RB overload..

After FA signing of Dixon who will be the short yardage guy and most likely just a situational guy and Special teams guy as RB3, between Bryce Brown (whom the Bills seem to love considering trying to trade for him last yr) and CJ and Freddy, SOMETHING has got to happen... I cant see us coming into the season with all 4 of them. CJ and Freddy are both in last yr of contract and CJ was a 1st rounder and by far the most talented of the foursome and with style of O we run, even tho numbers dont show it, he is by far the best fit when healthy to be RB1A. Leaving Brown and Freddy to be the RB1B.

We can definitely afford to keep all 4 with us not being in a bad cap situation but this backfield seems overloaded... I know Titans made pre draft call to us and it was reported Whaley had no interest in trading CJ. I REALLY hope with addition of Brown that they trade or let CJ go after the yr.

If we do go through yr with all 4 cuz the team's slogan for yr will be "Playoffs or Bust". I just really hope we lock up CJ, he can tear up league is used right and if we dont keep him, someone will pay for him, and get a guy who will post top 5 RB numbers, especially with his ability as pass catcher.

Marrone and co. severely misused CJ last yr after very bold statements about him b4 yr "running him till he pukes". I know the ankle issue was probably huge part of it and for a guy like CJ, an ankle injury is the worst pssible injury for guy with his skill set which is plant and cutting really hard. He's not like Freddy who is more of a glider.

Someone will NOT be happy with their role this yr.... Dixon is used to be in backfield where there are alot of guys so he knows his role and will be key on ST.

I'm just very worried they misuse CJ and as much as i love Freddy's heart, he is in his 30's, had knee problems few times and was very a burner to begin with.

This regime wants to be put on franchise and have made some very ballsy moves and are gonna do it THEIR way... I just pray CJ is key part of it. After trading SJ13 and going the youth and criminal route at WR with additions of Mike Williams, last yr;s 2 early round WR in Woods and Goodwin and now with the gem of them all, Sammy Watkins (who even grew up a Bills fan).

On paper, CJ is much better fit to be lead guy in backfield with Bryce Brown being #2 and Dixon #3. I just dont see how Freddy fits in unless they are thinking they are worried about CJ staying healthy and Brown being the long term replacement if he has off yr or injury plagued yr again and they are fed up and let him walk (which would be WORSE than Lynch trade cuz we would get ZERO for him). I know we was not drafted by this regime and they seemed to have severe man crush on Bryce Brown who i've seen alot of in Philly but the guy also had a severe fumbling issue.

What do u guys think/ hope for? I know my opinion may not be well liked cuz alot of ppl on here seem to be huge Freddy guys but he is ALSO in last yr of deal and there is no way we re-sign both.....

RC

BILLS TO PLAYOFFS THIS YR!!!

CJ's value to the Bills may have increased exponentially with the OL seemingly fixed. He may well have his career season if kept around. The flip side, of course, is that as a free agent he may well be gone after this season.

The Bills game plan clearly is "the future is now." That being the case, you probably keep CJ. Freddie's trade value is minimal because of his age. But if someone is in dire need of a back who can likely come in and produce immediately, age notwithstanding, trade Freddie and add more draft picks for next year (love to get that number 1 back and I'm sure Whaley is working on it).

Except on this board people always under estimate Freddy and he somehow always surprises people. CJ had a down year he is an explosive talent. It makes no sense to move up for an explosive receiver and then let an explosive runner go.

Perhaps they are thinking about carrying an extra back because of injuries? We would never get the return on CJ that he is worth just hope we can resign him to a fair contract.

We got a poor return for Stevie, I would have held onto him longer just to see how the receivers play out. Would hate to have a few injuries, a drug infraction or something else weaken the position during camp.

Had we held onto Stevie longer in case he was needed I am sure some team will get hit with injuries / suspensions in training camp and we could have done just as well. Sorry to see him go.

CJ's value to the Bills may have increased exponentially with the OL seemingly fixed. He may well have his career season if kept around. The flip side, of course, is that as a free agent he may well be gone after this season.

The Bills game plan clearly is "the future is now." That being the case, you probably keep CJ. Freddie's trade value is minimal because of his age. But if someone is in dire need of a back who can likely come in and produce immediately, age notwithstanding, trade Freddie and add more draft picks for next year (love to get that number 1 back and I'm sure Whaley is working on it).

He would not net us anything close to a #1 but we added extra pick which could be a 3rd if SJ13 meets whatever figures they come up with. (really hoping he flourishes there, happy he gets to play at home and on great team and away from us).

Totally agree with upgrades in OL that this is yr if CJ can stay healthy, can have career yr which is why i hope they lock him up prior to yr and let him know they want him to stay in B-LO

Having 4 RBs may seem like an overload to some ppl who remember the Jauron years when he would ridiculously only keep two backs

The Bills are a run heavy team so it's no surprise they wanted depth at the position.

Edited by Max997

If they believe in CJ, they should move on an extension now. If he comes in and has a career year it is going to cost em. Personally, I think CJ is going to have a great year, 2012 numbers or better so......

They showed this past season they do not know HOW to use C.J. correctly. You can't just try and slam him in between the tackles.

I can't believe they didn't look at game film from the year before when Chan used him to perfection, IMO.

On WGR yesterday during the draft coverage, Joe B mentioned that what most likely will happen is that Anthony Dixon was brought on to take on FB and ST duties. He is more multi-purpose than Summers. I don't think Summer will make the team. Bryce Brown takes over the 3rd RB spot and will pick up any slack with Fred's age.

If they are gonna have four backs on the roster anyways why not these four? Last year the fourth string back saw some action, if it happens this year the talent is far better. FJ is on the last yr ofor his deal and CJ can opt out. Gives them some leverage with two players like Brown and Dixon waiting and under contract already.

They showed this past season they do not know HOW to use C.J. correctly. You can't just try and slam him in between the tackles.

I can't believe they didn't look at game film from the year before when Chan used him to perfection, IMO.

Don't use Spiller hurt.

It is not overloaded. It seems likely we're going to see a lot of 2RB sets. Considering both CJ and Fred went down last season, it's not even overloaded if they don't use 2 back sets.

What makes you think that? 2 back sets? Because they never did it last year, so why not?

They will NOT use 2 back sets. Why not 3 back sets?

I see FJ/CJ getting the bulk of the carries. Brown being a way better Choice, and possible FJ replacement next year. Dixon a special teams/special situations guy. And Frank The Tank continuing to bowl people over for our guys and sometimes getting the ball and doing fun things with it.