I thought the NFL cap was a perfect system

Like A Mofo

New England has now been to 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

Philadelphia made the Final 4 three times and now in this year's Super Bowl.

Some of the SAME teams are getting this far. (And I stress SOME)

I thought this wasnt supposed to happen in the NFL??? I thought the cap was a PERFECT system to rid of seeing the same teams over a 3-4 year period...

Intere$ting....

I thought this wasnt supposed to happen in the NFL???  I thought the cap was a PERFECT system to rid of seeing the same teams over a 3-4 year period...

Intere$ting....

216431[/snapback]

Some teams are just better managed than others. Unfortunately, ours isn't one of them.

Some teams are just better managed than others. Unfortunately, ours isn't one of them.

216436[/snapback]

I agree...

But I thought it was ALWAYS about $....like in baseball???? Could it have something to do with well-managed teams and not all about $? Nah... :D:lol:

I thought this wasnt supposed to happen in the NFL???  I thought the cap was a PERFECT system to rid of seeing the same teams over a 3-4 year period...

Intere$ting....

216431[/snapback]

Give credit to Bellichek (sp). He is a coaching genius who has a roster full of average players. His second string players play as well as many first stringers. When one of their players goes down they don't skip a beat.

Give credit to Bellichek (sp).  He is a coaching genius who has a roster full of average players.  His second string players play as well as many first stringers.  When one of their players goes down they don't skip a beat.

216442[/snapback]

as milloy pointed out in his little rant last week, it doesn't hurt NE has guys like bruschi and light taking well below market value contracts to stick around........you can trash milloy for taking shots at them because of it (it is there choice at the end of the day, and they obviously desire rings more then money), but it does give NE an advantage over the rest of the league.........how many other players do that? it just gives them more money to spend on the rest of the roster..........

as milloy pointed out in his little rant last week, it doesn't hurt NE has guys like bruschi and light taking well below market value contracts to stick around........you can trash milloy for taking shots at them because of it (it is there choice at the end of the day, and they obviously desire rings more then money), but it does give NE an advantage over the rest of the league.........how many other players do that? it just gives them more money to spend on the rest of the roster..........

216451[/snapback]

The players do it, because unlike Mularkey and Donohoe, they've proven they can git'er done!

Give credit to Bellichek (sp).  He is a coaching genius who has a roster full of average players.  His second string players play as well as many first stringers.  When one of their players goes down they don't skip a beat.

216442[/snapback]

I agree with this...it's the old cliche of buying into a coach's system. The players have done it and they see it paying off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I heard that Milloy refused to renegotiate, thus he was cut. If that's the case, I think the players got the message.

Rodney Harrison said at one point that this is a team of 7th-round draft picks (or whatever). His point was that every player on that team plays like their job is on the line. They're excellent athletes, but there probably isn't anyone that just assumes they have a job from week to week. This translates to everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) working their tail off mentally and physically to try and win.

When you have a brilliant coach and ownership/management that agree with each other on the goal, you have a winning franchise. That's what New England is doing right now.

Maybe the NFL should include coaches' pay in the salary cap. Maybe the NFL can enable teams to trade coaches for player, draft picks or other coaches --I know this can kind of happen already. I 'd give up two first round picks for Bellichick.

Your points are good and I agree, give credit to coaching, personnell, management etc...so again, it proves that sports and winning are not ALL about money, like some think it is

216472[/snapback]

If you're trying to compare football to baseball, you're completely off; football is a *team* sport, whereas baseball is very much an *individualized* sport. When Barry Bonds goes up to bat, the rest of his teammates are inconsequential. Therefore, buying the best players in baseball gives a much better ROI.

Also, while the Patriots have been to 3 out of 4 Superbowls, they didn't even make the postseason after their one. Combine that with the fact that salaries aren't exploding out of control so that ticket prices can remain affordable and all of the teams can compete, and you see that the system does work.

CW

If you're trying to compare football to baseball, you're completely off; football is a *team* sport, whereas baseball is very much an *individualized* sport.  When Barry Bonds goes up to bat, the rest of his teammates are inconsequential.  Therefore, buying the best players in baseball gives a much better ROI.

Also, while the Patriots have been to 3 out of 4 Superbowls, they didn't even make the postseason after their one.  Combine that with the fact that salaries aren't exploding out of control so that ticket prices can remain affordable and all of the teams can compete, and you see that the system does work.

CW

216482[/snapback]

Except that we seem to groom a WHOLE LOT of players for other teams.

(ASmith, AWinfield, SCowart, etc...)

If you're trying to compare football to baseball, you're completely off; football is a *team* sport, whereas baseball is very much an *individualized* sport.  When Barry Bonds goes up to bat, the rest of his teammates are inconsequential.  Therefore, buying the best players in baseball gives a much better ROI.

Also, while the Patriots have been to 3 out of 4 Superbowls, they didn't even make the postseason after their one.  Combine that with the fact that salaries aren't exploding out of control so that ticket prices can remain affordable and all of the teams can compete, and you see that the system does work.

CW

216482[/snapback]

Baseball is sold short as a "team sport" all the time. This is an incorrect interpretation.

"When Eric Moulds has the corner beat and the ball is just within his reach, the rest of his teammates are inconsequential."

The above statement is untrue, as is your staement about Bonds.

How many of his teammates are on base? Who follows him in the order and can the pitcher afford to pitch around Bonds? Have the Giants worked the counts the entire game wearing down the pitcher? Are the pitcher and fielders for the opposition sychronized on how they'll pitch to Bonds?

Every sport has both individual and team components. This is why team sports are great. They team aspects of baseball may be harder to see, but they are there.

Your points are good and I agree, give credit to coaching, personnell, management etc...so again, it proves that sports and winning are not ALL about money, like some think it is

216472[/snapback]

Is the fact that on winning teams players choose the team over the money and take less than market value (Bruschi and Light were two examples given on NE, Elway did the same thing to keep Davis and Sharpe and finally won, Farve did the same thing in the late 90s to keep is running game together and was not among the top 10 QB cap hits for years while clearly he was a top 10 QB because of this) and indication that money is secondary to winning or is it an indicator that you often win by manipulating the money.

In my mind, it underscores a consistent theme of mine that the NFL used to be a sport that happened to be a business and now it is a business that happens to be a sport. This small shift makes all the difference.

I think it is prime testimony to how the money drives the results when you look at NE. The last three years have seen them win the SB, followed by completely missing the playoffs as the trade of Bledsoe gave them an accelerated cap hit making it impossible for them to acquire 1/3 of their team after June 1st as they did the year before. This was followed the third year by them winning the SB again in pat bouyed by the FA purchase of Harrison and being able to have bought marginally better back-ups to deal with the rash of injuries they had last year.

To me its all about the Benjamins still, but teams achieve good sports goals when they pass by the free-market opportunity to maximize the dollars they make.

Let's sum up the whole point of Clements22's very sarcastic post.

Since NE is a "dynasty", a salary cap wouldn't prevent the same teams from winning over and over.

It's complete crap, as most of us know, but let him have his fun...

The Yankees payroll will be roughly $210M.

The RedSox will probably be close to $180-$190.

The Brewers will be $28 Million.

The Devil Ray's - just about $30Million.

No matter HOW big of a fan of the Yankees you are, no one can claim that is fair.

I am NOT blaming the Yankees. They play by the rules. Hell, I'm sure every team wishes they had that much money. I just think the whole system sucks.

Intere$ting....

216431[/snapback]

I'm guessing this was a sarcastic post....

Just one thing though -- the NFL system isn't designed to stop the same teams from winning. It's designed to stop the richest owners from dominating the sport. Big difference.

Baseball is a joke. The Mets are going to get 3 of the best free agents in one shot. That could never happen in football, nor should it. The fact that they still won't beat the Braves doesn't change the fact that it's bad for competition in baseball.

The difference should be obvious to anyone who still cares about the Sabres.

I'm guessing this was a sarcastic post....

Just one thing though -- the NFL system isn't designed to stop the same teams from winning.  It's designed to stop the richest owners from dominating the sport.  Big difference.

Baseball is a joke.  The Mets are going to get 3 of the best free agents in one shot.  That could never happen in football, nor should it.  The fact that they still won't beat the Braves doesn't change the fact that it's bad for competition in baseball.

The difference should be obvious to anyone who still cares about the Sabres.

216522[/snapback]

no team will likely land the 3 best free agents in football, but didn't the eagles land the 2 best last off-season?

Let's sum up the whole point of Clements22's very sarcastic post.

Since NE is a "dynasty", a salary cap wouldn't prevent the same teams from winning over and over.

It's complete crap, as most of us know, but let him have his fun...

The Yankees payroll will be roughly $210M.

The RedSox will probably be close to $180-$190.

The Brewers will be $28 Million.

The Devil Ray's - just about $30Million.

No matter HOW big of a fan of the Yankees you are, no one can claim that is fair.

I am NOT blaming the Yankees. They play by the rules. Hell, I'm sure every team wishes they had that much money. I just think the whole system sucks.

216512[/snapback]

All Im really trying to say is some here talk about how this NFL system is so perfect and its almost "holier then thou" when it fact you will STILL have teams that dominate, still have some teams that will get to the Final 4 or the SB for a long stretch of time...sure other teams can squeak through here and there, and Im not trying to say it happens less in the NFL then it does in MLB, it dosent I know that, and baseball needs to fix things Ill grant you that.

216442[/snapback]

Hank Frickin' Poteat guarding Plexico Burress was ridiculous.

All Im really trying to say is some here talk about how this NFL system is so perfect and its almost "holier then thou" when it fact you will STILL have teams that dominate, still have some teams that will get to the Final 4 or the SB for a long stretch of time...sure other teams can squeak through here and there, and Im not trying to say it happens less in the NFL then it does in MLB, it dosent I know that, and baseball needs to fix things Ill grant you that.

216541[/snapback]

However, in the NF, in happens in spurts - just look at the 49ers.

This will catch up to the Pats.

That's why the NFL has such a WIN NOW mentality...

If the Yanks lose a player, oh well - just go buy another one.