3 or possibly 4 stadium sites will be presented by 7/11

Better be good options because the Fan Alliance spokesperson was just on WGR55 and said he's 65/35 the Bills stay and that Toronto will be putting in an "aggressive bid that includes a stadium." Not sure if they put their audio online so I don't have the link.

In any case, this will be interesting on two fronts:

1. What the Wilson estate does with the bids and if they are looking at high bid only as the buyer or do they consider the local bid(s)

2. If they NFL agrees to the sale to Toronto interests, they're basically tell all non-major market cities, that once they need a new stadium, relocation of their franchise to the largest bidder/market is what matters to them and that history and culture of cities with longstanding pro football teams matter not.

I have a feeling the Toronto bid is as much about showing the NFL it's ready for a team as it is about wanting the Bills. Absent the Bills moving there, they want an expansion team or another relocation. Putting in a major comprehensive bid with a stadium shows the NFL they're legit. And as I've said here before, a team in Toronto helps the Bills.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better be good options because the Fan Alliance spokesperson was just on WGR55 and said he's 65/35 the Bills stay and that Toronto will be putting in an "aggressive bid that includes a stadium." Not sure if they put their audio online so I don't have the link.

1. What the Wilson estate does with the bids and if they are looking at high bid only as the buyer or do they consider the local bid(s)

2. If they NFL agrees to the sale to Toronto interests, they're basically tell all non-major market cities, that once they need a new stadium, relocation of their franchise to the largest bidder/market is what matters to them and that history and culture of cities with longstanding pro football teams matter not.

I have a feeling the Toronto bid is as much about showing the NFL it's ready for a team as it is about wanting the Bills. Absent the Bills moving there, they want an expansion team or another relocation. Putting in a major comprehensive bid with a stadium shows the NFL they're legit. And as I've said here before, a team in Toronto helps the Bills.

Toronto has always scared me, however, I don't see the energy right now to move team or sell to group that might move team. Toronto, has to realize, this is their shot, and I suspect they will be "all in" on their bid. If they don't get the Bills it's highly unlikely they get a franchise, since Bills would argue it's part of their protected territory. It would be like putting a team in OKC, Portland or Columbus --- too close to existing NFL markets that depend on pulling support.

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't lived in WNY for many years and when I did I seldom was in Buffalo proper.

Is there any way that the facade of the train terminal could fit as an entrance to a new stadium? That is such a beautiful building it would be wonderful to see it re-purposed.

The train terminal site has been mentioned as a location to be considered. As with every prospective site there are liabilities associated to the location regarding space, infrastructure and ingress and egress issues. There is no perfect location.

Although the cheapest approach is to thoroughly remodel the current stadium, as it was done in KC, there is a major problem with that strategy. How can you justify spending $400-500 M for an upgrade when the facility is going to be used for less then a dozen times a year? It seems that a consensus is building for a multi-puropose facility that will cost in the range of $! Billion and will be located in an area that will have spill-over economic effect for the downtown area. The model that keeps getting mentioned is Indianapolis.

One of the most developed proposals argues for an outer harbor location.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/New-Proposal-Unveiled-for-Bills-Waterfront-Stadium-259154161.html

Edited by JohnC

The train terminal site has been mentioned as a location to be considered. As with every prospective site there are liabilities associated to the location regarding space, infrastructure and ingress and egress issues. There is no perfect location.

Although the cheapest approach is to thoroughly remodel the current stadium, as it was done in KC, there is a major problem with that strategy. How can you justify spending $400-500 M for an upgrade when the facility is going to be used for less then a dozen times a year? It seems that a consensus is building for a multi-puropose facility that will cost in the range of $! Billion and will be located in an area that will have spill-over economic effect for the downtown area. The model that keeps getting mentioned is Indianapolis.

http://www.wkbw.com/...-259154161.html

Looking at the images, I agree with how they are using the space provided. The biggest problem I see is traffic but that will likely be addressed if that was where they put the stadium.

Buffalo+Sportz.jpg

15768672_WEB_BF_Buffalo_Sportz_Corridor90dfc996-d105-4297-9ae0-7a237079e6d3.jpg

I think the new stadium should be named Kelly Stadium

thoughts?

CBF

The new stadium's naming rights should be sold. The money accrued should be used to help retire the stadium bonds. There are plenty of ways to honor Kelly. Naming the stadium after him is not the right approach to take.

Toronto has always scared me, however, I don't see the energy right now to move team or sell to group that might move team. Toronto, has to realize, this is their shot, and I suspect they will be "all in" on their bid. If they don't get the Bills it's highly unlikely they get a franchise, since Bills would argue it's part of their protected territory. It would be like putting a team in OKC, Portland or Columbus --- too close to existing NFL markets that depend on pulling support.

I go back and forth on this.

Whether the Bills/NFL admit it or not, Buffalo is not capturing the Toronto market. Generally, Ontario Bills fans are all over Southern Ontario and dig the tailgating aspect as well as the cheap shopping over the weekend.

Toronto would draw from that gawdy population there. It would probably be more of a casual crowd and them and the NFL would probably really try to covet the numerous cultures that exist in Toronto as well as corporate buyers who arent interested in Buffalo. NFL would gain popularity in the region, and there would be a large counter-fan group who would reject the Toronto team and its environment/pricing, and still/start to support the Bills.

They say that 18% of the ticket buyers are currently from Ontario/Canada. Thats roughly 90,000 seats. I think they could easily keep up with that figure with a Toronto team. Especially if they are in the same Division. We also havent seen any sort of decent team/bandwagon effect here since the NFL went over the top in popularity and the Bills really started to regionalize.

How many people do you suppose are looking to buy some run down, boarded up house with a big lot in the Lackawana/Buffalo area to make a private parking lot?? Haven't been down in that area for a long time but there have to be a few of those places within a 1/2 to mile walk. Hammer?? Have you driven down to scope out a few places??

Why does it seem most assume a WNY-centered buyer wouldn't be the highest bidder? That is a distinct possibility.

http://www.wkbw.com/...-259154161.html

I think what we see, eventually, is a stadium downtown, but a stadium that is part of a retail/entertainment district, w/a convention center hotel complex. I think if the state is kicking in money that will be a part of it. It would be easier to sell the public on taxes for an entire development than a stadium by itself. I think most would want to see downtown B-Lo continue to become a viable place. The days of putting everything in the suburbs is over. Nationally, downtown/urban development is becoming important.

Kelly Island could be interesting,

1. It's walkable across the bridge to Sabres parking.

2. People could boat to the game.

3. The metro ends there.

4. My favorite reason, it demos up all those old eye sore crappy silos.

5. Sure A few bridges would need to be built to connect to Ohio st and also Rt 5.

6. Gives Buffalo a waterfront stadium

7. Seen as a positive to the Riverbend project.

Kelly Island could be interesting,

1. It's walkable across the bridge to Sabres parking.

2. People could boat to the game.

3. The metro ends there.

4. My favorite reason, it demos up all those old eye sore crappy silos.

5. Sure A few bridges would need to be built to connect to Ohio st and also Rt 5.

6. Gives Buffalo a waterfront stadium

7. Seen as a positive to the Riverbend project.

8. Every Sunday we could take a THREE HOUR CRUISE!

A couple months ago I would have put our chances at about 20/80 but circumstances since that time have swung the odds in our favor, maybe something like 60/40. Solid plans for a new stadium blessed by the league would more or less lock the deal.

I am less concerned with a possible relocation of the team given the activity around a new stadium and some sound bytes out of the league meetings from a large enough group of team owners (given a new facility) supporting the idea to keep the team in Buffalo. Still who knows until it all plays out?

Perhaps the biggest and most under appreciated advantage against relocation is the political clout in both Albany and Washington. Unfortunately for Toronto, the city, provincal, and federal governments have more or less zero power in this area.

How the trust evaluates and determines which bid to accepted is another black box with the other factor being the league owners must approve the deal and a new owner.

Teams generally move for 1 of 2 reasons. Old, outdated facilities or a lack of fan support. The first is being addressed and the later was never an issue. Given a proposal for a new facility along with a large and loyal core of fan support most owners would find it diffuclt to vote for a relocation just to pursue additional revenue.

My vote would be for a downtown facility but that's without any of the details that I expect the search committee gather and review.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Central Terminal is intriguing, incoorperated major convention centre, have train and metro stations underneath, upgrade infrastructure, add hotels, and offices and that area will be booming.

Then again a similar event location (add music halls, shopping malls, nightlife as well) that would be max 2 hours (ideally 1.5 hours but that isnt feasable I think) drive from Rochester, Buffalo and Toronto might make the most economical sense (basicly building a business and entertainment city surrounding the stadium).

Edited by bladiebla

How the trust evaluates and determines which bid to accepted is another black box with the other factor being the league owners must approve the deal and a new owner.

Agreed, but consider this. Would Ralph appoint his wife and niece to the trust and then set them up as bad guys by directing them to base their decision solely on high bid? That is/was not Ralph's style.

I suspect he directed the trust to seek market value with preference to an owner who is willing to keep the team in WNY. This aligns with the restrictive lease he signed. Thank you Mr. Wilson!

Agreed, but consider this. Would Ralph appoint his wife and niece to the trust and then set them up as bad guys by directing them to base their decision solely on high bid? That is/was not Ralph's style.

I suspect he directed the trust to seek market value with preference to an owner who is willing to keep the team in WNY. This aligns with the restrictive lease he signed. Thank you Mr. Wilson!

Wasnt there a provision in the lease that prohibited the sale to a group of buyers that had the intention of moving the team?

Edited by jo39416

Central Terminal is intriguing, incoorperated major convention centre, have train and metro stations underneath, upgrade infrastructure, add hotels, and offices and that area will be booming.

Then again a similar event location (add music halls, shopping malls, nightlife as well) that would be max 2 hours (ideally 1.5 hours but that isnt feasable I think) drive from Rochester, Buffalo and Toronto might make the most economical sense (basicly building a business and entertainment city surrounding the stadium).

Central Terminal neighborhood is awful. It would be a mistake putting it in a place with nothing there now. The stadium needs to be part of a burgeoning area like Canalside.

Exciting time for Buffalo. I hope people appreciate this once-in-a-couple-generations opportunity, and that the decision-makers don't screw this up. Unless NFL promises a Super Bowl for a Niagara Falls stadium, can't see how downtown area isn't best location.