Syracuse.com/Post-Standard hiring a Bills writer

Hank

Hey everyone --

This is Hank Domin from syracuse.com/The Post-Standard. I reached out to many of you when trying to study the value of hiring someone to cover the Bills on a full-time basis. Thanks to everyone who corresponded with me.

Well, we've decided to go for it. Below is the job posting.

First, please email or DM me if you'd like to recommended someone who is qualified.

Second, start looking out for our coverage in about a month. We hope to be writing stuff you'll want to be reading. And I think there's a good chance our writer will be here to correspond with the posters.

Thanks,

Hank

--

The Syracuse Media Group (syracuse.com/Post-Standard) is seeking a Buffalo Bills beat reporter. We have a unique opportunity and we’re looking for a unique person.

Like other beat writers, you’ll be based in Buffalo and will attend home and road games, training camp, press conferences, etc. But while everyone is zigging, you’ll be zagging. You won’t be writing gamers and features. Your emphasis will be on our website, and you will tell stories in different ways. Stories fans want to read. Stories fans won’t find anywhere else. We have lots of ideas, and we want to hear yours.

This is a new position, and we’re not sure it’s permanent. For now it’s a full-time, temporary position. The pay is good, though there are no benefits during temporary status. You’ll work hard for seven months, from early July until the Super Bowl. Then we’ll evaluate how things worked out. Best case: Things go really well and we decide to make this a permanent job. Worst case: You have great clips covering an NFL team.

Send us your resume and links to your best work. Don’t bother linking to routine gamers or features. Send something that will make you stand out. Newspaper experience isn't required, but you should be able to demonstrate writing ability and web-style storytelling, especially in a unique way. And don’t waste time with a traditional cover letter. Just tell us in the email why you’d be a good candidate.

We’re moving quickly, so email Hank Domin (hdomin@syracuse.com) by Memorial Day (May 26) at the latest. No phone calls, please.

Syracuse Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

Great news. Look forward to seeing who you all get. Will there be a Syracuse.com app for the Bills similar to the one for the Orange Basketball team?! That would be a great idea.

Thanks a lot, Ryan. We've had discussions about an app similar to the one for the basketball team, but I don't think we'll have it ready for the summer. It is a great idea, though.