• Sammy Watkins
    • Khalil Mack
    • Jake Matthews
    • Mike Evans
    • Justin Gilbert
    • Anthony Barr
    • Eric Ebron
    • Other (someone outside top 10)

I think we all got our mike williams mixed up. Lol the bills tackle mike williams was drafted 4th and the lions WR mike williams was drafted 10th and our current wr was drafted in the 4th round pick 101

Number four is the Mike!

See what I did there.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that my point is that the bust rate of small school guys intuitively is less than that I large school guys (at least early in the draft). They have to overcome so much more scrutiny to get picked there. Scouting today is so advanced because of technology that there are less and less busts. You can pull up Mack and say "I want to see every play that he was double teamed on 3rd & 5 or longer" and immediately see it all. That is just an example but there is less left to chance.

Agree on Barr as he was my vote. I am scared by guys with lots of natural talent but inconsistent production. I hated Mingo last year (he actually exceeded my expectations).

Very true, but that technology / scrutiny is there for all players. It goes back to my point when we first started this back and forth, his level of competition scares me a bit. You see a guy dominate a bunch of players that will never see an NFL field except for a select few (MAC) or you see a guy dominate a bunch of players who will be in the NFL (SEC), you tell me who you think is going to be the "safer" pick and who has more "bust" potential. Mack's performance / numbers / level of dominance were impressive, very impressive, but it was against who it was against.

Very true, but that technology / scrutiny is there for all players. It goes back to my point when we first started this back and forth, his level of competition scares me a bit. You see a guy dominate a bunch of players that will never see an NFL field except for a select few (MAC) or you see a guy dominate a bunch of players who will be in the NFL (SEC), you tell me who you think is going to be the "safer" pick and who has more "bust" potential. Mack's performance / numbers / level of dominance were impressive, very impressive, but it was against who it was against.

How were Mack's numbers when UB was trying to win a conference championship and playing in a Bowl game?

Mack had an awesome game against Ohio State in basically a pre season game for Ohio State but disappeared down the stretch when UB needed him most.

That scares the Bee Jee Bees out of me if I'm an NFL GM. No way I touch him with a Top 10 pick.

I voted Ebron. But, my top 3 for busts in no order are Ebron, Clowney and Bortles. I do not think any will be busts for sure (as none of us do), but, I think they have the best odds of not living up to expectations.

I am an Ohio State fan and the two best players that they played all last year (by miles) were Mack and Watkins. Mack completely dismantled a really good Buckeye offense. He had a sack (and I believe a forced fumble) called back. He would have finished with 3 1/2 sacks, a FF, 1 INT and a TD. He was heads and shoulders the best player on the field.

To your point, I think that Clowney is much more likely to bust than Mack. Clowney has as much natural ability as just about anyone ever but he has a propensity to get winded and takes plays off. While he played against top competition all of he time his performance last year was lackluster at best.

Competition has nothing to do with bust potential to me. Busts either have holes in their games that eventually get exposed or a weak mental makeup. By all accounts he has neither of those (same for Watkins and Mathews). You can find something in just about any other top 10 pick though. Robinson is raw in pass protection, Evans has struggled with press coverage, Bortles is a raw prospect, Gilbert can't support the run, Ebron's production doesn't match his athleticism and Barr is a 1 trick pony at this point.

Yikes, that's bad. If you would have said to me "who is Quentin Coryatt?" I would have had no clue until 1 minute ago. A number 2 overall pick! Bust on 1 and 2, no wonder the Colts were so bad for so long.

No doubt- Dave Klingler, Tommy Maddox....even Desmond Howard didn't do much other than return kicks (for such a high pick)

How were Mack's numbers when UB was trying to win a conference championship and playing in a Bowl game?

Mack had an awesome game against Ohio State in basically a pre season game for Ohio State but disappeared down the stretch when UB needed him most.

That scares the Bee Jee Bees out of me if I'm an NFL GM. No way I touch him with a Top 10 pick.

No preseason games in CFB, esp. in BCS era.Need to win in grand fashion every week regardless of opponent to impress pollsters. Urban was going for 2 in the first quarter in that game.

Yikes, that's bad. If you would have said to me "who is Quentin Coryatt?" I would have had no clue until 1 minute ago. A number 2 overall pick! Bust on 1 and 2, no wonder the Colts were so bad for so long.

Emtman & Coryatt were great prospects.

Injuries did Emtman in. Didn't he have 2 knee injuries in one year? Hardly his fault.

Coryatt just never lived up to expectations.

No doubt- Dave Klingler, Tommy Maddox....even Desmond Howard didn't do much other than return kicks (for such a high pick)

True.

Counterpoint: Rams got Sean Gilbert, Falcons got Bob Whitfield, Dolphins got Troy Vincent & Marco Coleman(WOW!), Raiders got Chester McGlockton, Cowboys got Robert Jones, and the Lions got Robert Porcher.

Some hit, some miss.

Agreed.

One year wonder. The Vikings had better have a plan.

The guy played LB for 2 years and put up 23.5 sacks and 41.4 tackles for a loss. How this equates to "one year wonder" is beyond me. Anthony Barr is going to take a few years to get his feet under him (at which point people will call him a bust) but in a few years that kid is going to be a monster.

I dont feel any will bust .

but i still would not have picked Ebron or Barr at nine.

But i cant discount their potential .

J Clowney is the biggest risk still for me.

Edited by 3rdand12

I have Greg Robinson as a LT, I don't see him fast enough out of his stance to pass block.

Also Barr. Actually had a low percentage of pass rush wins.

I believe I heard (no link) that Fisher said he is going to play Guard initially. As far as busting as an LT, that is possible, because at the moment he is a ridiculous run blocker but a raw pass blocker. Of course as you know his potential is through the roof but at this point it is just that, potential. Auburn ran a very run-focuses offense. What I like about Cyrus K. is that he is a pure RT in the NFL which is exactly what we need and while he is a better run blocker than pass protector at the moment, he is no stranger to having to protect a passing offense QB.

Robinson is a monster, he owned the stage when he was selected and looked the part. His combine #'s were off the chart for a guy his size, almost as freaky as Clowney. I could just imagine DE's saying "damn, I have to go up against that guy?" Contrast that to Matthews (hasn't even gotten a vote yet) who looked relatively small. Of the 2 I'd take Robinson over the supposedly "safe" pick in Matthews. Can get "safe" talent in lower rounds, Top 10 give me a guy with potential to dominate

In the top 10 I want both. I want a high floor and a high ceiling. That is why Watkins and Mack were my 2 favorite players in this draft. At their best they are elite players and at their worse they are good 10 year starters. I don't feel that way about any other top 10 pick. I think that Mathews is a lock to be a 10 year starter but his upside is limited to me. He has been bred to play that position; how much will he ever improve?