AT&T purchase of DirecTV

Mr Info

It looks like it may be announced tomorrow (18 May).

Thoughts?

This may be beneficial to me as our family is on an AT&T mobile plan and I have been a long-time customer of DirecTV and should be able to get some type of bundle. I have always received outstanding customer service from both of these companies so I anticipate that will continue.

AT&T has offered a Direct TV bundle for several years. In places where Infinity has the cable monopoly. Their cable is Uverse..

Uverse is only available in 22 states and not present where I am. That limited coverage is one of the reasons they are acquiring DirecTV.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/17/us-usa-mergers-att-dirctv-idUSBREA4G06F20140517

AT&T has offered a Direct TV bundle for several years. In places where Infinity has the cable monopoly. Their cable is Uverse..

We have Uverse here, but AT&T's TV offering isn't DIrecTV...at least here in SoCal. They constantly call to upgrade to their TV services, and I only have to say "Sunday Ticket," and they say, "Okay, thanks for your time."

I just wish we had more options for hi-speed internet here. Uverse is fine and reliable, but I'd love to take FIOS for a spin.

We have Uverse here, but AT&T's TV offering isn't DIrecTV...at least here in SoCal. They constantly call to upgrade to their TV services, and I only have to say "Sunday Ticket," and they say, "Okay, thanks for your time."

I just wish we had more options for hi-speed internet here. Uverse is fine and reliable, but I'd love to take FIOS for a spin.

AT&T U-Verse Gigapower is great (I have it in their first market here in Austin), and they are looking to expand to 22 other cities soon.

i have never had a problem with Verizon, have had them as my cell phone carrier and fios for over 4 years and honestly have never had a single issue.

Worked for a cable company in the past. The bundling isn't always a win for the customer.

Sounds good, but most cable companies are scum. I wouldn't trust Verizon with anything after the horror stories I have heard.

i have never had a problem with Verizon, have had them as my cell phone carrier and fios for over 4 years and honestly have never had a single issue.

That's awesome. Worked for a competitor and used to hear horrific stories from Verizon Fios customers in Virginia.

Service turn offs on current customers......double billing.....internet in NOVA wouldn't work in peak hours.

One lady told me she had 270-300 month taken from her bank account and spent two weeks on the phone showing them bank statements as they weren't recording the payments and kept turning her service off.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

AT&T U-Verse Gigapower is great (I have it in their first market here in Austin), and they are looking to expand to 22 other cities soon.

I have Uverse and live in Austin as well, but I can't get gigapower yet as it hasn't deployed in my neighborhood. I'm sure it will soon though. in the meantime, the 24 mg is doing just fine.

This. Before I was on verizon, I was on T-Mobile.

You think something run by Germans would be efficient.

It's not.

This.

Have either of you had to contact Verizon to address an issue? Perhaps it has been so reliable you have not - congrats. I have both ATT & Verizon to address redundancy for a business and ATT is extremely easy to contact and correct a problem whereas Verizon is nearly the antithesis of that.

How the AT&T-DIRECTV merger affects consumers <9:32>

AT&T, the second largest wireless provider in the nation, announced its purchase of satellite television giant DIRECTV for nearly $50 billion. The companies said the takeover will allow for more bundling of mobile, TV and Internet plans, and they will serve a combined 26 million video users. Matt Wood of Free Press and Jim Nail of Forrester Research join Gwen Ifill to discuss the move.

I have contacted them and perhaps I am one of the fortunate few, but FIOS issues have always been resolved without much trouble and my phone issues have been handled beyond my requests.

Have either of you had to contact Verizon to address an issue? Perhaps it has been so reliable you have not - congrats. I have both ATT & Verizon to address redundancy for a business and ATT is extremely easy to contact and correct a problem whereas Verizon is nearly the antithesis of that.

Worked for a cable company in the past. The bundling isn't always a win for the customer.

Sounds good, but most cable companies are scum. I wouldn't trust Verizon with anything after the horror stories I have heard.

Yup. We dumped cable seeing we didn't use it a lot and we wanted to save money. The only way we could save money (and very little at that) was to bundle in home phone. Well we haven't had a land line in 3 years. I hate them. :censored: