RIP Dr. Jack

Beerball

Heck of a life. Remember him from his time with the Braves, then being able to win a championship in Portland in '77. Always thought that as an analyst, he was among the best.

RIP

Very sad news for me. Seems like pieces of my chidhood are disappearing by the week. I was a huge Braves fan as a kid, and Jack Ramsay was a big part of that. Kind of a Marv Levy figure in a way. I have always followed the NBA, and Ramsay, even in his 80's was still one of the best analaysts out there. I remember he, Randy Smith and Jack Marin all came to my house once, to sign autographs at our back-yard Muscular Distrophy carnival. Still have all of their autographs...ha ha! Remember those MD carnivals? Do kids have those any more?

Anyways, those of you old enough to remember...from 1974-1977 or so, we had OJ Simpson, Gilbert Perreault and Bob McAdoo, all in their primes. Those were really great times for Buffalo pro sports...we were still young, and didn't know how much frustration was instore for us.

Those Jack Ramsay coached teams were so fun to watch. Three playoff seasons in a row (never could get past the Celtics or 76ers)... too bad ownership and management issues derailed them...they sold off all their best players....Ramsay re-signed as a result, and went on to win a championship in Portland with Bill Walton. Great coach...

RIP Dr Jack!

Couldn't really find a great Jack Ramsay moment on the old Youtube, but here he is, inducting Bob McAdoo into the NBA Hall of Fame, back in 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2Sw3DtRIM

Edited by Buftex

I met him twice.

The first time in the 1970's, my dad took me to Boulevard Mall where there was some autograph signings. I remember that the only autograph that I got was Jack, because his line was the shortest since everybody wanted McAdoo/Smith/Heard etc. LOL The only thing that I remember was that he asked me more questions than I asked him, especially about what I wanted to be when I grew up and how important a good education was and to get good grades at school.

The second time was around 1995, when I was changing planes on USAir in Philadelphia. He was sitting there (unnoticed) and we talked for a bit regarding the Braves. He said that he loved the City, loved the people, loved his players, and hated Paul Snyder with a passion. He then asked me about my kids and the importance of them getting a good education. He then introduced his son who was sitting next to him. He wanted to talk more about his son and his son's education (PhD) more than anything else. Apparently, his son is a college dean or something like that. I never realized until later on that the nickname "Dr. Jack" referred to his own PhD instead of his basketball knowledge.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during his Portland days. Can you imagine he and Walton together?

Well, they did do some games together, I believe, but to hear that conversation back at that time, it would have been something. If Walton did not get hurt that team could have been a dynasty too.

Very sad news for me. Seems like pieces of my chidhood are disappearing by the week. I was a huge Braves fan as a kid, and Jack Ramsay was a big part of that. Kind of a Marv Levy figure in a way. I have always followed the NBA, and Ramsay, even in his 80's was still one of the best analaysts out there. I remember he, Randy Smith and Jack Marin all came to my house once, to sign autographs at our back-yard Muscular Distrophy carnival. Still have all of their autographs...ha ha! Remember those MD carnivals? Do kids have those any more?

Anyways, those of you old enough to remember...from 1974-1977 or so, we had OJ Simpson, Gilbert Perreault and Bob McAdoo, all in their primes. Those were really great times for Buffalo pro sports...we were still young, and didn't know how much frustration was instore for us.

Those Jack Ramsay coached teams were so fun to watch. Three playoff seasons in a row (never could get past the Celtics or 76ers)... too bad ownership and management issues derailed them...they sold off all their best players....Ramsay re-signed as a result, and went on to win a championship in Portland with Bill Walton. Great coach...

RIP Dr Jack!

Couldn't really find a great Jack Ramsay moment on the old Youtube, but here he is, inducting Bob McAdoo into the NBA Hall of Fame, back in 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2Sw3DtRIM

579_183721a_lg.jpeg

Does anybody remember this magazine. I still have copies in our old house. Another cover had Punch Imlach, Lou Saban and Eddie Donovan (cartoon characters) playing poker, wheeling and dealing, hiding cards under the table, up their sleeves, etc.

Dr. Jack was so with it still even last year, right up until he had to go off the air.

Halfway through his tenure as coach of the Braves, my father offhandedly said "Yeah, I hung around with in Ocean City" My father went their every summer as a kid, and Dr. Jack did all his life, even up till this past summer............I never was able to talk my father into going up to him and telling him who he was.

$T2eC16NHJF4FFkevPuyoBSPZH,2KWg~~60_57.JPG