RD3, Pick #73: Preston Brown ILB, Louisville

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted a LDE but I trust Whaley and we do need someone to take over for Spikes (but we needed a LDE now also could have used Nix at DT so if Dareus is suspended we'd be covered). Regardless, here are some scouting reports on Preston Brown:

Nat'l Football Post:

Preston Brown – Linebacker

Brown is a fourth-year senior and a three-year starter. He has excellent size, speed, and athleticism. I estimate his size at 6’2 – 255 and he runs in the 4.75-4.80 range. He is a good athlete to go along with good strength and explosion. He flashes being a playmaker and can be physically tough at the point of attack.

Sportsline:

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: He's a stoutly-built athlete but possesses a dynamic first-step for his size, and displays explosiveness downhill when closing on the line of scrimmage. He's an extremely physical but fundamentally-sound tackler who prides himself on tackling hard and violent. He recognizes and anticipates the run well, particularly between the tackles, and is an effective angler when pursuing the run to the outside.

Just going back over initial reactions on Preston Brown. I didn't know if it was just coach speak saying he might be playing Kikos role. Seems like a great pick up at this point.

GO Preston!

What a great pick by Whaley now that Alonso is done. A lot of us were scratching our heads when they took Brown in the 3rd but it has payed off.

He has looked great in OTAs per reports. They said they envisioned him being able to play ever LB spot & he has just become the front runner to win the WLB spot.

Louisville was the best defense in the nation so he obviously can play. Let's hope that Spikes, Rivers, and Alonso can get him up to speed

quucklu5

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 4m

Here's the pre-draft scouting report on I did on Preston Brown for my 2014 Draft Positional Rankings Project ---> http://bit.ly/1jhwP8y

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 1m

After reading those notes, you'll notice there's a lot of Kiko Alonso to Preston Brown's game. Fast, tenacious and sometimes overaggressive.