Saying goodbye to an old friend tomorrow

Rubes

Our 15-year old schnauzer mutt Ginger has bladder cancer, and it's now bad enough that it's making it hard for her to urinate. She spends a good chunk of the day and night straining to urinate, and although she hasn't seemed uncomfortable by it, things seem to have worsened the past couple of days. So the wife and I think it's time.

The hardest part is admitting that the time has come, especially for a dog that otherwise still seems playful and lively. The past couple of days have really seemed more difficult for her, though, and her days and nights are now preoccupied with the effort of peeing, so yeah, it does seem like the time is upon us.

We got her when she was 6 months old and she's been a great dog all these years. I knew it would be tough, but you can never really prepare.

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear this Rubes. As I type this, my 12 year old Shitzu-poodle is kicking my toes (she loves the taste after I've been walking around all day, must be the sweat). I can't even think about what you must be going through. Every time I even think for a second about doing what your doing, I bust into tears.

All I can say, is if she is pain, suffering, not able to live a somewhat normal life, your doing the right thing. It's just hard and an extremely hard decision you have to make. But I'll say this, if she is still playful, seems like she is all there, and still enjoys her days with your family every day, I don't think I could do it. The only way I could make that decision would be to see my baby girl in pain.

I really am sorry man. I hope you make the right decision. I hope things work out the best for you and your puppy regardless. Im here if you need to chat anytime brother.

Edited by mrags

Youre doing the right thing. Wish I'd made the decision sooner with my pet of 16 years. His last few months were in chronic pain and with frequent treatments at the vet's, and in retrospect it wasn't fair to him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Thanks everybody. It does seem more and more like the right thing to do, but still a difficult thing to accept. The toughest part will be the emptiness felt in the house afterward. She's been there every morning and evening for 15 years. That's a big hole she'll be leaving behind.