Pennington - Torn Rotator Cuff -

Tom

CHAD NEEDS SURGERY FOR TORN ROTATOR CUFF

CHAD NEEDS SURGERY FOR TORN ROTATOR CUFF

By MARK CANNIZZARO

PHOTO CHAD PENNINGTON

January 24, 2005 --

PITTSBURGH — It turns out the injury to Chad Pennington's right shoulder was more serious than the team initially realized, according to NFL sources.

It was expected all along since the Jets' season came to an end last weekend in Pittsburgh that Pennington would have offseason surgery. His injury had been diagnosed as a "strained rotator cuff.

An MRI within the last couple of days, however, showed much more damage than a mere strain. According to two sources familiar with the situation, Pennington will soon have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and a tear in his labrum.

Now, instead of a quick surgery to clean things up, it's unclear how long that'll keep Pennington from throwing.

Neither Pennington, who completed 242-of-370 passes with 16 TDs, 9 INTs and a 91.0 rating, nor Herman Edwards was available for comment last night.

Pennington was injured in the first quarter of a 22-17 loss to Buffalo on Nov. 7 when he scrambled up the middle for a 12-yard gain and fell hard on it.

After missing three games, Pennington played out the rest of the season with Edwards acknowledging he was never 100 percent.

After Pennington returned from his three-game hiatus on Dec. 5 against Houston, the Jets finished 2-3 in its final five games.

Rotator Cuff Surgery Info

Update from Jest board:

InChadWeTrust10

Posted: Jan 24 2005, 07:40 AM

Report PostQuote Post

Veteran

Group: Members

Member No.: 2046

I had that EXACT same injury!

I tore my rotator cuff and my labrum while weight lifting preparing for wrestling my senior year of highschool. I never got the shoulder looked fearing the worst because I already had a baseball scholarship in place to go to FDU and I didn't want to jeopardize my senior season of baseball.

Long story short I went the entire wrestling season, baseball season, summer leading up to college, and my freshman year of college baseball with this injury. I was in excruciating pain every single time I had to throw a baseball.

I had 6.5 hour reconstructive shoulder surgery after my freshman year of baseball (performed by Dr.Savatski up in Bergen County; I wouldn't be surprised if Chad goes to him also). My arm was in a sling and velcroed to my stomach for 6 weeks. Then after I started rehabbing.

The surgery was a major success because I can do virtually everything I could before; including lift weights. There's only one thing I can't do like I used to ... ... ... THROW!!!!!

Granted I won't have the training staff & medical attention he will. Nor did I follow my rehab regime the way Chad will but to this day, throwing a football, baseball or anything does hurt a lot while doing it ... but I'm in agony the next day.

Does this mean we should expect the worst? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I just know that me personally; if my arm is 70% of what it used to be I'd be shocked! sad.gif