Can you imagine being a photographer or artist during WWII?

Beerball

Cool - I like his paintings, especially the one on deck.

This past weekend with Scouts my son and I stayed overnight on the battleship USS Massachusetts - really cool. We also attended a session where we saw a movie about the history of the ship and got to talk with and ask questions of a guy who had been on the ship when it was launched in 1942 and sailed with her during her entire career - he's 92 now and it was really neat to get to talk with him. The Greatest Generation is dying out, but so many of those folks are really interesting people - the things they can tell you about are fascinating - you could listen for hours about their experiences. I hope you were able to talk with your wife's uncle - he probably had some great stories to tell about his life.

I've always wondered about these war photograhers, esp. the ones who filmed D Day. It almost seems frivolous to be in the middle of all that to take pictures.

But, was it done to get "game film" or was it for historical purposes?

I'm thinking more the first with an eye to the 2nd?

His style's not my cup of tea (particularly his use of color), but it is rather good work. The Last Full Measure is rather haunting.

Very good (and I say that as an artist), his Chapel is very nice too. DC has the same opinion as I, so far as the colors, which don't seem to fit the subject (as compared to him not being good at color, he is definitely a good colorist). I would be interested in seeing work that isn't about the war, I am sure he must have done some.

I've always wondered about these war photograhers, esp. the ones who filmed D Day. It almost seems frivolous to be in the middle of all that to take pictures.

Actually, most often the reverse. I know in the Pacific theater commanders often went to significant lengths to get reporters and photographers to the scenes of battle for the historical record, particularly early on when campaigns were practically improvised and reporter pools weren't as well established.

And there's also a third reason: ego. I can think of some generals - MacArthur, Montgomery, Clark - who'd use reporter pools to build up their own personal image (think of MacArthur coming ashore at Leyte).

Actually, most often the reverse. I know in the Pacific theater commanders often went to significant lengths to get reporters and photographers to the scenes of battle for the historical record, particularly early on when campaigns were practically improvised and reporter pools weren't as well established.

And there's also a third reason: ego. I can think of some generals - MacArthur, Montgomery, Clark - who'd use reporter pools to build up their own personal image (think of MacArthur coming ashore at Leyte).

Wartime correspondents in general are either the ballsiest men and women on the planet, or the dumbest. But I'd totally do it -- which probably is evidence for the later...

Thanks - interesting info

Thanks - interesting info

I know Samuel Eliot Morrison was specifically commissioned as an officer to record the history of the US Navy in World War II (I have his official history on my bookshelf. It's huge - the index alone is a single, complete book). And I believe Nimitz issued some very specific orders with regards to getting Morrison out to sea for the Battle of Midway (I'm positive I read it somewhere, but I can't find the reference - too many damn books in my library.) The US military in general, and the Navy in particular, were very history-conscious.

There's also the fact, that few realize, that American GIs were more likely to possess cameras than soldiers of other nations (Germany's probably a close second). So there tends to be more unofficial US war photographs floating around.

I know Samuel Eliot Morrison was specifically commissioned as an officer to record the history of the US Navy in World War II (I have his official history on my bookshelf. It's huge - the index alone is a single, complete book). And I believe Nimitz issued some very specific orders with regards to getting Morrison out to sea for the Battle of Midway (I'm positive I read it somewhere, but I can't find the reference - too many damn books in my library.) The US military in general, and the Navy in particular, were very history-conscious.

There's also the fact, that few realize, that American GIs were more likely to possess cameras than soldiers of other nations (Germany's probably a close second). So there tends to be more unofficial US war photographs floating around.

Your last point is interesting and one I've never considered before. The past decade of warfare has been interesting for the public considering how much more raw, unedited visuals we're able to see thanks to everyone having a computer and camera in their pocket at all times now. YouTube has thousands of hours of footage of recent conflicts -- how much, if any, censorship still exists in the military regarding images? Do you happen to know?

Tom you are an intelligent and erudite poster. Thank you for filling us in with all of that, but more importantly, thank you to all of the servicemen and women who served and continue to serve for us. Beerball, that is an awfully proud part of your family history and I hope it is well written so the generations to come can look back upon it. Thank you for sharing that with us.