Dad: ''Son, I love ya''

I guess it's a good thing I don't have kids. He taught his kid that the first step over the edge is the scariest. You'll fall probably more times that you'll not fall in the beginning. Falling is part of skating and if you learn how to fall so you don't hurt yourself the more likely yuo are to practice over and over again until you get it right. My dad was a ski instructor and of course this wasn't his teaching method but it would have worked on me. Just do it ya chicken. :devil:

Yep... I didn't think the incident was THAT bad... I was expecting worse. I mean, they have been on that ramp a lot... Yeah he kicked him down, but it is sorta a "controlled" fall... Outside the kick and surprise of the kick that is ;-) ;-)

My son has been playing for about 3 years now. Maybe it is here in the Midwest (the game is fairly new to the area within the last 10 years), but they call: "illegal body check." I was gonna ask JH what that means. My son plays varsity (sophmore), I thought body checking was legal? Also, some of the refs tend to suck here... One father called off sides for the ref (that he grossly missed) while sitting in the stands... LoL... Then the ref whistled it... LoL

Also... I am showing my age... But are almost all fields now "Astro Play" turf (Play Turf)?... I never realized how many of those little rubber pellets that one picks up in their shoes during practice/game! LoL... Kids don't get dirty! LoL... Unless they practice on the grass fields...

I might be wrong but your not supposed to run and hit into the other person. Your supposed to place your stick on the persons body then push them out of the way. Not thrust your stick into the person effectively hitting them hard with the stick. Although you can whack away at the person with the ball to dislodge it. And poke checks are ok.

I might be wrong but your not supposed to run and hit into the other person. Your supposed to place your stick on the persons body then push them out of the way. Not thrust your stick into the person effectively hitting them hard with the stick. Although you can whack away at the person with the ball to dislodge it. And poke checks are ok.

I'm not so sure about high school rules, but I know the NCAA's have changed their rules recently. You can still body check another player legally, unless the player is deemed defenseless (i.e., head down picking up a ground ball, turned head receiving a pass,etc...). When I played college lacrosse, you could get away with just about any hit unless it was from behind or a cross-check was involved. In the youth leagues, from what I've seen here, they allow stick checks but no body checking.

I'm not so sure about high school rules, but I know the NCAA's have changed their rules recently. You can still body check another player legally, unless the player is deemed defenseless (i.e., head down picking up a ground ball, turned head receiving a pass,etc...). When I played college lacrosse, you could get away with just about any hit unless it was from behind or a cross-check was involved. In the youth leagues, from what I've seen here, they allow stick checks but no body checking.

They probably are more physical at the college level but at the high school they are extremely injury and law suit paranoid and really trying to eliminate the body check at that level. IMHO. I played hockey, football and lacrosse a long time ago where you could really light up people (mostly me getting lit up it seemed). But the game is so different now from what I remember, which is probably a good thing because it is safer and relies more on ball skills and physical speed more than hitting ability.

They probably are more physical at the college level but at the high school they are extremely injury and law suit paranoid and really trying to eliminate the body check at that level. IMHO. I played hockey, football and lacrosse a long time ago where you could really light up people (mostly me getting lit up it seemed). But the game is so different now from what I remember, which is probably a good thing because it is safer and relies more on ball skills and physical speed more than hitting ability.

They have to take a "concussion test" @ the start of the year. They answer memory type questions... I talked to my son and kids are already trying to figure out ways around it. I said: "Like huh? Answer the wrong way so when your bell gets rung, you got it "right?" LoL... I guess he said that they will know if you are trying to game the system... Oh my! What? Dumb kids have an advantage? LoL

post-1877-0-30187000-1398955685_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of my son, #9... On his 0-10 LAX team... 0 & 10? Oh my! A true "BFLO gamer" in the making! LoL... They just can't score! I think I will have to start shouting: "SHOOT!" @ the games... LoL... Not making excuses, but they only have one team... Varsity now... There are about 15 underclassmen on the team. This picture was @ a tourney for only underclassmen, JV/Freshmen... They did well and took second place (silver) with a short-bench. He said they were out of gas during the final game. Good thing is about 6 years ago his team was bad and went 0 for whatever... Had all younger guys... The next season they went from worst to first and finished tops in their conference... There is hope! As it always springs eternal! ;-)

They have to take a "concussion test" @ the start of the year. They answer memory type questions... I talked to my son and kids are already trying to figure out ways around it. I said: "Like huh? Answer the wrong way so when your bell gets rung, you got it "right?" LoL... I guess he said that they will know if you are trying to game the system... Oh my! What? Dumb kids have an advantage? LoL

Here's a picture of my son, #9... On his 0-10 LAX team... 0 & 10? Oh my! A true "BFLO gamer" in the making! LoL... They just can't score! I think I will have to start shouting: "SHOOT!" @ the games... LoL... Not making excuses, but they only have one team... Varsity now... There are about 15 underclassmen on the team. This picture was @ a tourney for only underclassmen, JV/Freshmen... They did well and took second place (silver) with a short-bench. He said they were out of gas during the final game. Good thing is about 6 years ago his team was bad and went 0 for whatever... Had all younger guys... The next season they went from worst to first and finished tops in their conference... There is hope! As it always springs eternal! ;-)

A good friend of mine, and former teammate, coaches at New Trier HS in the north suburbs of Chicago. Is that anywhere near you? I think they won the Illinois state championship like 5 years in a row. I went to visit him years ago, and didn't believe that there was really good HS lacrosse happening in the midwest (biased being from CNY). Boy was I wrong. They were really good. I think they have to travel a lot to find good competition though. They play teams in NY, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, and Maryland.

Great pic! Thanks for sharing! Your son looks intense there in that picture.

My sons team struggled to score as well. I always tried to get them to watch hockey and soccer games as well because the concepts are the same to get the shooter in a good scoring position. At least they listened to me on setting pick and rolls to shake a defender in front of the net.

A good friend of mine, and former teammate, coaches at New Trier HS in the north suburbs of Chicago. Is that anywhere near you? I think they won the Illinois state championship like 5 years in a row. I went to visit him years ago, and didn't believe that there was really good HS lacrosse happening in the midwest (biased being from CNY). Boy was I wrong. They were really good. I think they have to travel a lot to find good competition though. They play teams in NY, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, and Maryland.

New Trier is north of Chicago. We are far south, almost on the Indiana line.

Marian Catholic's (built in 1958) notable alumni though the years have been:

Mike Prior, RB Green Bay (1980's)

John Holecek, LB Bills (from my village I live in... Played youth football in town, Marian, then UofI)

That dirt bag (J/K): Rodney Harrison, Safety for the Evil Team from Foxboro

Dennis Kelly, OL Philadelphia... Current player

Also: They are ranked as the top band in Illinois, if not the Midwest and possibly up there for the country... LoL... They take band very, VERY seriously! EDIT: I am very proud of the band, they are very good and intense!

Also: Shonda Rhimes ('87), creator of Grey's Anatomy.

So... The Dominican Sisters out of Springfield, IL haven't done bad in the last 56 years...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois