Saying goodbye to an old friend tomorrow

Rubes

Our 15-year old schnauzer mutt Ginger has bladder cancer, and it's now bad enough that it's making it hard for her to urinate. She spends a good chunk of the day and night straining to urinate, and although she hasn't seemed uncomfortable by it, things seem to have worsened the past couple of days. So the wife and I think it's time.

The hardest part is admitting that the time has come, especially for a dog that otherwise still seems playful and lively. The past couple of days have really seemed more difficult for her, though, and her days and nights are now preoccupied with the effort of peeing, so yeah, it does seem like the time is upon us.

We got her when she was 6 months old and she's been a great dog all these years. I knew it would be tough, but you can never really prepare.

So incredibly sorry, Rubes. Tears in my eyes. You provided her with 15 years of love and care and you can bet your ass she appreciates it. Pets have a special place in our hearts. We need them as much as they need us, it turns out. Be well, friend.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

It's been a tough week, but we're getting through it. One thing that I found helpful was to read this book:

Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die

Jon is a really good writer and has a great perspective on pets, particularly dogs, and the role they play in our lives.

I miss her terribly, but eventually I'll be able to move on.

Rubes, just now seeing this thread and only read your post.

I feel for you and your family.

We had a Bernese Mountain dog for 12 years and had to put him down because his hip dysplasia finally became too much for him.

Peace