they do. That doesn't mean they're not a great band however.

Incredible how blatant some of these were. Did they really think no one would notice? Why not just call them covers? Songs would have been a hit no matter.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

My knowledge of the Ring Cycle, on the other hand, comes from "What's Opera, Doc?"

One of my favorite exchanges from Seinfeld was Elaine shaming Jerry for his knowledge of high culture being primarily sourced from Bugs Bunny cartoons, followed by Jerry's rendition of the Bugs Overture.

Bugs + Schoolhouse Rock probably contributed more to my education than any single non-math teacher I had before reaching college (and most of the college profs too).

The craziest lawsuit like this, IMO, was when the manager or CCR ended up with their songrights - pissing off Fogerty to no end. He wrote the song Vandtz can't dance on Centerfield about him, and refused to play their songs for years. (Luckily, he'll be playing them when I see him in August).

Well, the manager then sued Fogerty for his solo stuff sounding too much like the songs he owned - the ones that Fogerty wrote for CCR! Hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

It's true. Zeppelin stole tons of stuff. They pillaged Willie Dixon's entire catalogue. The guitar part in You're Time is Gonna Come is taken straight from Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy." Robert Plant even apparently took this shirt from a little girl for the famous The Song Remains the Same performances...

post-3254-0-61990600-1402929287_thumb.jpg

Surprised that no one has mentioned the incredible influence the Four Freshman, Lulu, and Bobby Vinton had on Zeppelin's early work.

Everyone steals. The Willie Dixon credit is for the lyrics (and not even all of them) on Whole Lotta Love. Not the riff. They did not steal the "song".

Whats next someone is going to say Devo didn't write Satisfaction?