Lawsuit by ex- players against NFL

ALF

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During Jim Kelly's short career as a color man, an injured player was taken into the locker room, the play by play announced that he was going into be taped up. Kelly laughed and said "that's what you think they do?".

I'm sure the NFL was really forcing it on them

This is just as ridiculous as the concussion lawsuit which numerous players joined just to get their name mentioned and to try and cash out.

Gary Cobb is a former LB who now works in radio in Philly and is running for some type of office. When he joined the lawsuit he said he suffered from memory loss but when questioned by his competitor about how he would handle office with his condition he said he doesn't have a condition or suffer from memory loss. He back peddled by saying he at times suffered memory loss but doesn't anymore

How ridiculous is that

Edited by Max997

I'm sure the NFL was really forcing it on them

This is just as ridiculous as the concussion lawsuit which numerous players joined just to get their name mentioned and to try and cash out.

Gary Cobb is a former LB who now works in radio in Philly and is running for some type of office. When he joined the lawsuit he said he suffered from memory loss but when questioned by his competitor about how he would handle office with his condition he said he doesn't have a condition or suffer from memory loss. He back peddled by saying he at times suffered memory loss but doesn't anymore

How ridiculous is that

Maybe the Gary Cobb story is a one of a kind story, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that teams were doing everything they could to keep their top players on the field as much as possible. wouldn't shock me in the least that this was going on.

Bunch of crap. These guys did whatever they could to get on the field and play because they were more scared of losing their jobs. Mike Golic and his brother Bob confirmed that, and they were pluggers and not the stars of the league like some of these guys. Now if the NFL hid info about injuries, that's another story.

I believe he went through re-hab.

I believe it was an SI piece that detailed Favre's use. There was a particularly memorable quote if I remember correctly where Favre explained he took 20 or so pills, subsequently vomited, and then went through said vomit to pick out the pills and retake them. Crazy stuff.

And this is where the NFL is liable. I understand it is the nature of the game, but they are still liable for this fear.

I disagree. Most people in high profile jobs are afraid of losing their jobs and do what they have to to keep from being replaced.

I disagree. Most people in high profile jobs are afraid of losing their jobs and do what they have to to keep from being replaced.

So here's my question. Where does the blame fall? With the player who doesn't want to miss time for an injury, or the team, who knows this is the case, and also at the same time doesn't want to have their best players sitting out due to injuries? I feel that there has to be a responsibility somewhere in the middle.

So here's my question. Where does the blame fall? With the player who doesn't want to miss time for an injury, or the team, who knows this is the case, and also at the same time doesn't want to have their best players sitting out due to injuries? I feel that there has to be a responsibility somewhere in the middle.

One of the 8 players suing is former Bill WR J.D. Hill. Saw him interviewed on CNN. He said he became addicted to pain killers that the team gave him and it took him years to beat the addiction.

I disagree, I put most of the blame on the teams. The one quote that stood out to me was the "I would come in and they would have a cup with my name on it"

The NFL between this lawsuit and the concussion lawsuit is in a crap ton of trouble IMO.

I would be willing to bet the painkilles players take are even more powerful, higher QTY and dosage then what it was 10-15 years ago.

I guess what I don't understand is it's not that they took them they are complaining that they did not understand the consequences. Certainly in the 80's and 90's it was well known that they were addictive and had other side effects.

If they had perscriptions they came with a printout that listed them. But if the team gave the pills out, not so much. But that kinda implies that the team gave them out every 6 hours or by the handful.

I guess back then it would not surprise me. (North Dallas Forty)