We all should be sad about this, but WTF?

17-year-old girl dies after drug/alcohol overdoses after senior prom:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Teen-girl-found-dead-in-hotel-after-Aldine-ISD-5486330.php

Read through the article, and you find that THE PLAN, which a lot of people knew about, was for her to spend the entire weekend at the hotel with her boyfriend.

:wacko:

Jesus, where are the parents?

We need to blame someone, blame the school! They are supposed to foster these children and in the article it says she had an alcohol problem as a sophomore. Why did no one help her? Where were the counselors and student services? Why didn't anyone look out for her?

Busy trying to be their kids' BFF's.

I'm so glad I don't have kids.

I wish you did. Same with Jim. I'd be fascinated by your offsprings. You two are very interesting people.

But, I guess I will enjoy being in my 80's and 90's and looking back on the you's and Jim's of the world and blaming you for

#Iblameyouandbush

Edited by jboyst62

We need to blame someone, blame the school! They are supposed to foster these children and in the article it says she had an alcohol problem as a sophomore. Why did no one help her? Where were the counselors and student services? Why didn't anyone look out for her?

The article states she "...had struggled with school as a sophomore...", not alcohol. It went on to say that she had made it through and was planning on going to college to become a pharmacy technician. Sounds like the school gave her the help she needed, not only to make it through HS but to put her on the path to a future. Schools' job is to promote learning, too often they are also expected to play a roll in parenting. This certainly is not something the school should be blamed for.

Tragic result regardless.

Edited by Steve O

The article states she "...had struggled with school as a sophomore...", not alcohol. It went on to say that she had made it through and was planning on going to college to become a pharmacy technician. Sounds like the school gave her the help she needed, not only to make it through HS but to put her on the path to a future. Schools' job is to promote learning, too often they are also expected to play a roll in parenting. This certainly is not something the school should be blamed for.

Tragic result regardless.

Planning on going to school and then work in an industry where drugs are a common theme? Yeah, that's a great place for an addict. Clearly, the guidance counselors didn't have their heads on straight.

This girl was crying out for help. The school is most certainly at fault, it should have got in the traveling lane and let him pass.

#thinkofthechildren

Edited by jboyst62

Planning on going to school and then work in an industry where drugs are a common theme? Yeah, that's a great place for an addict. Clearly, the guidance counselors didn't have their heads on straight.

This girl was crying out for help. The school is most certainly at fault, it should have got in the traveling lane and let him pass.

#thinkofthechildren

Schools are not parents.

I realize that kids, literally, spend more awake hours at school than they do at home. I do think that teachers, etc. do have a responsibility to identify red flags. But to hold the school responsible every time a kid makes bad choices ... well, that just seems too easy to me.

It starts at home.

The parents should know what the guidance counselor was telling their child.

Schools are not parents.

I realize that kids, literally, spend more awake hours at school than they do at home. I do think that teachers, etc. do have a responsibility to identify red flags. But to hold the school responsible every time a kid makes bad choices ... well, that just seems too easy to me.

It starts at home.

The parents should know what the guidance counselor was telling their child.

but why did she pull out her phone and start recording!?

#ohmygodgugnyicantbelieveyouthinkimserious,wow.

Edited by jboyst62

Blame the School? I hope you are being sarcastic

My HS allowed one of its biggest pot heads (me) run for senior class president.

But that was 1967 when everyone was taking the pot.

#thinkofthechildren

Where in the article does it say anything about her being an addict?

Looks like you did not read the article or my response accurately.

At no place in the article was the girl crying for help.

She DID NOT HAVE AN ALCOHOL PROBLEM as a sophomore. She struggled with school.

The school did its job, she was graduating and going on to college.

I'll grant you that getting into the Pharmacy business is not a great career choice for an addict, but there is no mention of prior substance problem (neither alcohol or otherwise) in the article. Unless you are making the jump that drinking at the prom is an indication of addiction.

Edited by Steve O

I wish you did. Same with Jim. I'd be fascinated by your offsprings. You two are very interesting people.

But, I guess I will enjoy being in my 80's and 90's and looking back on the you's and Jim's of the world and blaming you for

#Iblameyouandbush

They probably wouldn't be as interesting if they did have kids! They wouldn't have the time or money to become more interesting.