Credit Suisse $2.6 billion felony tax evasion settlement

All senior managers get to keep their high paying jobs, and the individual benefactors of the evasion are still unknown.

wtf! Methinks some very high powered individuals in business and government cut a deal to let the bank execs stay on provided they didn't release the names on secret accounts.

"On Monday, Credit Suisse became the first major bank in 25 years to plead guilty to a felony in U.S. court. Unfortunately, they don’t yet make handcuffs that fit around a downtown New York City office building, and the executives who committed the felony, conspiring to assist in widespread tax evasion, either haven’t been charged or haven’t been extradited from Switzerland. And in addition, the other side of the tax evasion equation – the actual wealthy Americans who hid their money in private Credit Suisse accounts – aren’t that much closer to being exposed."

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/21/financial_criminals_cushy_life_how_credit_suisse_gamed_the_system/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

“It is a mystery to me why the U.S. government didn’t require as part of the agreement that the bank cough up some of the names of the U.S. clients with secret Swiss bank accounts,” said Sen. Levin in a statement. In 2009, Swiss bank UBS paid a $780 million fine over tax evasion and did reveal 4,700 account holder names. But in this case, Credit Suisse only had to agree to help with treaty requests and information on where accounts got transferred when the bank shut them down.

Really? It's a mystery why this Justice Department laid down for US citizens with Swiss bank accounts? Really? :lol:

Really? It's a mystery why this Justice Department laid down for US citizens with Swiss bank accounts? Really? :lol:

I think he means it's a mystery that we would let the Swiss enforce Swiss banking laws. :wacko:

I think he means it's a mystery that we would let the Swiss enforce Swiss banking laws. :wacko:

So you don't think US could have exerted more pressure like threatening to revoke CS banking license in US? Or sanctioning the 8 identified European bankers, freezing their US assets, and imposing travel bans? You think we pushed all the levers we could and the outcome had nothing to do with the undisclosed names on those accounts?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So you don't think US could have exerted more pressure like threatening to revoke CS banking license in US? Or sanctioning the 8 identified European bankers, freezing their US assets, and imposing travel bans?

Not without getting all the last-minute campaign donations in first.

Not without getting all the last-minute campaign donations in first.

Im guessing neither side went there due to the "mutual assured destruction" element:

- Swiss didn't want to pierce their anonymous-account money machine;

- US didn't want top business people and politicians implicated. Can you imagine if Warren Buffet or a super-rich politician like Kerry (thru his wife) were on there? Or as you say a campaign donor like Sheldon Adelson, or Soros?

Both countries and both political parties had huge incentive to keep names on that list secret

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

A bit different treatment for the guilty in financial fraud cases in Iran

Iran billionaire executed over $2.6B bank fraud

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — A billionaire businessman at the heart of a $2.6 billion state bank scam in Iran, the largest fraud case since the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution, was executed Saturday, state television reported.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/24/iran-billionaire-executed-over-26b-bank-fraud/9535639/

A bit different treatment for the guilty in financial fraud cases in Iran

Iran billionaire executed over $2.6B bank fraud

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — A billionaire businessman at the heart of a $2.6 billion state bank scam in Iran, the largest fraud case since the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution, was executed Saturday, state television reported.

http://www.usatoday....-fraud/9535639/

So in general, are you in favor of or opposed to the death penalty?

If in favor of, do financial crimes justify capital punishment?

All senior managers get to keep their high paying jobs, and the individual benefactors of the evasion are still unknown.

wtf! Methinks some very high powered individuals in business and government cut a deal to let the bank execs stay on provided they didn't release the names on secret accounts.

"On Monday, Credit Suisse became the first major bank in 25 years to plead guilty to a felony in U.S. court. Unfortunately, they don’t yet make handcuffs that fit around a downtown New York City office building, and the executives who committed the felony, conspiring to assist in widespread tax evasion, either haven’t been charged or haven’t been extradited from Switzerland. And in addition, the other side of the tax evasion equation – the actual wealthy Americans who hid their money in private Credit Suisse accounts – aren’t that much closer to being exposed."

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/21/financial_criminals_cushy_life_how_credit_suisse_gamed_the_system/

Question for Tea Party Conservatives. Do you guys even consider tax evasion a crime?

Remember the outcry from the Anti-Death Penalty crowd back when they executed McVey?

Yeah, neither do I

You are an intelligence vacuum. Nothing there at all.

You are an intelligence vacuum. Nothing there at all.

Okay Gatortard, I propose a challenge

I will give you a riddle with 3 clues.

You cannot post on TSW until the riddle is solved

If you solve the riddle, I will cede your intellectual superiority and never post here again

Clue #1 AES

Clue #2 256

Clue #3 KIEpUAddtnasSzOXKfTf2OJD7Uhnev2/8viVkn4q4DlErTprBfexWVpDQxyFEqt5eTUywRmCqxb0ZTE16p/LoHSKMsJjyo29L//jqdPY2DyMyrUlEexDnLkHE6FVW+uQMCT/yQGleX0aGz/7vOz44PYhqZ3/3zEZQ8eAcqm8tNmq/AoD1jWOc11BJNSB8Uzvx2oUxWqBcmKfWKhjIBOGBmNsRjbIEb9/ml801j4rLz7OtxZkg5YzB9agWd6TWjLF

Go!

Okay Gatortard, I propose a challenge

I will give you a riddle with 3 clues.

You cannot post on TSW until the riddle is solved

If you solve the riddle, I will cede your intellectual superiority and never post here again

Clue #1 AES

Clue #2 256

Clue #3 KIEpUAddtnasSzOXKfTf2OJD7Uhnev2/8viVkn4q4DlErTprBfexWVpDQxyFEqt5eTUywRmCqxb0ZTE16p/LoHSKMsJjyo29L//jqdPY2DyMyrUlEexDnLkHE6FVW+uQMCT/yQGleX0aGz/7vOz44PYhqZ3/3zEZQ8eAcqm8tNmq/AoD1jWOc11BJNSB8Uzvx2oUxWqBcmKfWKhjIBOGBmNsRjbIEb9/ml801j4rLz7OtxZkg5YzB9agWd6TWjLF

Go!

You've been away from this site for a while so you are forgiven but there is only one riddler allowed to post here and it will take more than the above to take the title away from him.

You've been away from this site for a while so you are forgiven but there is only one riddler allowed to post here and it will take more than the above to take the title away from him.

I'd like to see the TSW Riddler crack AES

Edited by /dev/null