Man, this team has had some lousy drafts!!

I was looking over the NFL Draft History. I thought I'd have another look at the Rams 2000 draft, which at the time I thought was the worst, most pompous draft in history. Martz liked to show his brilliance at the draft.

But then I started going through the Bills drafts since then. Wow, it's no wonder we never make the playoffs. We traded up in the first to get Losman, and then McCargo. Who does that? We took Aaron Maybin in the first!! Erik Flowers!! There are so many whiffs, it's awesome.

But the last couple have been pretty productive. Let's hope they don't screw this up. I know that there are egos involved in keeping things secretive, and pulling surprises. But it seems that our new GM knows what he's doing.

Hope so.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EJ has the potential to be a star. We need to keep him on his feet.

Yeap. They need to give him a shot this season. If injuries or play continue to be a problem then we need to make a quick move.

In this league you don't need 3-4 years to make a decision on a player. With the new rookie wage scale you can move on much more easily.

We traded up in the first to get Losman, and then McCargo. Who does that? We took Aaron Maybin in the first!! Erik Flowers!!

I wasn't asking "Who does that" during those drafts. I was just asking "Who?"

Depends on your definition of lousy. Every team has had their great share of busts. Bills have also drafted a nice handful of outstanding players. I'm not excusing the playoff drought, but your statement is overly broad.

Edited by Max Fischer

The Rams were the worst under Martz. They drafted a guy in the 4th named Travis Scott from Arizona (2000). Nobody on ESPN could find anything on the guy. You could hear papers shuffling, silence. Turns out Martz went down to look at another guy, and found Scott. Thought he looked good. Drafted him. That same year they were bragging that they found a long snapper that they guaranteed nobody had ever heard of. And then they drafted him. Why draft a guy than nobody else has ever heard of? Sign him afterward.

Depends on your definition of lousy. Every team has had their great share of busts. Bills have also drafted a nice handful of outstanding players. I'm not excusing the playoff drought, but your statement is overly broad.

I just looked at ours since 2000. Some really awful drafts. Lately we have done better. I never stop watching, though. Bills 4 ever.

The Rams were the worst under Martz. They drafted a guy in the 4th named Travis Scott from Arizona (2000). Nobody on ESPN could find anything on the guy. You could hear papers shuffling, silence. Turns out Martz went down to look at another guy, and found Scott. Thought he looked good. Drafted him.

Same thing happened when Buffalo selected TJ Graham. TJ who?

BTW...your avatar is terrifying.

In your opinion. Don't get me wrong I quite like Aaron Murray, but in the front office's opinion EJ Manuel could be that guy.

Completely agree and BTW I have not yet given up on EJ. His health issues are a big concern though. Murray is like a Drew Brees.

When I saw the name of this thread, at first I was wondering what team you were going to be referring to. Many teams have had several years of bad drafts. Even the Patriots have had some notoriously bad drafts.

I will admit, the Bills have pulled some bone headed moves in recent history. And you forgot TJ Graham when mentioning recent questionable draft choices.

And those outstanding players tend to go on to other teams. As bad as the Bills' drafts have been (and which has been slightly mitigated by notable successes with undrafted players), it's as much a contributing factor that the Bills have effectively been the league's farm team for a decade-plus.

I was looking over the NFL Draft History. I thought I'd have another look at the Rams 2000 draft, which at the time I thought was the worst, most pompous draft in history. Martz liked to show his brilliance at the draft.

But then I started going through the Bills drafts since then. Wow, it's no wonder we never make the playoffs. We traded up in the first to get Losman, and then McCargo. Who does that? We took Aaron Maybin in the first!! Erik Flowers!! There are so many whiffs, it's awesome.

But the last couple have been pretty productive. Let's hope they don't screw this up. I know that there are egos involved in keeping things secretive, and pulling surprises. But it seems that our new GM knows what he's doing.

Hope so.

Your kidding right? This is a recent revelation. Once Butler left for San Diego, our FO has sucked until Boss Hog. I know a bunch of you didn't like Buddy Nix, but he brought in a number of durable free agents, some very good hits in the draft, and yes some misses, but then Whaley has been even better.

The greatest loss to this team was Bill Polian. This was Mr. Wilson's largest blunder. He allowed the tension between his daughter and Polian cloud his judgment.

I don't mean to be short with you, but bad FO decisions from Donahoe on, have caused bad hires for coaches, bad draft choices, bad decisions in free agency and hence no playoffs in 14 years.

This is the reason to be excited as we finally have some decent football people on charge and how it takes years to get out of the hole with the least talented team in the league a few years ago.

http://www.history.buffalobills.com/Pro+Bowl+Selections+(By+Year)

Pro Bowl selections for this team post-Donahoe is a pretty narrow list. If that isn't emblematic of some poor drafting then nothing is.

And to an earlier point, two of their Pro Bowl selections (Byrd and Peters) were permitted to sign elsewhere, one (Lynch) was traded and another signed via UFA (Mario). That leaves Kyle Williams and C.J. Spiller as the only Pro Bowlers drafted since 2006. Not good.