Report: NFL to change drug policy regarding marijuana use

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should change. If the league wants to move forward I hope they consider the players right to smoke without as big a suspension as they are currently recieving. What is the suspension for a couple beers? As long as they they stay home it's their choice.

Edited by seq004

People on this board spend hours weekly here, do yourself a favor and spend 1 hour online and look into stop and frisk in NYC. Imagine if alcohol stayed in your system for a month or 2 instead of hours. Spend sometime researching how many people the land of free have in prison compared to other countries. See the relationship of the for profit prison corporate world paired with the prison gaurd unions. They both have the same goal, more prisoners means more profit, more union jobs. I say this as a union member, but I can see hypocrisy.

Actually I dont buy the slippery slope arguement. It's not about your teenager legally buying heroin or cocaine, that's not going to happen. It's about coming to the rationalization that someone taking a few hits off a doobie in his home or around a camp fire, is not much different, and no menace to society, as the guy having a few beers at the legion, VFW or local bar.

Edited by billsfan714

Call me old school, but I don't get why players need to smoke weed.

Just because society is changing its views and weed doesn't mean the NFL has to.

These guys are supposed to be role models to kids but those role model guys are fewer and fewer.

if you're old school, then you should at least know what nickel and dime "packages" were really named after

;)

Call me old school, but I don't get why players need to smoke weed.

Just because society is changing its views and weed doesn't mean the NFL has to.

These guys are supposed to be role models to kids but those role model guys are fewer and fewer.

No one needs to smoke weed. People choose to. Pro athletes are not supposed to be role models.

Cocaine is still used medicinally as is Methamphetamine. As far as I know the NFL can't restrict their use if prescribed by a Doctor. The difference with marijuana is that it's illegal federally and cannot be legally prescribed. Think about that for a second, you can get cocaine and meth from your doctor.

According to the federal government marijuana is a Schedule I substance, thus it can never be "prescribed" by a physician. And since the DEA governments every physician's ability to prescribe controlled substances, it's not likely going to be violated by any doctor in any state. To get around this, in some states, medicinal marijuana can only be "recommended". I can't possibly see the NFL going against the federal government due to its anti-trust status, regardless of what state a team plays in.

People on this board spend hours weekly here, do yourself a favor and spend 1 hour online and look into stop and frisk in NYC. Imagine if alcohol stayed in your system for a month or 2 instead of hours. Spend sometime researching how many people the land of free have in prison compared to other countries. See the relationship of the for profit prison corporate world paired with the prison gaurd unions. They both have the same goal, more prisoners means more profit, more union jobs. I say this as a union member, but I can see hypocrisy.

Actually I dont buy the slippery slope arguement. It's not about your teenager legally buying heroin or cocaine, that's not going to happen. It's about coming to the rationalization that someone taking a few hits off a doobie in his home or around a camp fire, is not much different, and no menace to society, as the guy having a few beers at the legion, VFW or local bar.

And while you are at it look up why marijuana is illegal to begin with. Much of it has to do with it being a drug of the Black community. The hysteria also took out the country's legal and prospering hemp business, partly because cheaper paper made of hemp was a threat to the timber and pulp industry. Ha, things never change.

According to the federal government marijuana is a Schedule I substance, thus it can never be "prescribed" by a physician. And since the DEA governments every physician's ability to prescribe controlled substances, it's not likely going to be violated by any doctor in any state. To get around this, in some states, medicinal marijuana can only be "recommended". I can't possibly see the NFL going against the federal government due to its anti-trust status, regardless of what state a team plays in.

No but they can reduce penalties for violations.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And while you are at it look up why marijuana is illegal to begin with. Much of it has to do with it being a drug of the Black community. The hysteria also took out the country's legal and prospering hemp business, partly because cheaper paper made of hemp was a threat to the timber and pulp industry. Ha, things never change.

It was initially made illegal in the United States due to anti-Mexican racist sentiments: http://brucealanblock.com/why-marijuana-became-legal/

PTR, it goes even further: They can eliminate penalties for violations, or even eliminate it as a violation to begin with. kas23, It's not "going against the federal government" because it is not the NFL's job to enforce federal laws. The NFL doesn't have to do any drug testing; it chooses to.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

I hear you, and not wanting to stray into PPP territory here, consider this: does prohibition of any kind ever stem addiction or demand? If anything, it heightens it.

People have always wanted to get high, since back in the days of Adam and Eve. People will continue to look for new (or old) ways to get high as long as we are on this planet. I'm not in favor of deregulating every drug, but we're almost 40 years into the war on drugs and how much has the drug problem improved in this country?

I know you're not trying to be the moral police and I'm not trying to attack your views, just trying to point out another way to see it. What I'm suggesting is that the legality of a drug does not lead to more abuse generally speaking. It's a line of thought brought out by the ones who are profiting from the war on drugs (the for-profit-prison system to name one) but is really just a way to keep the current system going.

(EDIT: Full disclosure, I'm obviously biased on this issue)

And I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but legalizing something is by definition a means to justifying it, regardless of how we perceive the subject...and for me, while I understand people make personal choices about drugs or alcohol, for me, I couldn't just idly sit by allowing a full-on embrace of all forms of drugs, because by your statements I could extrapolate that the U.S. and states shouldn't criminalize cocaine, heroin, bath salts, or even prescription pill abuse which has a high rate of addiction and can lead to a heroin addiction....and unless you've worked some of those struggling with a serious addiction, it's hard to quantify in words the perils of such an addiction...but I've seen too many lives destroyed by prescription pill abuse, heroin, cocaine and others....and yes, I've seen fraud, forgery, various forms of larcenies and some other minor crimes committed for marijuana, and it wasn't for using it, it was for affording it....so even if / when it's legal everywhere, having the money to spend on it, will still be a systemic issue and its regulation will still cause legal consequences, i.e. prescription pill use, from those who choose to abuse it, such as alcohol....again, I'm not trying to have a debate about drug use / legalization, but as it pertains to NFL players, I am more concerned about how such use would effect their play on the field, and to a lesser extent how it may effect their personal lives, not that it's my business, just that I would hate to see anyone fail at achieving their dreams for something so trivial....and for guys like Henderson and Gordon, to me, it's not about the marijuana, which appears to be their drug of choice, it's more about - what is the deeper issue? And there MUST be one, b/c no one who is of sound mind and psychological health risks everythign in their life, knowing the consequences, and still continues to relapse with marijuana....so handling the inner person issues, is the most salient issue to their drug use....b/c if it were truly just a recreational thing, then at first detection and certainly by the second instant with consequence, the recreational user would just walk away from it, but when that person *can't*, there is a deeper rooted cause....and that effects the locker room and by extension, how the team plays on Sundays.

We can only hope that the rest of Corporate America follows the NFL lead and wakes up.

Ridiculous that you can report to work basically still legally drunk, but if you have weed in

your system from a week ago, you can be fired.

How much longer before they concede. A lot of really good hardworking and smart

people are being ostracized over something so very innocuous.

You can repost this 1000 times, it won't be any more true. A doctor will not prescribe cocaone to a patient in this country. Nor would he prescribe "meth", as you envision it. Also, you need a prescription for medicinal weed use in states that allow it. The federal government is not enforcing the illegal status of weed for personal or medicinal use.

Clearly you can see why cocaine and "meth" would fall under the category of performance enhancing drugs. Therefore, the NFL, as an employer, is free to ban them.

If you are a ST Lou fan, you should already be very sad that they drafted a LG with the 2nd overall pick when they really needed a star WR to help their awful offense.

Cocaine is still the go-to anesthetic in many facial surgeries and is still prescribed to people with lung ulcers. Meth is also still prescribed for very bad ADHD and for when patients need to lose large amounts of weight. Face it. Methamphetamine and Cocaine are still parts of modern medicine. Edited by Fingon

I work for NYS and my employer has a Zero tolerance policy when it comes to illegal drugs.... If I were to be found guilty of possession, I would be terminated..... Excuse me for believing professional athletes are not above the law..... If the rest of us have to obey the laws of our states and country, why shouldn't NFL players?

Cause the NFL is right, and your employer is wrong, that simple!

While generally correct, they actually will in extreme circumstances. Google "Brompton Cocktail". But people generally do not know this unless they are unfortunate enough to know someone who needed it. Pharmacies (at least some) keep some extraordinary pure cocaine on hand for such things.

That cocktail isn't part of modern palliative care in this country. Heroin cannot be legally prescribed or purchased any way.

Cocaine is still the go-to anesthetic in many facial surgeries and is still prescribed to people with lung ulcers. Meth is also still prescribed for very bad ADHD and for when patients need to lose large amounts of weight. Face it. Methamphetamine and Cocaine are still parts of modern medicine.

Cocaine used in the OR (or anywhere else) as a topical anesthetic isn't "prescribed" to the patient. Face it--it's just not true. Pick a factual way to make your point.

I agree that weed should be legal and I've been known to be a fan. But you're an idiot if you know the policy, already been suspended once, and do it again. He should get suspended for being an idiot.

How about Brett Favre's habitual use of painkillers. Should he have been suspended for being an idiot too?