Report: NFL to change drug policy regarding marijuana use

I work for NYS and my employer has a Zero tolerance policy when it comes to illegal drugs.... If I were to be found guilty of possession, I would be terminated..... Excuse me for believing professional athletes are not above the law..... If the rest of us have to obey the laws of our states and country, why shouldn't NFL players?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Lord, what an awful comparison. Also, it shows how stupid drug policies are. Coke is out of your system in a few days. Weed last for a month. It's why coke is the white collar drug of choice.

That's not the reason. And white collar people rarely take drug tests anyway.

I work for NYS and my employer has a Zero tolerance policy when it comes to illegal drugs.... If I were to be found guilty of possession, I would be terminated..... Excuse me for believing professional athletes are not above the law..... If the rest of us have to obey the laws of our states and country, why shouldn't NFL players?

Really? Even marijuana which is decriminalized in NYS up to an ounce?

That's not the reason. And white collar people rarely take drug tests anyway.

Thank God for that. B-)

I agree that weed should be legal and I've been known to be a fan. But you're an idiot if you know the policy, already been suspended once, and do it again. He should get suspended for being an idiot.

Especially because you should never get caught in the first place unless you are more than a recreational user...they only test for four months beginning in April and ending in August and there are no tests during the season unless you have already been caught using. If you can;t give up weed for a few months you got a problem...

Really? Even marijuana which is decriminalized in NYS up to an ounce?

Thank God for that. B-)

You can be fired for any reason or no reason, just not an illegal reason. There is no legal basis for an employer having to retain employees who use illicit drugs, and as far as I know recreational drug users are not a protected class under the law.

Each employer has the right to set the standards for their employees. My employer (in NY but not anything government) has a zero tolerance for any drugs including alcohol with the exception of cigs (in designated outdoor areas). I imagine employers in Colorado can still forbid weed even though it is legal there just like mine forbids alcohol even though it is legal.

The NFL is their employer so they can determine what they will and will not allow. And also, Colorado has a NFL team and weed is legal even for recreation there. So for the Broncos at least it isn't a question of being above the law.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree that weed should be legal and I've been known to be a fan. But you're an idiot if you know the policy, already been suspended once, and do it again. He should get suspended for being an idiot.

I agree, I heard Florio talking about it today and they said whenever it passes Gordon will be subject to the previous rules. He knew the ramifications, and didn't care. I am sure his teammates are thrilled with his commitment.

Cocaine is still used medicinally as is Methamphetamine. As far as I know the NFL can't restrict their use if prescribed by a Doctor. The difference with marijuana is that it's illegal federally and cannot be legally prescribed. Think about that for a second, you can get cocaine and meth from your doctor.

You can repost this 1000 times, it won't be any more true. A doctor will not prescribe cocaone to a patient in this country. Nor would he prescribe "meth", as you envision it. Also, you need a prescription for medicinal weed use in states that allow it. The federal government is not enforcing the illegal status of weed for personal or medicinal use.

Clearly you can see why cocaine and "meth" would fall under the category of performance enhancing drugs. Therefore, the NFL, as an employer, is free to ban them.

Yeah, agreed that the ancillary consequences will certainly be the tale of the tape as to what the FOs decide to do with the player, but part of my point is that if you are St. Louis who just spent the 2nd overall pick on Robinson and he's given essentially the green light to use marijuana, and the above mentioned statement comes true a couple years later, wouldn't that frustrate you as a fan?? To know the team was so bad it had a 2nd overall pick (which in this case was actually the Redskins' pick but you get my point) only to have that player struggle with being in game shape and staying focused and motivated during the season to play at that truly elite level necessary to win in the NFL?? And I'm just asking...I'm not trying to be the morals police here, I'm just asking how a typical fan would react in that case....can you see my point? ---without taking offense?

If you are a ST Lou fan, you should already be very sad that they drafted a LG with the 2nd overall pick when they really needed a star WR to help their awful offense.

If you can point to anything that suggests NFL players are getting stacks of get out of jail free cards, please do. I don't think they are letting them slide by the law. Any legal issues are the responsibility of law enforcement and the courts.

There are many, many employers who don't drug test. I have yet to be drug tested for a job.

You can repost this 1000 times, it won't be any more true. A doctor will not prescribe cocaone to a patient in this country. Nor would he prescribe "meth", as you envision it. Also, you need a prescription for medicinal weed use in states that allow it. The federal government is not enforcing the illegal status of weed for personal or medicinal use.

While generally correct, they actually will in extreme circumstances. Google "Brompton Cocktail". But people generally do not know this unless they are unfortunate enough to know someone who needed it. Pharmacies (at least some) keep some extraordinary pure cocaine on hand for such things.

Clearly you can see why cocaine and "meth" would fall under the category of performance enhancing drugs. Therefore, the NFL, as an employer, is free to ban them.

If you are a ST Lou fan, you should already be very sad that they drafted a LG with the 2nd overall pick when they really needed a star WR to help their awful offense.

But they signed Kenny Britt in FA! lol

Each employer has the right to set the standards for their employees. My employer (in NY but not anything government) has a zero tolerance for any drugs including alcohol with the exception of cigs (in designated outdoor areas). I imagine employers in Colorado can still forbid weed even though it is legal there just like mine forbids alcohol even though it is legal.

The NFL is their employer so they can determine what they will and will not allow. And also, Colorado has a NFL team and weed is legal even for recreation there. So for the Broncos at least it isn't a question of being above the law.

When you say forbids alcohol, you mean at all? Like no beers on the weekend?

Also, my company is heaquartered in co. And in a company wide round table the CEO said "no, not changing policy of preemployment screening despite legalization."

How long before cocaine violations are relaxed? It was once used for it's medicinal value as well.

This is a slippery slope.

prohibition is a slippery sloap as well.

I wouldn't compare what once grew accidentally in my back yard due to neighboring teenagers, to a product manufactured by cheap chemicals in hut in the jungle.