Scott get's quoted again on NFL.com

People are bored right now, and it's become popular to second guess the Bills trade for Watkins. Let's see how it plays out. The line needs to give EJ time to choose which of his talented players (Woods, Watkins, Williams, CJ, or a tight end) is most open, and toss the ball to him. We got the goods. Let's make it happen.

I never agreed with the idea the Watkins deal was a desperation move born out of fear. I see it more as a move born out of new found freedom.

In theory I agree that the Bills roster is better filled out than it has been in quite some time, but in reality we were 6-10 last year (and the year before and the year before) and haven't made the playoffs in 14 seasons!! How does that equal freedom in any way?

As an aside, I'm fine with the pick, and while a little stung over the price, I don't think it's as big of a deal as poeple make it out to be. I just don't understand your reasoning.

Edited by Acantha

I've yet to see a national journalist say it was a good trade. All involved agree Watkins is a great prospect, but, besides this board, vast majority of opinions are the Bills paid too much. In the end, it has to play out before it can be properly judged, but right now, I think it's fair to say, they paid too much. It would have been the same had the Patriots drafted Brady in 1st round, bad pick at the time, but in the end it would have worked out. I think we should accept those two facts, i.e. right now, it looks like the Bills paid too much, but, we won't know for a year or two.

In theory I agree that the Bills roster is better filled out than it has been in quite some time, but in reality we were 6-10 last year (and the year before and the year before) and haven't made the playoffs in 14 seasons!! How does that equal freedom in any way?

As an aside, I'm fine with the pick, and while a little stung over the price, I don't think it's as big of a deal as poeple make it out to be. I just don't understand your reasoning.

I don't feel the price (1 first round draft pick) is overpaying. If, and I mean IF, he turns out ot be as good as some are saying then it would be a great pick. One of our other members asked if we would swap picks and give up a first for Larry Fitzgerald....my answer is a resounding YES. Watkins has a lot to live up to in order to be mentioned in the same breath a Fitzgerald, but he was just as highly touted coming out of Pitt.

Time will tell...

GO BILLS

Freedom as in Russ Brandon will never have more leeway than he does now, and by extension, Doug Whaley. They don't have to get the okay from Ralph. They can just do it.

You can't worry about new owners because they can make the playoffs and still get replaced.

Freedom as in Russ Brandon will never have more leeway than he does now, and by extension, Doug Whaley. They don't have to get the okay from Ralph. They can just do it.

You can't worry about new owners because they can make the playoffs and still get replaced.

Ah, I see. I took it a different way. Nevermind :)

I never agreed with the idea the Watkins deal was a desperation move born out of fear. I see it more as a move born out of new found freedom.

Agreed. Russ' quote was something to that effect. It's a results-oriented business. Their jobs are always on the line, stable ownership or not.

The Bills traded two #1 picks and more for Bennett (1988 and 1988).

They traded in 1998 with Jax to get Rob Johnson - and that cost them the 1st rounder in 1998.

Who can forget the deal with Dullass in 2004 for their 22nd pick in round one when we got Losman for the Bills 2005 first round pick?

Sometimes you have to swing for the fences if you want to hit a home run. Of course bunting is always an option and one that ironically many who are "tired of umpteen losing seasons" espouse.

It's more than past time that The Bills had some serious star power on the squad. Welcome Sammy. We're looking forward to your stunning success in Buffalo.

The Bills traded two #1 picks and more for Bennett (1988 and 1988).

They traded in 1998 with Jax to get Rob Johnson - and that cost them the 1st rounder in 1998.

Who can forget the deal with Dullass in 2004 for their 22nd pick in round one when we got Losman for the Bills 2005 first round pick?

Sometimes you have to swing for the fences if you want to hit a home run. Of course bunting is always an option and one that ironically many who are "tired of umpteen losing seasons" espouse.

It's more than past time that The Bills had some serious star power on the squad. Welcome Sammy. We're looking forward to your stunning success in Buffalo.

This, this, and more this, everytime someone brings up Sammy costing too much. Any questions? Please direct it to the wall. /thread

I've yet to see a national journalist say it was a good trade. All involved agree Watkins is a great prospect, but, besides this board, vast majority of opinions are the Bills paid too much. In the end, it has to play out before it can be properly judged, but right now, I think it's fair to say, they paid too much. It would have been the same had the Patriots drafted Brady in 1st round, bad pick at the time, but in the end it would have worked out. I think we should accept those two facts, i.e. right now, it looks like the Bills paid too much, but, we won't know for a year or two.

Personally I do not worry, nor do I care what the national media says about the trade the Bills made in the draft. Although I am a bit surprised that not one person gives the Bills any credit for making such a move.

The Bills front office is doing everything they can to get the Bills back to the playoffs, and there are times when you have to make moves like this. Yes, it was a big price, but in the end they got a player with star potential, no one can deny that.

Let's face it, the national media continues to pile on the Bills, because they have been losers for more than a decade. Their attitude will not change towards the Bills, until they see winning.

Interestingly enough, I don't exactly recall the national media scorning the Redskins for giving up so many top draft picks when they traded to get Robert Griffin III.

Edited by Mark Vader

If Watkins go bust history will say it was a desperation move. If he is a perennial all-pro it will be a brilliant move made to propel the franchise forward. In other words nothing new about this trade.

I'm 100% on board with a win-now philosophy, regardless of the motivations for it.

not just for you but everyone...

If that includes a * at some point? If its selling our soul... bountygate, spygate, Watergate, pasture gate, propagate?

Is there anything between a tape measure HR and a bunt? Because I'd take a ground rule double out of this team rather than banking on the cleanup hitter popping one into the bleachers in the bottom of the 9th.

It's like going to the craps table with $50 left and throwing it down hoping to make enough to pay the mortgage. There are calculated risks and then there are bad ones.