• Khalil Mack
    • Jake Matthews
    • Mike Evans
    • Justin Gilbert
    • Anthony Barr
    • Eric Ebron
    • Other (someone outside top 10)

Going with Bortles.

Didn't see him as a top 10 pick, and not even the best QB.

#3 overall will get a ton of attention, especially if it's a QB.

Adding insult to injury, when the inevitable reigns are handed to him from Henne, I think there will be a drop-off and fans will be saying they want Henne back.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going with Bortles.

Didn't see him as a top 10 pick, and not even the best QB.

#3 overall will get a ton of attention, especially if it's a QB.

Adding insult to injury, when the inevitable reigns are handed to him from Henne, I think there will be a drop-off and fans will be saying they want Henne back.

But we won't know if he is a bust until the end of 2015 at the earliest. The Jags have been very forthright that he is not going to play (I assume unless there is an injury to Henne) in 2014. Even then, it would probably be 2016 or later before he could be labeled as such. Edited by YoloinOhio

But we won't know if he is a bust until the end of 2015 at the earliest. The Jags have been very forthright that he is not going to play (I assume unless there is an injury to Henne) in 2014.

fair enough, I should have specified I meant from this year's draft, not known this year. Think of it from the perspective of about 5 years out.

**title changed to try and reflect that

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It's extremely unlikely to be Watkins, Mack or Mathews IMO. Those were the 3 safest players in the draft. When I think of bust players it is almost always someone with tons of upside but inconsistent (or limited) production. With that being said for me it is Barr or Bortles.

Noticeably absent from the list above is Randell Johnson......smart move. The kid is a stud. %Grrrrrrr

The only time bust is used in conjunction with Randall is when he busts through the other teams lousy attempt at blocking him. %BeastNotBust

It's extremely unlikely to be Watkins, Mack or Mathews IMO. Those were the 3 safest players in the draft. When I think of bust players it is almost always someone with tons of upside but inconsistent (or limited) production. With that being said for me it is Barr or Bortles.

Wasn't Aaron Curry and Mike Williams two of the "safest" players in their drafts as well? How did that go? Truthfully, I can sort of see Mack being a bit of a bust. Played pretty bad competition (including a very overrated Ohio State team last season). He didn't do anything against Baylor the next week who had a much better offense. I hope not, but I can see it.

Overall, I think it's Barr though, followed by Brandin Cooks.

Wasn't Aaron Curry and Mike Williams two of the "safest" players in their drafts as well? How did that go? Truthfully, I can sort of see Mack being a bit of a bust. Played pretty bad competition (including a very overrated Ohio State team last season). He didn't do anything against Baylor the next week who had a much better offense. I hope not, but I can see it.

Overall, I think it's Barr though, followed by Brandin Cooks.

Mike Williams was never considered safe because he was slow. That is why he almost fell out of the top 10. Aaron Curry is one random exception. Mack has off the charts measurables and years of consistent production. In addition, his game is extremely versatile. He can play in space, rush the passer and play the run. That typically translates. That is why he is viewed as so safe (same goes for the other 2).

The guys that bust are the guys that do one thing well or people become enamored with just their measurables. Barr is someone as an example that has some raw pass rush ability. He had a great year two years ago and regressed this year. He is a converted RB that no one has any idea if he can play the run or in coverage (despite his good athleticism).

Mike Williams was never considered safe because he was slow. That is why he almost fell out of the top 10. Aaron Curry is one random exception. Mack has off the charts measurables and years of consistent production. In addition, his game is extremely versatile. He can play in space, rush the passer and play the run. That typically translates. That is why he is viewed as so safe (same goes for the other 2).

The guys that bust are the guys that do one thing well or people become enamored with just their measurables. Barr is someone as an example that has some raw pass rush ability. He had a great year two years ago and regressed this year. He is a converted RB that no one has any idea if he can play the run or in coverage (despite his good athleticism).

We drafted Williams at number 4. How is that almost falling out of the top 10? You can also add Robert Gallery and Jason Smith as safe OTs drafted top 5 that busted.

I like Mack, don't get me wrong, I just really value the level of competition in determining how well they will adjust to the NFL and UB plays garbage teams all season long. Like I said, he was invisible versus the best offense they saw last year, Baylor, and that worries me a bit. Also Keith Rivers and Ernie Sims were seen as pretty safe as well, they'd both have to be seen as busts as of now (hopefully not for long for Rivers), so I don't think Curry is as rare of an exception as you believe.

Edited by Mark80

We drafted Williams at number 4. How is that almost falling out of the top 10?

I like Mack, don't get me wrong, I just really value the level of competition in determining how well they will adjust to the NFL and UB plays garbage teams all season long. Like I said, he was invisible versus the best offense they saw last year, Baylor, and that worries me a bit.

He was the 10th pick.

Level of competition is so overblown. Last year the first overall pick came from the Mac (but he struggled). Joe Staley, Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware, Big Ben, Vincent Jackson all went to small schools. There are a lot more than that. Everyone that UB played game planned to stop Mack because they had no one else.

He was the 10th pick.

Level of competition is so overblown. Last year the first overall pick came from the Mac (but he struggled). Joe Staley, Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware, Big Ben, Vincent Jackson all went to small schools. There are a lot more than that. Everyone that UB played game planned to stop Mack because they had no one else.

Mike williams was drafted at 4. 1. Carr 2. Peppers. 3. Harrington 4. Williams

He was the 10th pick.

Dude, what are you talking about? Mike Williams was drafted #4 overall in the 2002 draft. Look it up homey, you are utterly and unquestionably wrong.

And your list of a few good small school players? I can guarantee you that I can come up with a list of small school guys that put up huge numbers that didn't do anything in the NFL or even make the NFL at all. Hell, the best QB in the MAC last year got signed as a RB, a RB!!!

Edited by Mark80