If I am the new owner of the Buffalo Bills..............

and I don't have a first round pick in my first draft (2015) then I am not going to be happy unless the reason I don't have a first round pick is because someone traded it for a player drafted this year that helped get the Bills to the playoffs. For this reason I doubt the Bills will move up unless they can do some fancy creative dealing that involves a player or two that is presently on the roster (read SJ and/or CJ).

Basically I believe this management/coaching team is auditioning for the new owner. They need to win now. Less than the playoffs this year and it probably will cost them their jobs. There really are no excuses. This team is poised to do some damage and is better than any team we have had since the early 90's. They better get this draft right and I believe they will.

Edited by bmur66

and I don't have a first round pick in my first draft (2015) then I am not going to be happy unless the reason I don't have a first round pick is because someone traded it for a player drafted this year that helped get the Bills to the playoffs. For this reason I doubt the Bills will move up unless they can do some fancy creative dealing that involves a player or two that is presently on the roster (read SJ and/or CJ).

Basically I believe this management/coaching team is auditioning for the new owner. They need to win now. Less than the playoffs this year and it probably will cost them their jobs. There really are no excuses. This team is poised to do some damage and better than any team we have had since the early 90's. They better get this draft right and I believe they will.

So the current Bills FO should fear a new owner, who hasn't even been determined yet, and therefore draft for this unknown owner?

I'm sorry, but that makes little sense.

The Bills FO has been working on this draft since before Ralph Wilson passed away and they will draft according to what they believe the current team needs to build a winner.

If I was the new owner and there was any trade up in the 1st, it would mean an automatic fire for the FO soon after I took over the team. Of course it would probably happen anyway. No geniuses have exposed themselves there in the past decade.

This team is poised to do some damage and is better than any team we have had since the early 90's. They better get this draft right and I believe they will.

LOL

The only damage that this team is going to do this season is to the front office, Marrone, and to Wilson's legacy.

It hasn't improved since last year. Keep in mind, the Bills aren't drafting by themselves, other teams are involved in the process as well. It'll take Brady's retirement before we ever "do any damage" to the Pats. The Jets have enough draft picks for two teams including three 4th rounders.

I do think the FO is feeling pressure to keep their jobs.

When the new owner comes in, they are going to clean house. I bet Russ and co. are gone within a year, and Marrone too if he isn't winning.

Unfortunate, especially if we lose marrone, but that's just the way it is.

It's been shown scientifically that trading up to #1 never works out for the team moving up, but it's terrific for the team moving down. Trading up out of a sense that something drastic has to be done to prove something is a fireable offense if I owned a team.

The new owner is probably going to be giddy about owning the team and having his way and could easily want to make a big splash in free agency, also willing to spend a little more money because he wants to win and be the hero. Kind of like Pegula did, even though he had the wrong guy spending all the money. So it may not be a bad idea to trade next years #1 if the player drafted is a stud like Watkins. Because we can replace our #1 with a top FA.

I think because there will be a new owner that there is pressure to win NOW. A new owner isn't going to come in and change things if we make the playoffs but would probably clean house if we go 6-10. If the FO thinks Clowney or Watkins is going to get us in the playoffs this year then they will do whatever it takes to make it happen

When the new owner comes in, they are going to clean house. I bet Russ and co. are gone within a year, and Marrone too if he isn't winning.

i'd like to believe that this would happen -- mainly with brandon, not so much with marrone (yet) -- but am not entirely convinced. i could totally see pegula being slow to the trigger as long as they win more than 4 games.

still, given the ownership uncertainty i wouldn't be surprised at all if the current regime took a moonshot. if it paid off and the team made the playoffs, they'd be viewed as geniuses. might be tough to drop the ax on the dudes who finally ended the playoff drought.

I'm with PTR. Pick where you pick. An easy example for #2 is RG3. Yes he's a good QB, but he's not Luck. They gave up way too much for the pick. The Redskins will suffer for this decision for years.

I'd love Clowney, but we'd have to give up way too much. Now if Houston went with Mack, and St. Louis went with Robinson which is possible, then trading with the Jags for Clowney for our 2nd to get Clowney I would do all day long. This won't happen, but hypothetically I would do it.

That would be one bad as@ defensive line. On NFL R audio this morning it was mentioned the two ways to go deep in the playoffs seems to be a HOF QB, or a bad as@ defensive line. Just looking back at SB winners, you have Brees, Rogers, Rothlesberger, Brady, and Manning winning, and then you have Seattle and the G Men crushing defensive front as SB winners.

I think you can be sure they'll be on the street looking for a new job if they do a trade up RGIII style. That said based on last year I'd trust Whaley to be a trade down get more picks kinda guy.

I'm not an NFL gm, so take this however you want.

IMO, the draft isn't about skill alone, its about probability of hitting with your picks. Obviously skill evaluations help you try to determine if a player will be good, but they aren't absolute.

You can't convince me that you have a better chance of hitting with the first pick than you do with a handful of picks in the first three rounds. No way.

I believe that the management team has a long term plan to build and maintain a contender. To suggest that their motivation is otherwise is not right and you do them a great injustice.

This is a great take. It's business as usual, regardless of the pending change in ownership. Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone set out a plan of action last year and they are gonna stick to it. To think their strategy has changed based on nothing but unknowns does them a great injustice indeed. You just can't manage a team that way. The FO and coaches need to conduct themselves in nothing other than a business as usual approach. Everything else is out of their control.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not an NFL gm, so take this however you want.

IMO, the draft isn't about skill alone, its about probability of hitting with your picks. Obviously skill evaluations help you try to determine if a player will be good, but they aren't absolute.

You can't convince me that you have a better chance of hitting with the first pick than you do with a handful of picks in the first three rounds. No way.

Oh, it's about skill all right. Especially at the top of the draft. In a draft as deep as this one, the skill is more spread out over the early rounds for sure, though, like you suggest.

GO BILLS!!!

A new owner probably means a new defensive scheme, the 5th in 5 years. And you wonder why the Bills are 6-10?

LOL

The only damage that this team is going to do this season is to the front office, Marrone, and to Wilson's legacy.

It hasn't improved since last year. Keep in mind, the Bills aren't drafting by themselves, other teams are involved in the process as well. It'll take Brady's retirement before we ever "do any damage" to the Pats. The Jets have enough draft picks for two teams including three 4th rounders.

Brady is in decline and I don't think the *Pats are as formidable as everyone makes them out to be. As for the Jets, I don't care if they have 20 picks. They are not a great drafting team.

Basically I believe this management/coaching team is auditioning for the new owner. They need to win now. Less than the playoffs this year and it probably will cost them their jobs. There really are no excuses. This team is poised to do some damage and is better than any team we have had since the early 90's. They better get this draft right and I believe they will.

I really hate when drastic changes are made before there is a sample size large enough to make an informed opinion... If the Bills miss the playoffs and Whaley is **** canned, I think that will be a huge mistake. Clearly, if the sample size for Whaley isn't large enough to can him, it can't be large enough to endorse him- but I like the direction he has this team going...