Congrats to Michael Sam

Gugny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Michael Sam.

Hopefully a few people in this thread don't reproduce.

Amen. I don't know what's worse- the blatantly anti-gay people who make no bones about their stance or the ones who try and be more subtle about their outrage by saying stuff like, "who cares.. really,... there is not an instrument available that could measure my indifference on this.."

who cares.. really,... there is not an instrument available that could measure my indifference on this..

Really Dwight? Is that how you really feel? I know if there was a thread about pottery classes being offered in North Tonawanda next weekend, I myself would not take the time to open the thread and condescendingly tell everyone that I didn't care.

Amen. I don't know what's worse- the blatantly anti-gay people who make no bones about their stance or the ones who try and be more subtle about their outrage by saying stuff like, "who cares.. really,... there is not an instrument available that could measure my indifference on this.."

Really Dwight? Is that how you really feel? I know if there was a thread about pottery classes being offered in North Tonawanda next weekend, I myself would not take the time to open the thread and condescendingly tell everyone that I didn't care.

So it's wrong to not want to celebrate homosexuality? Youre embracing the very same behavior that you believe that you are defending against- the right to express one's opinons/feelings/stance on a topic openly. You are topping that (no pun intended) by assuming that anyone that doesnt agree with you is somehow anti-this or homophobic that....subtle/not so subtle....you've got it all figured out.

Someone has to be categorized and wrapped in a label because they disagree with you? Doesnt that make you guilty of the same exact thing?

Edited by filthymcnasty08

So it's wrong to not want to celebrate homosexuality? Youre embracing the very same behavior that you believe that you are defending against- the right to express one's opinons/feelings/stance on a topic openly. You are topping that (no pun intended) by assuming that anyone that doesnt agree with you is somehow anti-this or homophobic that....subtle/not so subtle....you've got it all figured out.

Someone has to be categorized and wrapped in a label because they disagree with you? Doesnt that make you guilty of the same exact thing?

I don't think "celebrate" is the right word. However, your opinion is just as valuable as anyone else on the board. Whether it is agreed with or not is why we have a board. if everyone felt the same about such important topics, we would have some really boring discussion on TSW.

I have gay, and married, uncles as does my wife. I have a number of gay friends. I could care less what their preferences are. They are great people who I am proud to call my family and friends. In my opinion, more people should open their eyes and see that we are all just people trying to get through life the best way we can and that gay people and straight people that do absolutely nothing to negatively impact your life or anyone else's life should be left to carry forth. Life with positivity is a lot better than dwelling on perceived negatives. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Its called freedom of speech. You dont have to like gay people or root for them in their endeavors. Personally i find it disgusting. But thats just my opinion. I dont believe NFL network should have showed him kissing his boyfriend. I found it quite offensive personally. But again thats my opinion and i am entitled to it. I dont hate gay people or Michael Sam. I just dont agree with his lifestyle or the media's insistence on making this a big story.

Kudos to Sam, and to anyone suggesting it's not a big deal, ask your gay friends how they feel (maybe they don't care, maybe they think it's been made too big of a deal -- many of mine are overwhelmed with joy). The biggest challenge he will face will be keeping this strictly about football. That is what will make a difference to future athletes like him. Celebrate the achievement for a day and then get to work.

I will say that staying in Missouri and working with Jeff Fisher probably gives him his best shot to do so. We'll see; the obvious question marks are still there and he has the weight of a community on his shoulders, but he'll do best to shrug those off and just compete his ass off.

Nobody is celebrating homosexuality, unless you've discovered the Rams' plans for rainbow alternate jersey day or something. They are celebrating the fact that this guy is combatting fear and stereotypes to play the biggest man's game in the country without having to hide who he is.

So...everyone has to be sympathetic towards his plight or else they're not evolved? Everyone wants the ability for one to be open about his preferences - yet want to squelch those that are openly not in favor of it (and carry the same exact right to feel that way and express their feelengs openly). Nice backdoor (no pun) assault on free speech!

Good luck Michael.....you wanted an even playing field....you got it......NFL locker rooms are brutal places especially for rookies of all sexual preferences. I'm all for your right to be there....as much as I am all for someone to openly object to it.

Everyone has the right to openly object to it and let the world know where they stand. It's a free country and if someone wants to deny themselves some friendships, business associations, compatriots... that's fine by me; I won't be the one limiting their experience of the world as it actually exists.

just weighing in with an opinion.. isnt this an opinion driven message board?,, but no problem..btw, do you know specifically where those pottery classes are being offered? i am into pottery..why "condescendingly " pick on pottery? Edited by dwight in philly

What is dis

Its called freedom of speech. You dont have to like gay people or root for them in their endeavors. Personally i find it disgusting. But thats just my opinion. I dont believe NFL network should have showed him kissing his boyfriend. I found it quite offensive personally. But again thats my opinion and i am entitled to it. I dont hate gay people or Michael Sam. I just dont agree with his lifestyle or the media's insistence on making this a big story.

What do you find disgusting ? I don't get it.

It is a big story because of people like you. You would have gay people not express themselves or live openly.

I think we all can agree on having no good use for pottery

What is dis

It is a big story because of people like you. You would have gay people not express themselves or live openly.

"no good use for pottery"?.. seems a little judgmental on your part.. i take it no one in your family is a potter? Edited by dwight in philly

I respect his accomplishment & look forward to Sam proving the haters wrong.

the problem with this thread is that is singles out one person for getting drafted at the end of the 7th round for his accomplishment, and anyone who calls him a tweener with limited skill / technique is now being called a "hater". We exactly are we celebrating as his "accomplishment"? And for the person like Dean Cain invoking the hater label, this is merely throwing gas on the fire. I could care less about his sexuality; I saw him play on a stacked Mizzou d in the SEC and came away unimpressed, so call me a hater if you like.

I watched the local news in St Louis last night and the drafting of Sam was the top story for the night. The channel I saw had a video of Sam on the phone taking the call from the Rams. They showed him and his friends celebrate, then he and his partner embraced and kissed. No mention of the other draft picks.

I supposed they had more on the rest of the Rams draft when they got to the actual sports segment the news.

The Rams better be ready for a lot of publicity, at least for awhile.

Is it okay for a straight player to kiss his girlfriend on camera when he's selected?

What is dis

It didn't bother me but if he's not comfortable with it for whatever reason, shouldn't that be okay?

In a free country where people are allowed to speak the language they want, to worship (or not) the god they want, and live the lifestyle they feel is best for them, others are allowed to disapprove.

IMO, it only crosses a line when people are not tolerant and respectful of those of whom they disapprove. And telling him that people like him are the reason it's a big deal is as disingenuous as it is disrespectful.

Edited by Campy

What is dis

Your reaction to his post is interesting. I am also someone who finds male homosexuality gross. Two men kissing is like watching someone eat their own puke. Why am I a bad guy if I get an upset stomach from seeing certain things. I suppose that some people should be forced to see or experience things that gross them out. Seems fair. I have the right to change the channel, and I often do. You need to realize that just like homosexuals that have zero control over their sexual orientation, their really are straight people in the world that can't control what grosses them out. Good luck on your request to promote one point of view while attacking all others to the contrary who are not "against" your core principal in the first place.

Listen I have had a bad expierence with a kilm

i hear ya! but like your bad experience with a kilm, lots of others have not had any , so dont judge one bad experience .. hope you didnt give pottery up because of it.. Edited by dwight in philly

I watched the local news in St Louis last night and the drafting of Sam was the top story for the night. The channel I saw had a video of Sam on the phone taking the call from the Rams. They showed him and his friends celebrate, then he and his partner embraced and kissed. No mention of the other draft picks.

I supposed they had more on the rest of the Rams draft when they got to the actual sports segment the news.

I would imagine. I would also imagine that round 4-7 picks do not get the top story on the evening news in a usual situation.

The other round 7 picks are not a story and are usually not a story, unless there is some kind of human interest element (guy was raised by donkeys, gets drafted; first NFL player from Antarctica gets drafted; guy who has never played football before gets drafted...).

The fact that there are other R7 picks is something that doesn't make much difference to people, and the fact that an openly gay player got drafted for the first time ever does make a difference to people - enough that even some who want to assert it's not a big deal, come here to comment on it!

The best way to show that it's not a big deal is to not contribute to the volume of commentary. I am not saying "shut up," I'm just saying that logically, those who do so are extending a conversation that they've already told everyone is useless -- and that makes no sense.

shhhhhh...freedom of speech is a fallacy. you can say anything you want. the aftermath may be more than you bargained for.

You can say anything you want, and anyone is free to call you a nuklzhead for it ;)

I would imagine. I would also imagine that round 4-7 picks do not get the top story on the evening news in a usual situation.

The other round 7 picks are not a story and are usually not a story, unless there is some kind of human interest element (guy was raised by donkeys, gets drafted; first NFL player from Antarctica gets drafted; guy who has never played football before gets drafted...).

The fact that there are other R7 picks is something that doesn't make much difference to people, and the fact that an openly gay player got drafted for the first time ever does make a difference to people - enough that even some who want to assert it's not a big deal, come here to comment on it!

The best way to show that it's not a big deal is to not contribute to the volume of commentary. I am not saying "shut up," I'm just saying that logically, those who do so are extending a conversation that they've already told everyone is useless -- and that makes no sense.

ok then! i will recommend you the next time they need a moderator.. you pass judgment on what is appropriate on an opinion based site.

You can say anything you want, and anyone is free to call you a nuklzhead for it ;)

it ain't rocket surgery