Dad: ''Son, I love ya''

I remember when I was three, and had a swim teacher throw me in the deep end of the pool and saying "Come here...and if you don't stop crying, I'll throw you in again." I didn't stop crying; he threw me in about five more times.

Now that would be child abuse? Used to be called "teaching."

I remember when I was three, and had a swim teacher throw me in the deep end of the pool and saying "Come here...and if you don't stop crying, I'll throw you in again." I didn't stop crying; he threw me in about five more times.

That's a sad story.

Maybe it taught you how to swim, but it certainly didn't teach you to stop crying.

:)

Edited by Cugalabanza

Some of us got in trouble in shop class in the late 70s for goofing around during a movie. When the movie was done the teacher had us empty our pockets, put the items in the middle of the table and reach for them while he broke out a paddleball paddle...the ones with holes in them. We each got three bone-rattling shots.

Today I'd get a check and he'd be collecting pay and pension while sitting in a rubber room for a year. Back then he was ultimately promoted to principal.

This explains a lot.

Did he call you an idiot too?

Outside of Parris Island circa 1956, when has that ever been a method of teaching people how to swim?

Big difference. Being thrown into water and forced to swim, while uneccessary, can teach someone to swim. This guy kicked the kids skateboard off the ramp. There was no chance of him being able to control himself successfully and actually learn something. It was just frustration on the father's part and it was no more than trying to hurt his son for not being able to do what he wanted him to.

I'm currently teaching my 4 year old how to play lacrosse. He likes to run around with the ball in his stick, but he gets upset and pouts when I check his stick and take the ball away. I try to tell him that it is just part of the game, and encourage him to try to get the ball away from me. I'm trying to prepare him for the youth summer leagues which begin at age 7. Those kids really go after each other.

Just wait until he turns 5, and I start to administer teeth-rattling body checks as part of his training regiment :devil:

Seriously though...that video was pretty messed up.

That's how I learned how to swim circa 1965 or 1966

LoL... Glad you swam and didn't sink! :D

Whatever way you look @ it, it is still a ludicrous way to learn how to swim. My mother was deathly afraid of swimming her whole life because of this method. He goal was always to avoid swimming @ all cost.

I still can't get over the manager of the park looking like he is 50, wearing a straight brim hat and it saying Vans. Douche.

I'm currently teaching my 4 year old how to play lacrosse. He likes to run around with the ball in his stick, but he gets upset and pouts when I check his stick and take the ball away. I try to tell him that it is just part of the game, and encourage him to try to get the ball away from me. I'm trying to prepare him for the youth summer leagues which begin at age 7. Those kids really go after each other.

Just wait until he turns 5, and I start to administer teeth-rattling body checks as part of his training regiment :devil:

I am scared if I have kids it will be the same way. I would be a pretty big hardass on stuff like that but more likely then not any kid I ever have (gulp!) would be a very good athlete.

My son played lacrosse in high school. Its a great game. They check pretty hard at the high school level. Do they even allow checking at the pee wee level?

My son played lacrosse in high school. Its a great game. They check pretty hard at the high school level. Do they even allow checking at the pee wee level?

My son has been playing for about 3 years now. Maybe it is here in the Midwest (the game is fairly new to the area within the last 10 years), but they call: "illegal body check." I was gonna ask JH what that means. My son plays varsity (sophmore), I thought body checking was legal? Also, some of the refs tend to suck here... One father called off sides for the ref (that he grossly missed) while sitting in the stands... LoL... Then the ref whistled it... LoL

Also... I am showing my age... But are almost all fields now "Astro Play" turf (Play Turf)?... I never realized how many of those little rubber pellets that one picks up in their shoes during practice/game! LoL... Kids don't get dirty! LoL... Unless they practice on the grass fields...

I guess it's a good thing I don't have kids. He taught his kid that the first step over the edge is the scariest. You'll fall probably more times that you'll not fall in the beginning. Falling is part of skating and if you learn how to fall so you don't hurt yourself the more likely yuo are to practice over and over again until you get it right. My dad was a ski instructor and of course this wasn't his teaching method but it would have worked on me. Just do it ya chicken. :devil:

Edited by Chef Jim