Sammy Watkins to Jags odds just went up..

I don't think Caldwell is going QB at 3. He has said repeatedly he won't reach for a QB and that is what that would be based on the big boards. I think he will take one later. Signed Henne to an extension. JMO. Also - Watkins can return kicks for them so not totally dependent on QB for success.

And how important are kick returners in the 2014 version of the NFL? . . . little to none!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care who this guy goes to. The fact is that he will be gone by the top 7 and not available for the Bills. If he does drop to #9, due to some weirdness in the teams drafting prior to us, we have a great trade down piece given to us and can sell to the highest bidder. A third pick in the first two rounds is more valuable than the improvement in WR by adding this guy and leaving a hole at DE, LB or RIGHT offensive tackle.

I really don't care who this guy goes to. The fact is that he will be gone by the top 7 and not available for the Bills. If he does drop to #9, due to some weirdness in the teams drafting prior to us, we have a great trade down piece given to us and can sell to the highest bidder. A third pick in the first two rounds is more valuable than the improvement in WR by adding this guy and leaving a hole at DE, LB or RIGHT offensive tackle.

Dear God What holes? RT can be addressed in round 2 or 3. The Bills have good LB's. Maybe we need a DE maybe not. We were in most games, gave at least 3 away. This team right now is NOT that far off being in the playoffs. If EJ can step up in year 2 and stay healthy that in its self is huge.

I say trade up, get a player who can make a huge impact now, draft RT in round 2 and lets get moving toward camp

Dear God What holes? RT can be addressed in round 2 or 3. The Bills have good LB's. Maybe we need a DE maybe not. We were in most games, gave at least 3 away. This team right now is NOT that far off being in the playoffs. If EJ can step up in year 2 and stay healthy that in its self is huge.

I say trade up, get a player who can make a huge impact now, draft RT in round 2 and lets get moving toward camp

I mostly agree with you, but I don't think Sammy Watkins is the guy. I know, heresy. But we just traded for Mike Williams, who is of similar stature (6'2 to 6'1 and a couple more pounds), is only a hair slower (4.5 to 4.4) and already has a proven track record as an extremely good route runner, with an impressive vertical and ball skills. We already have a Sammy Watkins mold veteran in a very reasonable contract, so I would trade up for Mike Evans before I would Sammy Watkins.

I continue to believe that...

1) Watkins will be gone to STL at 2

2) Jax will take Mack

3) Either Jax or Houston will take Garoppolo in round 2--from what I've heard they both like him a LOT

Stl will take a WR in the top ten two years in a row? It's Millen-esque...

Stl will take a WR in the top ten two years in a row? It's Millen-esque...

It's either that or spend a top 5 pick on a position (OT) that they're already paying $18M/year for in Long and Saffold.

I suspect that it really just comes down to BPA--I think it's Watkins.

IMO Millen's failure was that he drafted WRs because he placed a premium on the position, not on player ability.

It's either that or spend a top 5 pick on a position (OT) that they're already paying $18M/year for in Long and Saffold.

I suspect that it really just comes down to BPA--I think it's Watkins.

IMO Millen's failure was that he drafted WRs because he placed a premium on the position, not on player ability.

Don't forget, Brian Schottenheimer runs a horizontal offense specializing in 3-yard passes:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/73320714/will-the-st-louis-rams-draft-a-quarterback-to-replace-sam-bradford#!HDFZx

I mostly agree with you, but I don't think Sammy Watkins is the guy. I know, heresy.

And I agree with you. In fact, I would not want the Bills to draft Watkins even if he dropped to #9. This draft is said to be absolutely stacked at WR. Gil Brandt says there are 8 players who are first round quality. They could trade down and easily draft a WR.

This team isn't strong enough to throw away multiple picks on 1 receiver. We don't even know if we have a decent quarterback (talk about heresy). If they really feel as if they have to move, I hope they move down, get an extra pick or 2, and draft a quarterback.

And I agree with you. In fact, I would not want the Bills to draft Watkins even if he dropped to #9. This draft is said to be absolutely stacked at WR. Gil Brandt says there are 8 players who are first round quality. They could trade down and easily draft a WR.

This team isn't strong enough to throw away multiple picks on 1 receiver. We don't even know if we have a decent quarterback (talk about heresy). If they really feel as if they have to move, I hope they move down, get an extra pick or 2, and draft a quarterback.

I agree. But perhaps not for the same reason. I think we are more than adequate at WR. More than adequate at every skill position on the offense for that matter. Other than the one that matters most of course. This offense - and team for that matter - hinges on how ej performs.

O-line or Aaron Donald please. Assuming they won't pick a qb regardless.

Edited by QB Bills

Caldwell knows that Watkins is on everyone's radar and is trying to get value if it's available in a trade. "If you want Watkins, we might take him, so you better trade with us instead of Browns/Raiders/Falcons..."

Jax is either going to get Mack or Clowney. I'm thinking Texans take Mack, Rams take Robinson, and Jags get Clowney, unless any of those teams are blown away with a trade offer. Then Browns and Raiders have to take QBs- too risky not to. Falcons want an OT so they trade back with the Bills. Bills take Watkins. BOOM.

Caldwell knows that Watkins is on everyone's radar and is trying to get value if it's available in a trade. "If you want Watkins, we might take him, so you better trade with us instead of Browns/Raiders/Falcons..."

Jax is either going to get Mack or Clowney. I'm thinking Texans take Mack, Rams take Robinson, and Jags get Clowney, unless any of those teams are blown away with a trade offer. Then Browns and Raiders have to take QBs- too risky not to. Falcons want an OT so they trade back with the Bills. Bills take Watkins. BOOM.

While that is certainly possible, they could also really want Watkins. Caldwell didn't say anything about him to my knowledge, he was just answering a question from the media about Blackmon. That said, he could be gone at 2.

Garappolo to Watkins for years to come in Jax.

I can see this too.

While that is certainly possible, they could also really want Watkins. Caldwell didn't say anything about him to my knowledge, he was just answering a question from the media about Blackmon. That said, he could be gone at 2.

Yeah I can see the Bills still trading with with Atlanta to jump Tampa so they can pick Evans if Watkins is gone. Evans would be a nice consolation prize, and even tho I think Watkins is superior, Evans may be the better fit for the Bills after all.

Comments like "Watkins to the Jags" is meant to somehow install fear into the minds of fans. Personally, I think this makes it that much easier to plan for the draft. If every team in the top-8 listed the 3 guys they would pick in any order, you would likely know 5-6 picks before the Bills selection at #9. Knowing that makes narrowing down the options of picks that much better.

2) Jax will take Mack

3) Either Jax or Houston will take Garoppolo in round 2--from what I've heard they both like him a LOT

If two teams really like a qb as a rd 2 pick, then it's likely he'll go in rd 1.

2) Jax will take Mack

Bills trade up to 3. To take MACK. (Atlanta was going to trade to 4 with Cleveland for Mack, since Clowney is gone already). Jax can still get WR at 9 (evans? Beckham?), and/or use the ammo to trade back up later to get a QB.

Edited by maddenboy

Bills trade up to 3. To take MACK. (Atlanta was going to trade to 4 with Cleveland for Mack, since Clowney is gone already). Jax can still get WR at 9 (evans? Beckham?), and/or use the ammo to trade back up later to get a QB.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. Yes, Mack is an excellent athlete, and we could find a way to use him. But we would have to shuffle players, because we already have a decent set of OLBs in Kiko and Lawson, and Mack is less suited as a MLB. It is one thing if the skies clear, light shines down from the heavens and he falls to you, and another to burn a monstrous amount of picks from this year, and possibly next to take someone at 3 who doesn't immediately be a game changer at that spot.