Grantland.com Q&A with John Urschel

If he's got the physical skills - the smarts are a great asset

Awhile back espn did a feature on one of Stanford's guys (don't recall if he was listed on the coaching side or as a third string long snapper but a kid that's athletic but not good enough to play) that has a perfect photographic memory and can recall ridiculous situational information.... Not exact examples but hypothetically things like like what play the opponent ran on 3rd and 1 at the 27 yard line a month prior, or exact play sequences matched up to calls and signals (ie like the pats camera efforts but without the camera and processing incredibly accurate in real time). He struck me as a great target to bring into an organization even as a college kid.

I know it's not always popular to say but there's a lot of probability and pattern recognition that goes beyond being a football guy that can trust his gut. Cool stuff.

Edited by NoSaint

Interesting interview, but the most interesting part is that it was conducted by a guy with a PhD in chemical engineering (from Stanford, no less) who runs a sports analytics website. I'd like to ask him some questions.

I didn't catch that in my Stanford comments above-

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Stanford-Footballs-Secret-Weapon-a-Beautiful-Mind-232608251.html

Here's a quick article on Conor McFadden, the one I was referencing. There are a lot of good football minds out there.... Hopefully one of them ends up being our Ernie Adams. It's a valuable organizational culture to have and one of the things I'm happiest about OBD embracing (though I sometimes question the judgement calls and risk assessments we have)