I Need Suggestions...Fishing Trip

So every summer my father, my son and I go on a fishing trip to Canada. This year we decided to try a new spot in Quebec. In order to get to the actual lake/lodge, we are driving two hours down a logging/bush road which means this place is way out there (good for fishing, bad for having typical luxuries like cell coverage or electricity). I just received word from the owner that the access road was pretty bad early season and they couldn't get in to cut ice from the lake (they usually keep a large supply of block ice on premises for coolers, etc.) So my questions are as follows:

1) I'm going to buy a large cooler and buy some block ice on the way...what cooler do you guys recommend? Brand?

2) What is the best method for freezing pre-cooked dinners (like spaghetti sauce, chili, stew, etc.)? Wrap in newspaper? Freeze in Ziplocs? Some of you guys must have a trick that works. Wondering how long they will stay frozen and/or at least cold.

3) They only turn the generator electricity on from 8pm-midnight (to allow people to charge their phones, see around the cabin before hitting the hay. We usually want to watch a movie on the laptop. Is there anything we can use to power the laptop...maybe an external power source (if there is such a thing).

Any other suggestions of things we should bring??

For things like meat and veggies I always used my wife's vacumn seal. You can marinade or use a rub whatever you prefer and the vacumn seal won't let it get freezer burn or leak all over your cooler. I think you can use it for most precooked meals too. Not sure if it works for liquids though. I've had problems with using ziplock containers and bags. Tupperware works well too.

I have Coleman coolers and they work pretty good. I've heard Igloo brand coolers are good too. I usually go for weekend excursions only though. Nothing over a week...

I'd suggest unplugging. It's nice to have a getaway without all of the technology.

Edited by Kevin

These coolers come highly recommended. http://yeticoolers.com/

For your food storage question, once made portion them into a zip lock bag and/or aluminum pan and then freeze.

Can you bring in a small generator along to go with what the outfitter provides?

Why not disconnect yourself? My grandfather had an island up in Lake Nippissing with no power / phone. Now, this was 35+ years ago, but it was some of the best times hanging out reading, playing cards, listening to the radio, talking.

3) They only turn the generator electricity on from 8pm-midnight (to allow people to charge their phones, see around the cabin before hitting the hay. We usually want to watch a movie on the laptop. Is there anything we can use to power the laptop...maybe an external power source (if there is such a thing).

Don't get to go camping as often as I'd like, and have never used a solar charger, but have wondered if it would be worthwhile - - they seem a little pricey for how infrequently I would use one:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Solar-Charger-Reviews/buying-advice

beef is always better, so make sure you stop and pick up some steaks if you want a real meal.

I'm definitely taking some ribeyes...I need to make sure they stay cold until they get to the grill on night 2 or 3. They have propane refrigerators so they should work fine for that. Keeping our beer cold is another story though.

Don't get to go camping as often as I'd like, and have never used a solar charger, but have wondered if it would be worthwhile - - they seem a little pricey for how infrequently I would use one:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Solar-Charger-Reviews/buying-advice

I'll check those out. Thanks.

These coolers come highly recommended. http://yeticoolers.com/

For your food storage question, once made portion them into a zip lock bag and/or aluminum pan and then freeze.

Can you bring in a small generator along to go with what the outfitter provides?

Why not disconnect yourself? My grandfather had an island up in Lake Nippissing with no power / phone. Now, this was 35+ years ago, but it was some of the best times hanging out reading, playing cards, listening to the radio, talking.

yeti coolers...sounds perfect. The mini generator is a good idea. Might be good to bring just for emergency. We are bringing cards, music, etc but watching The Godfather is kind of a tradition.

I'm definitely taking some ribeyes...I need to make sure they stay cold until they get to the grill on night 2 or 3. They have propane refrigerators so they should work fine for that. Keeping our beer cold is another story though.

I'll check those out. Thanks.

Coolers. Coolers. Put beer in the coolers, top with as much ice as possible. Or, if the water is still cold, just put the beer in the water overnight.

#coolers.

The vacuum bags are good.

Many of these problems could be solved by fishing in a more developed country.

lol...it's a trade off - travel into a desolate lake to catch fish but give up conveniences or go to a lake on the highway with no fish but 20 electrical outlets.

For things like meat and veggies I always used my wife's vacumn seal. You can marinade or use a rub whatever you prefer and the vacumn seal won't let it get freezer burn or leak all over your cooler. I think you can use it for most precooked meals too. Not sure if it works for liquids though. I've had problems with using ziplock containers and bags. Tupperware works well too.

I have Coleman coolers and they work pretty good. I've heard Igloo brand coolers are good too. I usually go for weekend excursions only though. Nothing over a week...

I'd suggest unplugging. It's nice to have a getaway without all of the technology.

thanks Kevin. I'll look for a vacuum sealer. Always wanted one so this is a good reason. I think you're right about Unplugging. We plan on it (but as I said, watching The Godfather at night is tradition so I hate to disappoint. :)

I agree with portioning and using ziplock and a good cooler. I've never had a problem with that method, especially as JBoyst said, you can use the lake to keep everything cold. Sounds like someone from the cabin will be around most of the time? My one big peice of advice is to take every suggestion about food control due to bears very seriously. It's shocking what small mistakes can bring a bear into camp, and this time of year is often the most dangerous due to cubs.

Do you have a kick ass 4 x 4 with winches and stuff? If the owner couldn't get in, maybe its impassable?

They couldn't get in March/early April to cut ice off the lake but the road is all good now. We're going in July so it should be fine (knock on wood). Have a Toyota Tundra 4WD.

Why take food. They not serve any thing. Go put the beer in the lake.. Should have booked a Holiday Inn express if you want to keep all the electronic stuff going.

LOL

So true meade! Crazy how people are convinced to bring along all kinds of electronic stuff... Goal Zero is making a mint keeping people charged up. I get the emails from them, crazy what people are packing (and how much it costs)...

...As my thumbs hammer away on my Droid @ work tonight.

:-O :-)

They couldn't get in March/early April to cut ice off the lake but the road is all good now. We're going in July so it should be fine (knock on wood). Have a Toyota Tundra 4WD.

Nice truck. I'm going to trade in my Jeep for a Tacoma 4WD. Tundra is too hard to park in San Diego. Damn small parking spaces.

Nice truck. I'm going to trade in my Jeep for a Tacoma 4WD. Tundra is too hard to park in San Diego. Damn small parking spaces.

There's a blind spot in the Tundra also which is a pain in the arse...when backing up or looking left and right (really have to adjust your body to check all directions)...my brother in law has the Tacoma and loves it. Good choice.

dry ice! go to sam's or costco and buy a whole prime rib (7-8 bucks a pound but worth every penny) . age it in your fridge - just leave it on a tray and let it get funky for about a week. cut into ribeyes or roasts and freeze in zip locks put it in a cooler full of dry ice and your set. bacon and sausage for sausage gravy, pillsbury biscuits, spaghetti sauce, burger all in ziplocks in the dry ice. i used to go with a group of 10 or so to rainy lake ont driving from virginia every year and that's how we did it (place was boat in only, maybe an option for you?). bought eggs and milk and beer and paper products in the closest town. have fun. wish i was going this year!

oh and good lord, leave the lap top and cell phone at home. do you really want to know your home is burning down 1000 miles and 12 hours away? coleman lantern, water purification kits (dissolvable) and lots of deet will come in more handy.

Edited by birdog1960

dry ice! go to sam's or costco and buy a whole prime rib (7-8 bucks a pound but worth every penny) . age it in your fridge - just leave it on a tray and let it get funky for about a week. cut into ribeyes or roasts and freeze in zip locks put it in a cooler full of dry ice and your set. bacon and sausage for sausage gravy, pillsbury biscuits, spaghetti sauce, burger all in ziplocks in the dry ice. i used to go with a group of 10 or so to rainy lake ont driving from virginia every year and that's how we did it (place was boat in only, maybe an option for you?). bought eggs and milk and beer and paper products in the closest town. have fun. wish i was going this year!

oh and good lord, leave the lap top and cell phone at home. do you really want to know your home is burning down 1000 miles and 12 hours away? coleman lantern, water purification kits (dissolvable) and lots of deet will come in more handy.

Dry ice is a great idea. How long does it last?? A day or two probably?

The prime rib sounds good...does the Mrs. allow funky beef to sit next to her yogurt is another question. :)

Laptop only to watch DVD movies at night after cards and re telling how the big walleye got away. "The Godfather" is tradition for my son, father and me on our annual fishing trip...have to watch it.

Dry ice is a great idea. How long does it last?? A day or two probably?

The prime rib sounds good...does the Mrs. allow funky beef to sit next to her yogurt is another question. :)

Laptop only to watch DVD movies at night after cards and re telling how the big walleye got away. "The Godfather" is tradition for my son, father and me on our annual fishing trip...have to watch it.

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/camping.htm.

yes, it takes a lot of space to dry age a whole prime rib. my wife was in on it since we made it for a fund raiser to serve as appetizers on french bread pieces. you could probably do it in a cooler. you cut the funkiness off at the end and it doesn't smell. it gets a rind on it. i think it would be fine not to dry age too but it definitely adds flavor.