I Need Suggestions...Fishing Trip

So every summer my father, my son and I go on a fishing trip to Canada. This year we decided to try a new spot in Quebec. In order to get to the actual lake/lodge, we are driving two hours down a logging/bush road which means this place is way out there (good for fishing, bad for having typical luxuries like cell coverage or electricity). I just received word from the owner that the access road was pretty bad early season and they couldn't get in to cut ice from the lake (they usually keep a large supply of block ice on premises for coolers, etc.) So my questions are as follows:

1) I'm going to buy a large cooler and buy some block ice on the way...what cooler do you guys recommend? Brand?

2) What is the best method for freezing pre-cooked dinners (like spaghetti sauce, chili, stew, etc.)? Wrap in newspaper? Freeze in Ziplocs? Some of you guys must have a trick that works. Wondering how long they will stay frozen and/or at least cold.

3) They only turn the generator electricity on from 8pm-midnight (to allow people to charge their phones, see around the cabin before hitting the hay. We usually want to watch a movie on the laptop. Is there anything we can use to power the laptop...maybe an external power source (if there is such a thing).

Any other suggestions of things we should bring??

Regarding#3---- there is a great product called randomorder. Portable powerbanks. These little guys charge thru your usb port. On a laptop. We use them for charging phones, cameras especially Go Pros. They even have a flashlight. Get them at Costco @ 2 for $24. Cameras drain a lot of power these things are great, especially if you are shooting videos. They are very small and both easily fit in a pocket. For that matter buy a friggin GO PRO camera (black package is best) and shoot 7 hours of HD video on a 64 gig card. these things shoot underwater, over water, in friggin space should you choose to go there. They make great attachments and you can film the whopper on the end of the line. We mainly use the portable power banks to charge cameras, cheaper than buying multiple batteries. High humidity will not shut them down. They can literally be attached anywhere, and are for now anyway state of the art heavy duty cameras. About half the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Also, if your in a high humidity area be prepared for digital devices to temporarily shut down at the worst times. phones, cameras everything. This happened in the Amazon,fishing no less, and we learned our lesson and now bring at least 2 analog cameras, even throw aways are better than nothing.

Packing desiccant packs does nothing. You need analog or lose the big moments.

Regarding#3---- there is a great product called randomorder. Portable powerbanks. These little guys charge thru your usb port. On a laptop. We use them for charging phones, cameras especially Go Pros. They even have a flashlight. Get them at Costco @ 2 for $24. Cameras drain a lot of power these things are great, especially if you are shooting videos. They are very small and both easily fit in a pocket. For that matter buy a friggin GO PRO camera (black package is best) and shoot 7 hours of HD video on a 64 gig card. these things shoot underwater, over water, in friggin space should you choose to go there. They make great attachments and you can film the whopper on the end of the line. We mainly use the portable power banks to charge cameras, cheaper than buying multiple batteries. High humidity will not shut them down. They can literally be attached anywhere, and are for now anyway state of the art heavy duty cameras. About half the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Also, if your in a high humidity area be prepared for digital devices to temporarily shut down at the worst times. phones, cameras everything. This happened in the Amazon,fishing no less, and we learned our lesson and now bring at least 2 analog cameras, even throw aways are better than nothing.

Packing desiccant packs does nothing. You need analog or lose the big moments.

Will check out the power packs. We have our video cam to take in the boat (and the iPhone has decent video cam as well). Thanks for the suggestions. Amazon fishing huh?? I bet you tied into some unruly fish (more so than walleye and lakers). Those things down South have TEETH!!

i guess i'm getting old but i have a drawer full of big fish pictures and even more on computer. the mental images of euchre, poker, political discussions, stories, practical jokes etc are the ones i really treasure. anyway, i'm envious of your trip. enjoy every minute. the "leader of the band" that organized our yearly trip died unexpectantly a couple years back and no one has picked up the mantle to set up another trip. maybe it's time for me to do it. if you do nothing else, get the water treatment pills. "beaver fever" (aka giardiasis) is no laughing matter (well it is for a very short time) in a cabin full of flatulent men.

i guess i'm getting old but i have a drawer full of big fish pictures and even more on computer. the mental images of euchre, poker, political discussions, stories, practical jokes etc are the ones i really treasure. anyway, i'm envious of your trip. enjoy every minute. the "leader of the band" that organized our yearly trip died unexpectantly a couple years back and no one has picked up the mantle to set up another trip. maybe it's time for me to do it. if you do nothing else, get the water treatment pills. "beaver fever" (aka giardiasis) is no laughing matter (well it is for a very short time) in a cabin full of flatulent men.

It's a great time. I used to go with my father and grandfather as a kid (up to Rice Lake in Ontario and Buckhorn). When my grandfather died, it was me and my father and his friend or a cousin. Now that I have a son, I take my father and son (I owe my Dad for taking me). My son promises me he'll do the same for me when I'm older so I have that to look forward to... :). You should get a group together birddog. There's a lot of great fishing lakes (Check out Gogama and Lake Nippising, etc.) Many have American plans where they make all the meals for you. We usually do that...but this year wanted to try something different and out of the way http://www.ogascanan.com/ This is where we're going. Edited by BringBackFergy

You should get a group together birddog. There's a lot of great fishing lakes (Check out Gogama and Lake Nippising, etc.)

From what I have read, the fishing (in particular - walleye) at Lake Nippissing has fallen way off. Many have attributed this to the allocations to the Native Canadians.

It's a great time. I used to go with my father and grandfather as a kid (up to Rice Lake in Ontario and Buckhorn). When my grandfather died, it was me and my father and his friend or a cousin. Now that I have a son, I take my father and son (I owe my Dad for taking me). My son promises me he'll do the same for me when I'm older so I have that to look forward to... :). You should get a group together birddog. There's a lot of great fishing lakes (Check out Gogama and Lake Nippising, etc.) Many have American plans where they make all the meals for you. We usually do that...but this year wanted to try something different and out of the way http://www.ogascanan.com/ This is where we're going.

that looks like a great spot. the "bush road" looks, um, challenging and i'm sure those pics we're before any wash out. i'm guessing by july it'll be corduroy. but that's the price for truly unfished spots unless you wanna pay for fly in and i don't if i don't need to. rainy isn't like that even though the lodge we went to was boat in. we hit a couple of portage lakes there that were 100 fish days but not usually and never on the big lake. please report back on the fishing.

oh and btw, how are you at getting hooks out of body parts? there was always a veterinarian and me on our trips and it came down to whoever had drunk less beer on who did the honors.. sometimes it was a close call. i'm betting you know to always push through and never pull back on a barb.

Edited by birdog1960

that looks like a great spot. the "bush road" looks, um, challenging and i'm sure those pics we're before any wash out. i'm guessing by july it'll be corduroy. but that's the price for truly unfished spots unless you wanna pay for fly in and i don't if i don't need to. rainy isn't like that even though the lodge we went to was boat in. we hit a couple of portage lakes there that were 100 fish days but not usually and never on the big lake. please report back on the fishing.

oh and btw, how are you at getting hooks out of body parts? there was always a veterinarian and me on our trips and it came down to whoever had drunk less beer on who did the honors.. sometimes it was a close call. i'm betting you know to always push through and never pull back on a barb.

There's a video around here somewhere of a guy with a string who loops it around, applies pressure and it comes right out...otherwise, yes, whoever is most sober gets the task (have only had to help once before...we're pretty safe). I'll report back on how we do. Success in fishing is not as important as the time spent and laughs shared...but it sure does help (especially with our shore lunches mid day).