Great Draft so far by Whaley

they drafted the two safeties last year who didn't amount to much.

They didn't play much. Meeks was on IR for a fair chunk of the year. They still seem pretty high on Duke Williams.... I suppose we will find out in pre-season a bit more about what we have in those two guys. Just because 4th and 5th round guys don't start in year 1 does not necessarily mean that they won't amount to much.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! He looks stout against the run, good anticipation, gets downhill pretty fast. I love the special teams play half way through that video and I'm sure they will look to have him involved on special teams this year. A bit raw in coverage skills I think it's fair to say, but he doesn't give up on plays even when he looks beat and he chases backs down a couple of times in that video when he has maybe been a little out of position to start with.

I got to be honest, I didn't know who he was, but after seeing this video posted in his draft thread I was pleasantly surprised.He gets through traffic well and tries to blow up the opposition. He tries to really rip the ball from the ball carriers a lot.

6'7" TE's aren't red zone threats? Hasn't Chandler tied the franchise TD mark for TE's twice since he's been here?

Sure handed Scott? Yeah he strikes fear in opposing DC's. If you realky don't think we could use an upgrade at TE well then we're just not going to agree. As it stands now we have a bevy of smaller fast receivers and the one big guy we have is far from automatic.

I think trading SJ was the right move IF the coaches correctly interpret him as being a cancerous element for the team. I do not think he is but easily can be wrong on this as I am not in the lockerroom.

Trading him makes little football sense to me because though I agree he has not proven to be the definite go-guy you want for a #1WR (His overall #s as our statistically leading WR for several seasons consistently at the 1000 yard mark and in particular his impressive work against Darelle REvis are real and very good to me) show he must be accounted for by opponents.

I think folks who for some reason feel he is redundant due to Watkins make the mistake that why yes you can only have 1 QB, you can have two productive WRs on the field at the same time.

I feel like we will miss an opportunity as both Watkins and SJ demanded a double team (he has demonstrated that even a great CB like a Revis needed help. Williams/Woods need to prove they are that good.

The problem with SJ is that he needs to freelance to get open. He doesn't have tremendous speed but he is cunning and elusive. Fitz, for all his shortcomings, seemed to have developed a rapport with Stevie and knew where he was going even when he wasn't running the play exactly as designed. EJ, being a rookie, never developed that ability. Maybe EJ would never figure SJ out. SJ may do great with the 9ers. I don't think he would have ever been great again with the Bills.

Surrounding a young QB with a group of young WRs who can grow together makes a lot of sense.

Sure handed Scott? Yeah he strikes fear in opposing DC's. If you realky don't think we could use an upgrade at TE well then we're just not going to agree. As it stands now we have a bevy of smaller fast receivers and the one big guy we have is far from automatic.

Watkins is 6'1", Williams is 6'2" and Woods is 6'0" I wouldn't call them small considering most CBs are 5'11" or smaller

Oh we definitely could, I just dont see it as pressing a need as most other people

Edited by matter2003

The problem with SJ is that he needs to freelance to get open. He doesn't have tremendous speed but he is cunning and elusive. Fitz, for all his shortcomings, seemed to have developed a rapport with Stevie and knew where he was going even when he wasn't running the play exactly as designed. EJ, being a rookie, never developed that ability. Maybe EJ would never figure SJ out. SJ may do great with the 9ers. I don't think he would have ever been great again with the Bills.

Surrounding a young QB with a group of young WRs who can grow together makes a lot of sense.

I agree with most of what you said. I think EJ had his hands full just being a Rookie QB. He and Stevie would have developed a rapport, but it would have taken a couple more years for that to happen, I think. By then Stevie would be 30, so the trade made sense.

Elite WR who will be the best pure talent since Andre...

<snip>

Bottom line Whaley has done a hell of a job and I am really looking forward to seeing what this Team can do this year!

:thumbsup:

What 3-4 package? Schwartz doesn't run a hybrid defense

The difference with Kiko was he was drafted to be an immediate starter but Brown at best will be a backup which they needed but not in third round when there were other players available that would provide more of an impact.

And what happens if Spikes plays well and is given an extension? They would hv used a high third round pick on a guy that would never be more then a backup for them

First round picks are expected to be starters on just about any team. In the second round, the lousier teams want a starter and the better teams have guys drafted that may or may not be starters. I don't think any team expects any player drafted in the third round to be a starter right away and everyone of them are basically depth guys, especially the first year. A back up LB is a very valuable player, especially if he is good on ST. Before this pick, the Bills backups were Bradham and Ty Powell. Brown can play two different positions.

I'm not saying he is going to be good. I only know the profile reports. But a backup Lb is surely one of the need spots. You only hope a third round pick turns into a starter.

Watkins is 6'1", Williams is 6'2" and Woods is 6'0" I wouldn't call them small considering most CBs are 5'11" or smaller.

In today's NFL that's average. Big, tall and fast is how things are going with receivers and TE's. That's why I covered Evans, Niklas, etc. But we'll see how it goes with our wideouts and if our TE by committee works out. Hope so!

Not too excited about downtown Preston Brown.

Don't have to be. Thanks to rivers and spikes pick ups, he has time to learn.

Watkins is 6'1", Williams is 6'2" and Woods is 6'0" I wouldn't call them small considering most CBs are 5'11" or smaller

During the last giants Super Bowl run, I was shocked at the size of Manninham, Nicks and Cruz. I just expected they we all super tall based on how big they played.

Turns out they were all 6 ft. Because they can catch away from their bodies, particularly nicks, they were huge targets.

If Watkins can do this too, which I expect, woods has shown flashes, and certainly Williams is the biggerer and longer of the 3.... Is reasonable to expect the bills WR corp to present much bigger targets for EJ this year.

In today's NFL that's average. Big, tall and fast is how things are going with receivers and TE's. That's why I covered Evans, Niklas, etc. But we'll see how it goes with our wideouts and if our TE by committee works out. Hope so!

True, but Watkins and Williams both play bigger than that...Williams cause is he is physical and attacks the ball like a pit bull in the air against the DB almost like he is boxing them out for a rebound in basketball, and Watkins cause he has exceptional leaping ability and a unique ability to get the ball at its highest point that really can't be taught...

Johnson was also 6'1 or 6'2" but played like he was 5'10" or 5'11"...

Edited by matter2003

First round picks are expected to be starters on just about any team. In the second round, the lousier teams want a starter and the better teams have guys drafted that may or may not be starters. I don't think any team expects any player drafted in the third round to be a starter right away and everyone of them are basically depth guys, especially the first year. A back up LB is a very valuable player, especially if he is good on ST. Before this pick, the Bills backups were Bradham and Ty Powell. Brown can play two different positions.

I'm not saying he is going to be good. I only know the profile reports. But a backup Lb is surely one of the need spots. You only hope a third round pick turns into a starter.

What you hear from the ex coaches and GMs (i.e. the "experts") is that they want three starters from the draft. It doesn't mean immediate starter but they want at least 3 guys who will become solid starters for their squad.

The problem fans have is that they see a "need" on the team and want to target it but you can't do that once you get deeper in the draft. You just have to target the BPA and hope he develops into a guy that will be a quality starter down the line.

Green but here is the thing ALL of them are very physical and can get open and not drop balls. All have Good and in watkins and Goodwins case Great speed. I still have faith in Chandler and our backups at TE

What you hear from the ex coaches and GMs (i.e. the "experts") is that they want three starters from the draft. It doesn't mean immediate starter but they want at least 3 guys who will become solid starters for their squad.

The problem fans have is that they see a "need" on the team and want to target it but you can't do that once you get deeper in the draft. You just have to target the BPA and hope he develops into a guy that will be a quality starter down the line.

And the great thing MDH is we drafted 2 'right now' starters and one that may be one in situations

Not as optimistic that this is a great draft. Concerned about Whaley's decisions as he is giving up more than the position or player is worth with picks and trades. The only pick that would be a value was Cyrus, assuming his knees are ok. If not FUBAR.