Don't be shocked to see Mack go #1

invisible because teams double/ triple teamed him and never ran to his side. ohio state didn't do this because they under estimated him and over estimated their tackle play. learn how to football man

So a guy who the MAC could neutralize with a TE in double team should be the number 1 pick in the draft?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I know it's the MAC and all, but it's not like their players are toddlers.

lol

Perhaps WEO should direct that question toward 32 NFL scouting departments and assorted draftniks, not this board.

But I will also say that even when an offense expends a double team on a player, it is usually a tremendous advantage for the defense. Minus the QB, it then pits 8 offensive players against 10 defenders. But the unblocked guys have to make the play.

No chance anyone would take a player from the MAC #1...oh wait. Not since 2013 anyways.

lol

Perhaps WEO should direct that question toward 32 NFL scouting departments and assorted draftniks, not this board.

But I will also say that even when an offense expends a double team on a player, it is usually a tremendous advantage for the defense. Minus the QB, it then pits 8 offensive players against 10 defenders. But the unblocked guys have to make the play.

Teams always will double up on the other team's best defender. Does it alway neutralize that player? A top pick in the draft type player? I'm asking because many here are dismissing the contention that he disappeared in some games was because he was double teams. Lots of guys draw double teams.

I got a feeling that Mack will be just an average player. Everyone talks about the Ohio St game, which was great but I watched three of his games against teams in the MAC and he was invisible. Now that isn't enough games to fully judge a player but until he proves it in the NFL I'm skeptical.

I agree BB. When I watched him play, I didn't see anything special.

Teams always will double up on the other team's best defender. Does it alway neutralize that player? A top pick in the draft type player? I'm asking because many here are dismissing the contention that he disappeared in some games was because he was double teams. Lots of guys draw double teams.

When the ball is snapped, your draft status means zero. I simply don’t agree with the premise that Mack even disappeared at all. He always had to be contended with. To demand results on the stats sheet at game’s end is to ignore how the game is played on the field.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

When the ball is snapped, your draft status means zero. I simply don’t agree with the premise that Mack even disappeared at all. He always had to be contended with. To demand results on the stats sheet at game’s end is to ignore how the game is played on the field.

Go watch how the game was played on the field in his last bowl game then.

He's a great player, no doubt. But the idea that all 32 teams would take him as the number 1 pick makes little sense.

I got a feeling that Mack will be just an average player. Everyone talks about the Ohio St game, which was great but I watched three of his games against teams in the MAC and he was invisible. Now that isn't enough games to fully judge a player but until he proves it in the NFL I'm skeptical.

I'm just not feeling you or the people who say similar things. Mack projects out well as a hugely productive LB in the NFL and probably a *great* LB as long as he stays healthy. It will be interesting to look back at this draft 7-10 years from now. I mean the guy is #1 all time in FBS football in forced fumbles. In addition, his career stats handily beat a guy like Von Miller's in terms of solo tackes, tackles for loss, assists, FF, passes defended, INT's, etc.. except he falls 5 sacks short of Miller overall.

Mack's pro day 40 matches Clowney (4.53) plus he beat Clowney's numbers at the combine in vertical jump, broad jump and bench press. Now don't get me wrong, Clowney is 15 lbs heavier and freakishly fast with longer arms but Khalil Mack should be awesome in the NFL. Don't let it blur your vision because he played in some Tuesday night games at an empty Kent State or Miami (OH) or wherever.

Go watch how the game was played on the field in his last bowl game then.

He's a great player, no doubt. But the idea that all 32 teams would take him as the number 1 pick makes little sense.

First of all, you are putting words into my mouth, and you have cast a lot of doubt in this very thread as to how great a player he really is. I never said all 32 teams would take him #1. I said I thought Houston would, because as a 3-4 LB, I think he fits what they do more than Clowney, a 4-3 DE.

And my whole point is really that no NFL team will have justification for doing what SD State was able to do to Mack in the Idaho Bowl game. They doubled, tripled, and made damn sure he was not going to make plays to beat them. Credit to their coaches; too bad UB was grossly outschemed (something Quinn is famous for in my mind) and had no answers from other defenders. And the Bulls couldn't move the ball on offense all day, either.