Hashtag

Any updates?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/07/boko-haram-kidnaps-wife-cameroon-vice-pm-2014727121842187354.html

The wife of Cameroon's vice prime minister, Amadou Ali, has been kidnapped and at least three other people have been killed in an attack by Boko Haram fighters on Ali's home in the northern town of Kolofata, officials have said.

A local religious leader and mayor, Seini Boukar Lamine, was also kidnapped in a separate attack on his home.

"I can confirm that the home of Vice Prime Minister Amadou Ali in Kolofata came under a savage attack from Boko Haram militants," Cameroon's information minister Issa Tchiroma told Reuters news agency on Sunday.

"They unfortunately took away his wife. They also attacked the lamido's (religious leader's) residence and he was also kidnapped," he said, adding that at least three people were killed in the attack.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shizt just got real.

"Association of Nigerian Witches & Wizards Declare War on Boko Haram"

“Witches and Wizards in Nigeria are deeply worried by what is going on in the country especially Boko Haram insurgency. As stakeholders in the Nigerian project, we can no longer afford to fold our hands while the nation burns. Enough is enough” Iboi said at the event.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/07/20/enough-is-enough-association-of-nigerian-witches-wizards-declare-war-on-boko-haram/

Of course there's nothing new on this. It has ceased to have co-opting PR value. In other words, if People magazine/TMZ sees no value, then neither do the Obamas. Besides the last thing Obama wants right now is another Muslim terrorist story. Especially one they can't turn into a "Look at my courageous stance! With no fear at all, I'm saying I'm against it!" story.

Obama has made his "courageous stance" known to the world, and has both self-congratulated, and taken the congratulation from the Hollywood Delta Bravos, at the last fund raiser. There's no place left to go on this.

Lord knows he isn't actually going to do something. However, if something covert is going on, and it succeeds? Obama will swoop in at the last minute and feign like he personally planned the operation, and didn't make them jump through unnecessary hoops solely to protect his own behind, just like last time.

Basically, there's about a 5% chance these girls don't turn up dead/mutilated.

But, by all means, let's hear about the "war on women" again! :lol:

Shizt just got real.

"Association of Nigerian Witches & Wizards Declare War on Boko Haram"

http://www.bellanaij...-on-boko-haram/

You know they're going to drag in the English Witches and Wizards before long. Hogwarts will very shortly be turned into a military camp.

So much for not escalating this matter to a world-wide conflagration.

So do you finally concede that hashtag awareness has as much relevance of a Gatorman post?

I don't think it's a point that I need to concede as it's not one that I was arguing (unless I missed something). I've been having as much fun with this topic as anyone and said multiple times the end game is awareness -- which isn't a solution by itself.

I'm just amazed that Witches and Wizards not only have political juice in Nigeria, but that they have an official association of Witches and Wizards. What's involved with gaining membership to that association? What happens to the ones who don't make the cut? Do they become scab Witches and Wizards?

I don't think it's a point that I need to concede as it's not one that I was arguing (unless I missed something). I've been having as much fun with this topic as anyone and said multiple times the end game is awareness -- which isn't a solution by itself.

I'm just amazed that Witches and Wizards not only have political juice in Nigeria, but that they have an official association of Witches and Wizards. What's involved with gaining membership to that association? What happens to the ones who don't make the cut? Do they become scab Witches and Wizards?

I thought the end game was getting the damn girls back?

This whole awareness BS is just that, BS. Ribbons, bracelets, hashtags. I think we're all aware of breast cancer so why a month if pink **** for the NFL?

HA! Seriously?? The end game was all these people getting their mugs out there. Starting worn Michelle. Could you imagine Barbara Bush doing that?

For me, absolutely. For 90% of the folks who used the hashtag, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought the "girls" were some canceled CW show...

This whole awareness BS is just that, BS. Ribbons, bracelets, hashtags. I think we're all aware of breast cancer so why a month if pink **** for the NFL?

Most times it is, hell 99% of the times it is. Other times it can be very powerful. For proof, look at the nineteen states with legalized gay marriage and how quickly that tide turned. Hashtags or bracelets alone didn't make that happen, but their ilk helped open the eyes of the electorate to the issue.

For me, absolutely. For 90% of the folks who used the hashtag, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought the "girls" were some canceled CW show...

Most times it is, hell 99% of the times it is. Other times it can be very powerful. For proof, look at the nineteen states with legalized gay marriage and how quickly that tide turned. Hashtags or bracelets alone didn't make that happen, but their ilk helped open the eyes of the electorate to the issue.

How many of those 19 states had gay marriage imposed upon them by judges and how many had it voted in directly by the electorate with their 'open eyes?'

How many of those 19 states had gay marriage imposed upon them by judges and how many had it voted in directly by the electorate with their 'open eyes?'

That's a valid question that I don't know the stats on. I'm sure someone does. But it's irrelevant to my larger point which is the majority of the country -- for the first time in its history -- favors marriage equality. It happened FAST if you compare it to other social issues, the speed of which I accredit to two factors: 1) People under 30, regardless of political affiliation, overwhelmingly support equality and 2) Social media's impact on the issue the past decade.

All that poppycock is to speak to Chef's point that awareness is BS. 99% of the time he's probably right, but sometimes awareness can create enough momentum to make an impact.

That's a valid question that I don't know the stats on. I'm sure someone does. But it's irrelevant to my larger point which is the majority of the country -- for the first time in its history -- favors marriage equality. It happened FAST if you compare it to other social issues, the speed of which I accredit to two factors: 1) People under 30, regardless of political affiliation, overwhelmingly support equality and 2) Social media's impact on the issue the past decade.

All that poppycock is to speak to Chef's point that awareness is BS. 99% of the time he's probably right, but sometimes awareness can create enough momentum to make an impact.

And the 99% that is filled with idiots and BS renders the other 1% useless.

According to Pew's interactive site, it looks like courts made it legal in 8 states and invalidated DOMA; 8 states and DC's legislatures passed laws; and 3 states in 2012 voted for it. It looks like voters in 30 states passed laws againt it with 28 still standing.

I'd agree w/ you on your factor 1, but don't buy it for SM w/ only 3 states having the citizens directly vote it in. Though interestingly courts are no longer the majority provider of it.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/06/25/same-sex-marriage-state-by-state/

So that women remember to go in and get checked out so they can detect it early and they can, you know, LIVE.

So that women remember to go in and get checked out so they can detect it early and they can, you know, LIVE.

Yup because woman are a huge demographic of the NFL. You'd think they'd promote guys getting prostrate exams wouldn't you. Why do you think they don't do that?

Yup because woman are a huge demographic of the NFL. You'd think they'd promote guys getting prostrate exams wouldn't you. Why do you think they don't do that?

Lots of women like football, what the hell are you talking about?