Bush league play by Belichick

The Pats were up by 2 scores with 2:30 left and facing a 3rd and 9. You think a run play is bush league? Putting the ball in the hands of a play maker is bush league? Not calling a pass play which has the potential to get picked off and run back for a TD is bush league? Wow. Are you new fan to the sport of football?

216516[/snapback]

It wasn't a running play, it was an end-around. There's a difference. An end-around is just like a reverse, but without the QB giving it to the runner in the initial direction of the play. Both plays are designed to trick the defense and make them change direction.

So, let's say NE runs the ball, doesn't get the first down, Pitt calls timeout, then Vinatieri misses a FG. There's still under 2:30 left for Pittsburgh to go 60 yards (at least) for a score, then recover an onsides kick and try to score again - all with 1 timeout left (remember, they lost an earlier challenge). Do you think that would have happened? I don't....not against this defense. The late TD scored by Pitt last night was in garbage time, so don't assume they'd score just because of that.

I'm looking at the intangibles here...I really don't think NE would have given up two scores they way they were going. Still a possibility and we've seen other miracles happen, but I'd put my money on Vinatieri making a FG and even more on NE stifling Pittsburgh again if he had missed.

And FYI, I've been watching football for over 25 years. Don't think that I didn't consider all the possibilities.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I despise the Paytoilets and all they have accomplished, this discussion is without merit.

A month ago, Brady threw away a game, that was firmly within control, by throwing 2 picks and the defense allowed Miami to score twice -- IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES.

As has been said by others already, you play to win. We can have this discussion when the Paytoilets are up by 34 on the Iggles and call the same play.

BTW, by your definition of trick play, it would seem that every play is a trick play. Are you not supposed to make the defense think you're going to run one play while executing something else. Is that not proper gameplanning and scouting on tendencies? Hmmm?

I'm looking at the intangibles here...I really don't think NE would have given up two scores they way they were going. Still a possibility and we've seen other miracles happen, but I'd put my money on Vinatieri making a FG and even more on NE stifling Pittsburgh again if he had missed.

And FYI, I've been watching football for over 25 years. Don't think that I didn't consider all the possibilities.

216552[/snapback]

You've been watching football for over 25 years and you think the first paragraph above is a justifiable risk to take rather than do all you can to get the first down and ice the game. :lol:

So the Pats should have figured, "odds are we're not gonna lose, so lets shut it down for the week, we don't want to rub it in, lets try to win nice." :D

Impressive logic! 25 years huh?

How is an end around a trick play??? Is a counter a trick play, I mean blockers go one way and the ball carrier goes another.

This entire discussion seems to say that no team has EVER scored 2 times in 2 minutes. Are you seriously saying that maybe the ball carrier should have fallen down short of the goal line so as to not run up the score.

I seriously have to question the football knowledge of anyone who thinks trying to get a first down in a championship game, with a 2 score lead is bush league.

216535[/snapback]

Well, that's not the point of my argument. Yes - I agree with putting the game away and not sitting on a 2-score lead. My thinking was based how the Patriots' defense would *most likely* not give up 2 touchdowns in the final 2:30. I'd expect THIS team (not just any team in this situation - we know the Patriots) in a championship game to do just that.

Maybe "bush league" was too harsh. As I said in the beginning, it's probably just sour grapes and I wanted something to gripe about since I can't stand NE and the love-fest for them anymore. Belichick has pulled some unclassy moves in the past (dumping the Jets, Milloy), but this is the only time I've questioned his coaching - and it was just one play.

Look - I've been around football a long time. I don't mean to suggest that putting the game away isn't the right thing to do. The play obviously worked and Belichick is a Superbowl coach agan. I don't mind people disagreeing with me (I wouldn't have posted, otherwise), so we'll just leave it at that.

Are you kidding me? You do everything in your power to win a game. Ever see a team score 2 TDs in three minutes? I have. It was a great call--you do not play like a wuss towards the end of the game. Remeber it is Pittsburgh's responsibility to stop New England--it is not New Englands responsibility to stop themselves. If they were up by 28 points at the time it is different. 2 TDs is not that much with 5-6 minutes remaining. Bottom line: Great, great call!

It's the AFC Championship game. You do everything in your power to take even the slimmest possibility of a comeback. 2 touchdowns in 2+ minutes is not unheard of, even when a team has done nothing the entire game.

Well, that's not the point of my argument. Yes - I agree with putting the game away and not sitting on a 2-score lead. My thinking was based how the Patriots' defense would *most likely* not give up 2 touchdowns in the final 2:30. I'd expect THIS team (not just any team in this situation - we know the Patriots) in a championship game to do just that.

216599[/snapback]

When the Steelers scored a quick TD when they got the ball back didn't that kind of put a hole in your theory? You and JP-era should talk sports sometime. I think you guys would get along great. A couple of experts.

BTW, by your definition of trick play, it would seem that every play is a trick play.  Are you not supposed to make the defense think you're going to run one play while executing something else.  Is that not proper gameplanning and scouting on tendencies?  Hmmm?

216592[/snapback]

I think you guys know what I mean. I think an end-around is a little more "tricky" than most plays, but obviously, that's just me....

Nonetheless, my original question has been answered.

New England is a dirty team who doesn't respect anyone (even their own players). Doesn't surprise me that they iced their field in order to beat the Colts (they only way they could). Doesn't surprise me that when they beat a Rookie Quarterback, they rub it in. They have no class.

When you're stepping on your opponent's neck, it's rarely the wrong move to use the other foot to stomp his chest.

Sorry, but I've seen teams lose when they're up 14 with 2.5 to play. It's never the wrong move to finish a game off. If Pittsburgh's number 1 defense didn't like it, they should have stopped it.

The Pats are a classy team -- they don't run the score up.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, or I would've spit it out all over my monitor.

They don't run the score up? So when they score a TD with no time left on the clock and the defense walks off the field in protest of two TERRIBLE calls that give them the game, they don't go for 2-points instead of the PAT? Sorry, the Pats aren't classy. They may be good, but they're not classy and they DO run up the score.

That said, I didn't see that big a problem on that play. Looked to me like the Steelers didn't even try tackling the guy.

CW

I'm not sure why this was considered a trick play. Did I miss something. Everyone shifted to the right and that was that. Too many offensive blockers, not enough Steelers. And he RAN the ball. It's not like they threw it into the endzone.

I would want our coach to do the same damn thing. I hope someday he can.

The Patriot envy on this board is at once depressing/embarassing/humourous! Did anyone in who agrees with the original poster, that this was a "bush leauge" play, think our own beloved Bills were being "bush leauge" when they were blowing teams out for 6 or 7 weeks? Get over it!

No way!  I seem to remember an AFC Championship game in which a certain team won 51- 3 and we would pounded our chests even more had Marv and company put up another 7 that day!

216893[/snapback]

We also only scored 10 points in the second half... Levy pulled most of the starters.

CW