What do Illinois and Connecticut have in common

Beerball

EII is likely also a factor.

I am surprised Michigan was not on that list. And I just cannot believe Ohio is not tops. The economy and all...plus, well, I imagine those in the rural and outside of the city are happy.

And Texas being that high? Wow. People like Texas? My brother doesn't care much for it and he is the most easy to please simple dude. He does live in Plano, though.

EII is likely also a factor.

It so bad I want to move away from myself! ;-p

The problem is Illinois is so damn flat and level... It would be nice if there were some hills. I didn't read the article, but heard about it... I wonder why CT is up there... Seems nice there...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I didn't read the article, but heard about it... I wonder why CT is up there... Seems nice there...

Apparently you missed the Buffalo Bill reference?

In seriousness, like any other state CT has its pluses and minuses. I would guess that property value and taxes have a say as well as rundown cities.

Apparently you missed the Buffalo Bill reference?

In seriousness, like any other state CT has its pluses and minuses. I would guess that property value and taxes have a say as well as rundown cities.

Shockingly, for all its redeeming qualities (robust geography), New England is a struggle (high cost of everything) for many to live in... Quite a rat race, I guess you can say that about a lot of cities... IMO, the Northeast and up through Boston is unbearable (again, from what I have seen). I find it more enjoyable in Upstate New York, Northern New England (my sister lives on the edge of the Northeast Kingdom of VT, close to the QUE line)... I would probably murder somebody if I had to live within 100 miles of Boston.

It so bad I want to move away from mys-p

The problem is Illinois is so damn flat and level... It would be nice if there were some hills. I didn't read the article, but heard about it... I wonder why CT is up there... Seems nice there...

i Had a conversation about this subject the other day. He was from PA. We both agreed NC is the perfect place to live if you just got rid of all of the NC residents who were born here. The climate, land, location, and variety of events and things to do is amazing. There are just too many backward narrow minded rednecks who think camouflage is a fashionable in all seasons, mudding should be an Olympic sport and being ignorant and uneducated is acceptable.

Woo-hoo!!! Top 2 baby!! :thumbsup:

Biggest problem with leaving my area, there aren't many other places that compare to the the NYC job market aside from other big cities that are just as expensive. And the south is probably too much culture shock -- wife wouldn't go for that. Will re-evaluate once the kids are out of college.

Edited by KD in CT

Biggest problem with leaving my area, there aren't many other places that compare to the the NYC job market aside from other big cities that are just as expensive. And the south is probably too much culture shock -- wife wouldn't go for that. Will re-evaluate once the kids are out of college.

That's the nice thing about the Chicago area (and not the overcrowded effing North side/'burbs)... IMO, things aren't expensive... Especially housing if you live in the right area. Very nice housing and areas for under 200k... Heck, if you don't mind living places with a little crime (usual breakins, whatever), you can find houses under 50 grand.... 50k? Oh my, that's a car payment. Of course with cost comes convenience and a smaller commute. Heck, I know people who have lived in South Bend or Michigan and commuted in to Illinois. Yet, you can still live 30-40 miles from the city and get acres of land and nice digs for a fraction of the cost of other places. The big campaign here is by Indiana. A lot of billboards read: "Illiannoyed yet? Come to a state that works." LoL...

The half wanting to leave Illinois are looking to follow me here to CT. The half looking to leave CT want to leave due to the influx of lowlifes from Illinois.

My experience so far is that CT lacks soul. People seem not to feel very connected and passionate about the geography in the way they are in areas like Buffalo or even big cities like LA and Chicago. It's more like a functional connection here as in I live here because of my job and that is it. I get it that people have left Buffalo / WNY but often you see it is because there was not an option for them to stay. Here in CT you get the feeling that once people leave they don't come back, period.

Fairfield county is also the land of extremes. Either you have a lot of money here or you are poor. The middle seems to be missing. As a result you do get an air of classism to the place.

My experience so far is that CT lacks soul. People seem not to feel very connected and passionate about the geography in the way they are in areas like Buffalo or even big cities like LA and Chicago. It's more like a functional connection here as in I live here because of my job and that is it. I get it that people have left Buffalo / WNY but often you see it is because there was not an option for them to stay. Here in CT you get the feeling that once people leave they don't come back, period.

I think that's because we're located between two major metropolitan areas and have very weak cities. Fairfield County sees itself as an extension of New York, the eastern shoreline has a real New England feel, and the I-84 corridor is pretty much a cultural and business wasteland. Consequently, people may feel connected to and passionate about their specific community, but there's very little statewide identify.

The one exception occurs if UCONN makes an NCAA run, which highlights the importance of sports on a region's identify. Part of the cultural split of CT is in the sports: it's a pretty even split between Yankees/Giants vs. Red Sox/Pats. Obviously no teams of our own. And to bring that back to Buffalo, how much of WNY's identify is tied up in the Bills and how much would be lost if they moved away?

Edited by KD in CT

Obviously no teams of our own. And to bring that back to Buffalo, how much of WNY's identify is tied up in the Bills and how much would be lost if they moved away?

You raise an interesting question and I agree the Bills and to a much lessor extent the Sabres help to define the fabric of life in Buffalo /WNY. However, New Jersey is in much the same situation as CT and there are people very passionate about living there. I would also say New Jersey has a culture if not an attitude. CT seems like it would just wither and die without NYC. The state is largely hollow and without an identity. Perhaps unfair in that this describes Fairfield county and not the rest of the state.

You raise an interesting question and I agree the Bills and to a much lessor extent the Sabres help to define the fabric of life in Buffalo /WNY. However, New Jersey is in much the same situation as CT and there are people very passionate about living there. I would also say New Jersey has a culture if not an attitude. CT seems like it would just wither and die without NYC. The state is largely hollow and without an identity. Perhaps unfair in that this describes Fairfield county and not the rest of the state.

I'd say it describes the rest of the state more than FC. At least down here there's plenty of money and that provides community and cultural attractions. One of the reasons I like it here is the endless array of things to do for kids. But again, things are largely isolated within communities, with identities being set at the town level rather than region or state-level, though Stamford has certainly become more of a regional center in the past 10 years.

And yeah, if NYC disappeared that would kill the FC tax base which in turn would kill CT.

CT seems like it would just wither and die without NYC. The state is largely hollow and without an identity.

Really, how can that be? What about Twain's: CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court? CT is also the insurance capital of the world... Also modern firearms birthplace. How can it not have an identity? :nana:

Really, how can that be? What about Twain's: CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court? CT is also the insurance capital of the world... Also modern firearms birthplace. How can it not have an identity? :nana:

LOL.

For those that don't know, Hartford fumbled away the core of the insurance industry years ago and is now actively driving what remains of the firearms industry out of the state. Oh well, we can always create more unionized state government jobs!

LOL.

For those that don't know, Hartford fumbled away the core of the insurance industry years ago and is now actively driving what remains of the firearms industry out of the state. Oh well, we can always create more unionized state government jobs!

That's right... Allstate and State Farm are based out of Illinois. ;-)

Wow... These two states are like peas in a pod... I guess CT did have colonial claims all the way west through the Western Reserve (Ohio) and into where present day IL is... ;-)

That's right... Allstate and State Farm are based out of Illinois. ;-)

Wow... These two states are like peas in a pod... I guess CT did have colonial claims all the way west through the Western Reserve (Ohio) and into where present day IL is... ;-)

As far as I know the CT public pension system is not about to bankrupt the state. This is a major difference.